I am off the Will McClay bandwagon

Rayman70

Reaction score
*** do folks think Sean Lee is the answer? lmao...what has he shown over the last 2 years? He isnt much different than Jaylon in the respect he misses his reads and misses tackles. He will not solve anything.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that our players were drafted to fit into Marinelli and Richard’s system of defense. They won’t be a good fit in different systems being run. Nolan’s defense is very different than Marinelli’s especially the responsibilities along the DL. Not defending McClay but he was looking for guys with specific skill sets that he would never consider for Nolan.
I agree.

If Nolan stays or whomever succeeds him...

then they have to have time to find that personnel.

Clay is a very very strong reason why we were competitive at all.

He will improve if he has the resources. That to me is the question with FA help.

That takes cash upfront to bring guys that will make an impact. Now that we have taken a face plant and struggling..

players looking for a SB ring are going to steer clear of us until we fix the problems.

I doubt we are active at the trade deadline as we just cut 3 guys we could find no teams with any interest. Players like Jaylon and Tank are unreadable due to their contracts. So Clay can't do much unless the FO changes its intentions to sign Dak again by the Tag.

That leaves the draft as the lifeblood for us but we have to stop with the reclamation projects like Jaylon and not take guys like Wolf Hunter with histories of neck injuries and short careers at the college level.

That has repeatedly only been of limited help.

At this point with so many holes to fill..drafting BPA becomes the answer. Clay and his scouts should be able to unearth what we need. Especially if we are drafting in the top 10 the next couple of years.

And now character becomes a big issue going forward. With all the player finger pointing and controversy this year..Dallas needs guys that are leaders at their positions.

McCarthy has to have a steady group of evaluators to be successful to find all of these needed players.

I hope there is no shakeup there.

:(

Last edited:

lostar2009

Reaction score
Soon enough Jerruah and his son incompetence got will looking bad

Kaiser

Reaction score
Agree for the most part, although the McClay and the rest of the Cowboys personnel staff nailed this past NFL 2020 draft.

We really don't know from the outside, but it seems like McClay is drafting better with this coaching staff because they are "player over scheme" guys who aren't pushing for a position fit and the position flexibility that Marinelli/Richard wanted.

But the other side of that is the Free Agent side was a disaster and you have to wonder how much of that was the new coaches wanting "their guys". Clinton-Dix was definitely a McCarthy guy and he didn't even make the opening day roster. McCoy was a fluke injury but the current coaches had to have signed on Donatari Poe and that was as bad as Clinton-Dix.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Were bargain shopping and drafting inquired players, how much is it on Will and how much is it the Jones?

fivetwos

Reaction score
*** do folks think Sean Lee is the answer? lmao...what has he shown over the last 2 years? He isnt much different than Jaylon in the respect he misses his reads and misses tackles. He will not solve anything.
All Lee is doing is pushing Bernard further down the depth chart.

Is Bernard a savior? Probably not, but it would be nice to get him some snaps and find that out.

What I CAN tell you for almost sure....is that Sean Lee isnt on the Cowboys for their next playoff game.

jjktkk

Reaction score
We really don't know from the outside, but it seems like McClay is drafting better with this coaching staff because they are "player over scheme" guys who aren't pushing for a position fit and the position flexibility that Marinelli/Richard wanted.

But the other side of that is the Free Agent side was a disaster and you have to wonder how much of that was the new coaches wanting "their guys". Clinton-Dix was definitely a McCarthy guy and he didn't even make the opening day roster. McCoy was a fluke injury but the current coaches had to have signed on Donatari Poe and that was as bad as Clinton-Dix.
Preseason I actually thought this current Cowboy's bunch had a shot at making a playoff run. I was impressed Jerry opened his wallet for the defense and I expected the offense to be a fast, explosive, group.. Along with the new coaching staff, I was cautiously optimistic. Well, obviously I was duped, but the question remains, what was the reason for this putrid season? Multiple injuries, bad offseason FA additions? Our star players on defense, DLAW, Smith, and Vander Esh, all underachieving? Maybe all these reasons, who knows.:huh:

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Preseason I actually thought this current Cowboy's bunch had a shot at making a playoff run. I was impressed Jerry opened his wallet for the defense and I expected the offense to be a fast, explosive, group.. Along with the new coaching staff, I was cautiously optimistic. Well, obviously I was duped, but the question remains, what was the reason for this putrid season? Multiple injuries, bad offseason FA additions? Our star players on defense, DLAW, Smith, and Vander Esh, all underachieving? Maybe all these reasons, who knows.:huh:

If the free agents like McCoy, Poe and Clinton-Dix had been even average players this team would have as much talent as any team in the NFL. I think those three collapsing is part of it, but mostly the lack of an offseason to put in the defense. IMO once everyone was behind the curve on that both players and coaches had a bunch of problems snowball with the injuries just adding fuel to the fire.

quickccc

Reaction score

JayFord

Reaction score
The Fa class we got was built off low risk and high reward and sometimes that just backfires

the draft class right now is good to me

Lamb is a steal...no way we shouldve landed him and Diggs is going to be good hes just going through growing pains and the rest of the defense isnt helping him

Biadiaz is going to be a starter here for a long time the guy can play hes just a rookie and isnt in a favorable position

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I knew what I needed to know about McClay when he thought Charlton was a better pick than Watt.

Just that simple.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I still like Will McClay. He's been too good for too long to let one outlier season spoil the soup he is cooking.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And why do we have a limited budget.?

Becuz we over invest our cap into 6-8 players the Jones love.

and we consider defense as an annoying issue to be economized..

and the Jones pay for sizzle with their offense to sell tickets and team merchandise.

There is no limit there. That much is abundantly clear.
Maybe so, but that's more about Jerry than McClay

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I still think many of the players on this team are talented. But I think the culture is toxic and makes them privileged and lazy.

I have no doubts if Zeke were drafted by the Ravens, he would not only have a Super Bowl ring, but he'd be closer to the Hall of Fame.

Dallas is a place where players come if they want to lose their motivation and incentive for greatness.
Unfortunately, this is a good analysis.