I don't care if we draft nothing but LBs and OL in April

VACowboy

Reaction score
Give me...

Kevin Barry, LeCharles Bentley and Ryan Longwell in FA.

Then draft...

1. Bobby Carpenter (OLB)
2. Charles Spencer (OG)
3. Mark Anderson (OLB)
5. Anthony Schlegel (ILB)

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Somewhere in there I'd like a FS whether it bin in FA or the draft. Don't know if I'd want a 6th or 7th rounder as the starting FS. Plus unfortunately I don't think that Schlegel lasts until round 5. I really wish we could pick up a 4th.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Gotta get a WR somewhere.

Ohhhhhh Yeah... I knew I was forgetting a position.. Qwick, any 6th or 7th round prospects with tons of upside on your board?

wood28

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Give me...

Kevin Barry, LeCharles Bentley and Ryan Longwell in FA.

Then draft...

1. Bobby Carpenter (OLB)
2. Charles Spencer (OG)
3. Mark Anderson (OLB)
5. Anthony Schlegel (ILB)

Chris Hope, LeCharles Bentley and Ryan Longwell in FA.

1. Many Lawson over (or) Bobby Carpenter
2. Charles Spencer
3. Kai Parham
5. Drew Olson
6. best WR
7. maybe DT

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
wood28 said:
Chris Hope, LeCharles Bentley and Ryan Longwell in FA.

1. Many Lawson over (or) Bobby Carpenter
2. Charles Spencer
3. Kai Parham
5. Drew Olson
6. best WR
7. maybe DT

Don't get me wrong, I think Lawson will be a good OLB.. But two things about Lawson. First he'll have to learn to play out in space after having played in college as a DE. and the second, I think he's better suited for WOLB. Carpenter has already been at the position, so he doesn't have to learn all the ins and outs of LB.

wood28

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Don't get me wrong, I think Lawson will be a good OLB.. But two things about Lawson. First he'll have to learn to play out in space after having played in college as a DE. and the second, I think he's better suited for WOLB. Carpenter has already been at the position, so he doesn't have to learn all the ins and outs of LB.

I agree, its why Lawson OR Carpenter is a good pick in 1st for me.
I just think Lawson is more playmaker and better pass rusher than Carpenter and we need big plays in our D ... but you never now.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't care what ya'll say, I would draft Carpenter and move him inside.

FA = Hutchinson/Lecharles Bentley/ Nedney

1. Bobby Carpenter (move to ILB. I'd move him around all over the field.
2. Darryl Tapp (OLB) better sack artist than Ware/ run stuffer
3. Pat Watkins
3. Charles Spencer (trade for Ellis)
5. Jeff Littlejohn DT (6'1 323)
7. Willie Hall RT(6'6 315)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Ohhhhhh Yeah... I knew I was forgetting a position.. Qwick, any 6th or 7th round prospects with tons of upside on your board?

TCU WR COrey Rodgers

averaged 8 TDs a year, kid is a playmaker

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I don't care what ya'll say, I would draft Carpenter and move him inside.

:jerk:

hehe

Cowboy_love_4ever said:
2. Darryl Tapp (OLB) better sack artist than Ware

VERY debatable, Ware's long arms, and ability to keep his shoulders low while turning the corner give him an edge over Tapp

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:jerk:

hehe

VERY debatable, Ware's long arms, and ability to keep his shoulders low while turning the corner give him an edge over Tapp

Darryl Tapp - The knock on him is that he's too small to play DE and doesn't have blazing speed.

2005: 48 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 10 sacks, 35 QB hurries, 3 forced fumbles
2004: 60 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 interception, 1 pass breakup, 1 forced fumble
Strengths: Is powerful and well-built with a low center of gravity. Is explosive at the line of scrimmage, dropping his shoulder to get the edge. Shows a strong closing burst to the quarterback. Plays with leverage at the point of attack and uses his hands well to shed blockers. Has good instincts; finds the ball and can make plays on the ball carrier in the backfield and in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit and can make tackles in space. Plays with intensity.
Looking at Tapp, the first name that comes to my mind is Dwight Freeney. He's a little on the short side, compact with a muscular torso, long arms, and has a sick first step off the edge. He's probably not quite as fast as Freeney, but he's stronger, and can play the run better, so that's a big plus. Tapp is also a great tackler, fast in backside pursuit, and very smart in the angles he takes to the ball carrier. As I said, physically, he's a little short, but his arms are long and he more than makes up for it with his speed and quickness off the ball, as well as his ability to work the offensive lineman with his hands, where he’s shown great technique.
Darryl Tapp is simply a guy who works extremely hard to make his game better, and it definitely has translated to his play on the field. He doesn't have the prototypical size someone at his position should have, but he simply plays above his size. He is good at getting penetration off the line and getting past offensive lineman. One thing he excels at is his play against the run; his movement flows very well with the ball allowing him to make the play. He has nice range, great instincts, and makes good reads. He also has nice speed and athleticism allowing him to be quick rushing the edges. He is fine pass rusher and that will definitely be a nice variable for his draft resume. I don't know if he is physically ready for the next level, though -- I'm not sure if he can hold his own against NFL offensive lineman. Right now, I think Tapp will be selected around the latter part of the second round or early in the third round. His biggest downside is still his small size despite the fact that he does play above it. I think Tapp would be a good fit for 3-4 defensive schemes.
Darryl Tapp has always been knocked because of his size but he often takes advantage of his size to get excellent leverage on much taller less athletic offensive tackles. Tapp is very quick off the edge and sometimes bull rushes quite effectively. If he were 3 or 4 inches taller his name would be being mentioned with the likes of Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Tamba Hali. His 35 QB hurries are more than twice what the other top defensive ends produced. He projects to a second or third round draft pick and has the potential to be one of the biggest steals in the 2006 NFL Draft
One of the top rated pure pass rushers of the draft, makes up for his lack of size with his athletic ability: 4.68 40 - 415 bench- 660 squat- 340 power clean, uses his ability and size to expose slow footed OTs, leader on the field with a nonstop motor that his teammates feed off of

Darryl Tapp is one of the hardest working football players in the country. He’ll never be outworked on the field. His hard work paid off when he entered the starting lineup as a sophomore. He finished that season with 58 tackles, nine for loss, with three sacks. He upped all of those numbers as a junior, finishing with 60 tackles, 16.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks.
Tapp’s best trait is the passion he shows for the game. Nobody outworks him off the field, and he plays hard for a full 60 minutes on the field. With his work ethic, he has become one of the better playmakers on the defensive line. Tapp comes off the line very quick to disrupt plays. He is also one of the stronger ends in the draft. He can take on a blocker, get off, and make plays as a run stopper.
Very productive at the college level, and a huge part of the Hokies defensive success in '05. Very strong. Plays as hard as any player in the game. Has good fundamentals, and top intangibles.
Very productive pass rusher at the college level...Shows great strength...Intense and has a motor that never stops...Instinctive and flows to the ball...Technically sound and knows how to use leverage to his advantage...Has a great burst and really closes well...Does a good job of adjusting in space...A team leader and hard worker with top intangibles...A playmaker who is always around the action

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think Spencer will be gone in the second. I don't think there's any way we sign both Hutch and Bentley. I'd rather sign a tackle in FA and draft a guard, or vice versa, than acquire two guards.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I think Spencer will be gone in the second. I don't think there's any way we sign both Hutch and Bentley. I'd rather sign a tackle in FA and draft a guard, or vice versa, than acquire two guards.
How about Backus and Bentley then?:D

VACowboy

Reaction score
That's a LOT of hurries.

No way I'd trade Ware for Tapp. Tapp got to the QB a lot in college, but Tech plays a 46 defense that pretty much required that he rush the QB on every pla, occasionally dropping into coverage on a zone blitz. I'm not convinced he can play LB. He's not a great athlete.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Darryl Tapp - The knock on him is that he's too small to play DE and doesn't have blazing speed.

2005: 48 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 10 sacks, 35 QB hurries, 3 forced fumbles
2004: 60 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 interception, 1 pass breakup, 1 forced fumble
Strengths: Is powerful and well-built with a low center of gravity. Is explosive at the line of scrimmage, dropping his shoulder to get the edge. Shows a strong closing burst to the quarterback. Plays with leverage at the point of attack and uses his hands well to shed blockers. Has good instincts; finds the ball and can make plays on the ball carrier in the backfield and in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit and can make tackles in space. Plays with intensity.
Looking at Tapp, the first name that comes to my mind is Dwight Freeney. He's a little on the short side, compact with a muscular torso, long arms, and has a sick first step off the edge. He's probably not quite as fast as Freeney, but he's stronger, and can play the run better, so that's a big plus. Tapp is also a great tackler, fast in backside pursuit, and very smart in the angles he takes to the ball carrier. As I said, physically, he's a little short, but his arms are long and he more than makes up for it with his speed and quickness off the ball, as well as his ability to work the offensive lineman with his hands, where he’s shown great technique.
Darryl Tapp is simply a guy who works extremely hard to make his game better, and it definitely has translated to his play on the field. He doesn't have the prototypical size someone at his position should have, but he simply plays above his size. He is good at getting penetration off the line and getting past offensive lineman. One thing he excels at is his play against the run; his movement flows very well with the ball allowing him to make the play. He has nice range, great instincts, and makes good reads. He also has nice speed and athleticism allowing him to be quick rushing the edges. He is fine pass rusher and that will definitely be a nice variable for his draft resume. I don't know if he is physically ready for the next level, though -- I'm not sure if he can hold his own against NFL offensive lineman. Right now, I think Tapp will be selected around the latter part of the second round or early in the third round. His biggest downside is still his small size despite the fact that he does play above it. I think Tapp would be a good fit for 3-4 defensive schemes.
Darryl Tapp has always been knocked because of his size but he often takes advantage of his size to get excellent leverage on much taller less athletic offensive tackles. Tapp is very quick off the edge and sometimes bull rushes quite effectively. If he were 3 or 4 inches taller his name would be being mentioned with the likes of Mario Williams, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Tamba Hali. His 35 QB hurries are more than twice what the other top defensive ends produced. He projects to a second or third round draft pick and has the potential to be one of the biggest steals in the 2006 NFL Draft
One of the top rated pure pass rushers of the draft, makes up for his lack of size with his athletic ability: 4.68 40 - 415 bench- 660 squat- 340 power clean, uses his ability and size to expose slow footed OTs, leader on the field with a nonstop motor that his teammates feed off of

Darryl Tapp is one of the hardest working football players in the country. He’ll never be outworked on the field. His hard work paid off when he entered the starting lineup as a sophomore. He finished that season with 58 tackles, nine for loss, with three sacks. He upped all of those numbers as a junior, finishing with 60 tackles, 16.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks.
Tapp’s best trait is the passion he shows for the game. Nobody outworks him off the field, and he plays hard for a full 60 minutes on the field. With his work ethic, he has become one of the better playmakers on the defensive line. Tapp comes off the line very quick to disrupt plays. He is also one of the stronger ends in the draft. He can take on a blocker, get off, and make plays as a run stopper.
Very productive at the college level, and a huge part of the Hokies defensive success in '05. Very strong. Plays as hard as any player in the game. Has good fundamentals, and top intangibles.
Very productive pass rusher at the college level...Shows great strength...Intense and has a motor that never stops...Instinctive and flows to the ball...Technically sound and knows how to use leverage to his advantage...Has a great burst and really closes well...Does a good job of adjusting in space...A team leader and hard worker with top intangibles...A playmaker who is always around the action

Ware has a faster 40 time, and his 1st step was compared to Dwight Freeney's

son, Tapp will not be a 1st rounder, while Ware was the 11 selection, so again, it's VERY debatable that Tapp is a better pass-rusher than Ware

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Ware has a faster 40 time, and his 1st step was compared to Dwight Freeney's

son, Tapp will not be a 1st rounder, while Ware was the 11 selection, so again, it's VERY debatable that Tapp is a better pass-rusher than Ware
I wouldn't take him in the 1st - 2nd or 3rd I'd take him. He was a monster in the Senior bowl, he just has a knack for destroying tackles and getting to the QB. How he does it? I don't know, but he does.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I wouldn't take him in the 1st - 2nd or 3rd I'd take him. He was a monster in the Senior bowl, he just has a knack for destroying tackles and getting to the QB. How he does it? I don't know, but he does.

no doubt, but you said he's a better pass-rusher than Ware

not true

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Think of the slow small Zach Thomas. Or the slow Ricky Proehl - Or the undersized La'Roi Glover who was 6'2 280ish when he tallied up 17 sacks in New Orleans one year as a freaking DT.

I don't know how guys like Thomas dominates, or Proehl breaks off a bomb, or Glover gets 17 sacks, but guys like that and (Tapp) somehow get the job done....And a very good job.