CFZ I’m expecting some surprises from Big Mac’s red zone playbook Sunday

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Here's the thing for me. Arizona game aside, the Cowboys have had huge leads every week. I mean, MASSIVE leads.

I think that is affecting the red zone woes. MM might not see fit to put too much on film when he's already up multiple scores halfway through the second quarter. As long as the Cowboys are winning, there's nothing wrong with leaving some tricks in the bag for when there's a tougher fight on hand.

shabazz

Reaction score
that's a real head-scratcher. why didn't he use those trick, gimmick crap against the cards? I guess one loss means nothing so you hold on to the good plays for tough teams. lol
I think they should save the good stuff till we get to the divisional round……don’t want to see the other teams be able to game plan for our “ annexation of Puerto Rico” play.

Lets keep that baby under wraps

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
that's a real head-scratcher. why didn't he use those trick, gimmick crap against the cards? I guess one loss means nothing so you hold on to the good plays for tough teams. lol
Tony Pollard said after the Cardinals game that the offensive line injuries saw them take a lot out of the playbook late in the week. In hindsight that was clearly a mistake.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two dropped red-zone TD passes by the TEs.

Does anyone know who screwed up the handoff where Dak and Pollard ran into each other? That was a TD for sure if executed properly.

Turn two of those into TDs and the numbers don't look bad. I don't think all of the struggles are fluky but I do think they'll regress to a more normal success rate as the season goes on.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.
Fools rush in ...

Me mates, THIS is not the time to start the gimmicks and complicate things in the RZ. Not with Fat Mac directing the calls. Gimmicks in a game this crucial is a great recipe for fumbles, picks and the confusion.

A Grand Idea!!! Work on the basics and do them well.
Duh!!!!!

links18

Reaction score
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.
We were among the best in the league in the red zone last year, but so far this year, we are among the worst. How do you explain that?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were among the best in the league in the red zone last year, but so far this year, we are among the worst. How do you explain that?
Well honestly I can’t.

As I said in the OP, this is a new offense with several new starters, an OL that due to injuries has yet to play together as a starting unit, and with there was no preseason PT with the starters in the new offense.

Those should not be excuses. Especially now in game 5 against a top opponent. It’s time for this offense to break through in the red zone. The good news is, the offense IS moving the ball. It just needs to execute better in the red zone. That simple.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Surprises are the problem. Just run the damn ball when you get inside the 5. It won’t work every time but it will work more than what we are doing. Don’t get cute and just keep it simple and execute.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Fun with small numbers.
2. Growing pains with a new offense.
3. Conservative decision-making in blowouts.

I think we're blowing it out of proportion. It'll regress to something more normal as the season goes along.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

Nice post and I’ll bet you’re right. They’ve probably had some surprises for this game worked out for a while.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

They better have some new plays ready to go that will score TDs, because you aint beating the 49ers kicking FGs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
For better or worse, this game has been circled and focused on as a measuring stick game.

Hopefully MM and DQ have deep bags and have the guys at a fever pitch to go get some payback

Huge confidence boost with a W. Lingering frustration and doubts with a L.

Should be a great game
Yep, the 49ers are the bully that keeps kicking our arse and taking our lunch money.

Are we going to grow some balls and punch the bully in the mouth or are we going to get punked again?

I guess we will find out Sunday night.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I totally agree Bob. I’m expecting the entire coaching staff to throw the kitchen sink at the 49ers. If we lose, so be it, but I doubt it will be for lack of effort.