I am convinced Wade/Garret are holding back some things

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2318301 said:
Lmao! The coach that is 17-4 is a poor coach?? Wait, I forgot, every loss is because of Wade and every victory is because of Garrett. Continue looking stupid, I'll step aside.. ;)

I see your point. However, if a coach had a record of 160-10 but all ten of those losses were in the playoffs how good of a coach is he really? Winning reg season games is great but it doesn't mean squat if you can't go for the jugular in the playoffs.

links18

Reaction score
The problem with holding things back is that you still need to win the early season games. That loss, at home, to the Commanders is really going to hurt down the road and we really should have won that game. Tied 17-17 in the 3rd quarter, then down only 20-17 and 23-17, we completely abandoned the run and didn't get Felix a single touch. If they were holding back, then it was a really self-destructive thing to do.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Tass;2318318 said:
I see your point. However, if a coach had a record of 160-10 but all ten of those losses were in the playoffs how good of a coach is he really? Winning reg season games is great but it doesn't mean squat if you can't go for the jugular in the playoffs.

And I would side with you after he lost more than just his very first playoff appearance with the team. My thoughts on Wade aside, I just think it incredibly ignorant to claim a 17-4 coach sucks because Dallas lost their first playoff game with him. I have 21 regular seasons game to judge him by and 17-4 is damn good. I have one playoff game to compare him to and the record is not good, but it isn't complete either. You can't get an average from one number.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
links18;2318322 said:
The problem with holding things back is that you still need to win the early season games. That loss, at home, to the Commanders is really going to hurt down the road and we really should have won that game.

It won't hurt as much as you think. I have no worries about us going into their house and beating them down. You will see a different game, holding back or not. We will tie them in our division, no doubt.

1fisher

Reaction score
I had the same thought driving home yesterday. I hope that's the case and we open up a can of Whoop $$$ soon. I believe we can do it.....

khiladi

Reaction score
As I said before, Wade and the offense went vanilla last year. On defense, I could not figure out any explanation for it, other than the fact, Wade didn't trust his LB corp in coverage. With the addition of Zach Thomas, I thought the base vanilla rushes would end and Wade would get back to bringing a lot more different looks up front. He has not done it.

As far as offense, the best game plan I ever saw was last year against Philly, when TO was moved all around in the slot. Patrick Crayton had that nice little route where he adjusted to the blitz and scored a TD. That type of game-plan has been a rarity. TO is not moved around very much in the slot at least, nor are we seeing plenty of quick slants which are his bread-and-butter and would negate somewhat the impact of the double-teams against him.

I remember this sentiment being voiced when Zim was the DC.

"This can't be all we have! He must have something up his sleeve..."

This difference is, Wade has showed things up his sleeve, and these things, such as the Wade-Spencer-Ellis package, were quite successful. For some reason, he has stopped.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2318328 said:
And I would side with you after he lost more than just his very first playoff appearance with the team. My thoughts on Wade aside, I just think it incredibly ignorant to claim a 17-4 coach sucks because Dallas lost their first playoff game with him.

Wade has never won a playoff game with any team he was the head coach of. This goes beyond just Dallas, man.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I like Garrett but I don't think he is one of those guys who knows how to keep defenses off balance. At least he has not shown that. I think an announcer said the other day that Dallas pretty much tells you what they are going to do and you have to try to stop it.

Norv Turner and Sean Peyton are masters of this I think. They are very good at it. We need to stop trying to force our game plan and adjust to what the defense is giving us more.

Like I said yesterday, we did not have 1 screen pass against the Skins or against Cinn. No pass plays designed for the RB that I saw in either game.

We need to mix it up more and then you would stop some of these set D's to take away T.O. and Witten.

At this point a team pretty much feels like if it can take T.O. out of the game they can keep it close even if Witten gets 7-9 catches because in 90% of our pass plays Witten or T.O are target #1.