I don't care if we draft nothing but LBs and OL in April

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's just shameful that we look at only speed or size (6'1 265 Tapp, actually pretty thick and strongggg) but we forget about production.

I saw this cat in some of the one on one drills at the senior bowl, and he was the only one that dominated. He consistantly stands up huge Tackles, and oh by the way, he abused Reggie McNeill twice in the senior bowl.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Okay my bad, maybe he's not better but here's Ware's stats in 2004.
And remember this, Tapp played against superior talent.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/ware_demarcus
Ware earned All-Sun Belt Conference honors the next two years, adding league Defensive Player of the Year honors while being named a finalist for the Hendricks Award (given to the nation's top defensive end) as a senior. He made 62 tackles (43 solos) with six sacks, 16 stops behind the line of scrimmage, 32 pressures and five forced fumbles in 2003. He capped off his career with 47 tackles (31 solos), 10½ sacks, 18 stops for losses, 27 pressures and four forced fumbles in 2004.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
me either, we need a mauler like Kevin Barry on the rightside

I'm not a Backus fan by any stretch....but I'd certainly take him over Kevin Barry.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
It's just shameful that we look at only speed or size (6'1 265 Tapp, actually pretty thick and strongggg) but we forget about production.

I saw this cat in some of the one on one drills at the senior bowl, and he was the only one that dominated. He consistantly stands up huge Tackles, and oh by the way, he abused Reggie McNeill twice in the senior bowl.

There's no doubt Tapp is good at rushing the passer and put up good numbers at Tech. But you have to be able to do a lot more than that to play linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Junk: I'll admit to not knowing a lot about Backus. I just know that he never struck me as the type of player you shell out the big bucks to in FA that it will take to sign him. I'd rather give Bentley the big money and add a guy like Barry who's young, can run block like a muther and will only get better.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Ohhhhhh Yeah... I knew I was forgetting a position.. Qwick, any 6th or 7th round prospects with tons of upside on your board?
Marques Colston (Hofstra).

Not quite as late as the 6th or 7th... but maybe in the 3rd-4th.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
There's no doubt Tapp is good at rushing the passer and put up good numbers at Tech. But you have to be able to do a lot more than that to play linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Junk: I'll admit to not knowing a lot about Backus. I just know that he never struck me as the type of player you shell out the big bucks to in FA that it will take to sign him. I'd rather give Bentley the big money and add a guy like Barry who's young, can run block like a muther and will only get better.

I agree on Backus.

I'm not sure that Barry would be an upgrade over what Dallas currently has. They tried him at G in GB and he struggled. And they had some serious holes at guard. He has never really pushed for a starting job in GB.

The big knock on him is that he is a big slow footed and struggles in pass protection.

I have friends from Green Bay and their assessment on him is lukewarm at best.

He might be a nice option, but I certainly wouldn't throw a lot of money at him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
VACowboy said:

One thing he excels at is his play against the run; his movement flows very well with the ball allowing him to make the play. He has nice range, great instincts, and makes good reads.
That was apart of Tapps bio.. He's a playmaker and that's that.
About Barry - our problems were mainly protecting DB. Now if Barry can do that first, then I'm all for him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
I certainly wouldn't throw a lot of money at him.

don't need to, that's the beauty of it all ;)

another OT I like is ATL's Kevin Shaffer, he's a LT, but since Vick is left-handed, he's basically a RT, and the Falcons were very good at running the football...

Backus just seems soft, and the Lions didn't like running the football alot this year

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
don't need to, that's the beauty of it all ;)

another OT I like is ATL's Kevin Shaffer, he's a LT, but since Vick is left-handed, he's basically a RT, and the Falcons were very good at running the football...

Backus just seems soft, and the Lions didn't like running the football alot this year
At this time, I'm more interested in his ability to protect Bledsoe. And if he gives us just a little bit in the running game, it's icing on the cake.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
One thing he excels at is his play against the run; his movement flows very well with the ball allowing him to make the play. He has nice range, great instincts, and makes good reads.
That was apart of Tapps bio.. He's a playmaker and that's that.
About Barry - our problems were mainly protecting DB. Now if Barry can do that first, then I'm all for him.

There's a big difference between playing the run at defensive end and running down ball carriers in space or covering TEs down the field. I know Tapp has talent. I know he made plays in college. But he did all that at DE. He's neither fast nor very athletic, and those are two things a DE needs to play in space and make the shift to OLB.