CFZ I’m expecting some surprises from Big Mac’s red zone playbook Sunday

75boyz

Reaction score
Some will say lack of offensive success is based on the wrong play called. Others say based on how the play called was executed.
3 previous playcallers were fired and the one executing the plays still remains.

Will be interesting to visit this execution of play vs. play called debate once again as the season comes to an end.

jmo

CCBoy

Reaction score
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.
Defensive end receiving a 2 point reception is out there already...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do not be extra cute with the down-and-distance situation does not call for it. That is my only request of McCarthy's playcalling. Cutesy surfaced way too often for a number of years before this season.
Use change of pace deep opening plays only, unless behind by two scores or more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we’re having to come up with a bunch of gimmick plays to try and score in the redzone, it’s going to continue to be a problem.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think a little less creativity and more simplicity and execution of good plays would be nice. You can’t make a living surprising people in the Redzone. Use some bunch formations, some crossing routes, and some power formations, less running sideways. Find what our guys do well and keep working on it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
What bothers me is not only couldn't we get a touchdown many times we could have gotten a first down before the end zone and given us a whole fresh set of downs and we couldn't even get that.
Now I agree well executed plays that take advantage of your opponents mismatches are key.
But I am a big fan of might makes right and when I see the eagles need a yard for a first down touchdown or whatever they just bear down and push the other team backwards and get it unfortunately we are too soft a team to do that this is what bothers me.
When we get to the red zone we need to be the bully on the block and we are always the guy that gets his lunch taken and has to settle for the scraps that are left

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
For better or worse, this game has been circled and focused on as a measuring stick game.

Hopefully MM and DQ have deep bags and have the guys at a fever pitch to go get some payback

Huge confidence boost with a W. Lingering frustration and doubts with a L.

Should be a great game

starfan1

Reaction score
not to be a debbie downer but im not expecting anything different especially with no Tyron. Not sure they completely trust Edoga

bigE79

Reaction score
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.
A big help would be to stop those stupid friggin screens that never work..total waste of a down.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Cowboys were in vanilla mode for the first 4 games. The season starts Sunday night in SF.

bigE79

Reaction score
For better or worse, this game has been circled and focused on as a measuring stick game.

Hopefully MM and DQ have deep bags and have the guys at a fever pitch to go get some payback

Huge confidence boost with a W. Lingering frustration and doubts with a L.

Should be a great game
Lose to them again and it will start to get mental if it isn't already..Dak and the team have been talking about this game since training camp,now it's time to put up or shut up..a loss would be devastating.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Last time we played the ole Zeke at center was quite a surprise

Blackrain

Reaction score
Now once upon a time early in Daks career he was an integral part of our red zone offense he would routinely score six touchdowns a year and 20 plus first downs.

I think McCarthy is going to have to pull the stops out and have Dak use his legs in the red zone to make things happen in this game because I don't think it can be one by just kicking field goals and we really have no one else down there that can keep the defense honest if it's not there he needs to tuck it away and run like he used to.
He was a very effective weapon in the red zone and gave other team's defenses a lot to think about down there.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The Red Zone topic has been beaten to death. No one can stop referring to it. All the offense needs is a handful of chunk plays that score points. They could score a TD from inches outside of the Red Zone and fans would piss and moan the Red Zone numbers are trash.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hope so. No reason to pull any punches. Capitalize on every opportunity.