I feel like every year we have to talk about June 1 cuts

Sydla

Reaction score
I've seen it in a few threads, talking about how we can cut Cooks and Gallup and save $8MM and $9.5MM in cap space.

That is true. As June 1 cuts. And yes, you can designate someone a June 1 cut at any time before June 1. But by rule, you still have to carry the cap hit of that June 1 cut until June 1 on your books. You only get the cap savings post June 1.

So, take Gallup and his $9.5MM June 1 cap savings. If you cut him say in March, you cannot use his $9.5MM in cap savings to 1) be cap compliant by the start of the league year (mid March) and you can't use that $9.5MM to sign other players now. You'd have to create space somewhere else and essentially recoup it post June 1.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen it in a few threads, talking about how we can cut Cooks and Gallup and save $8MM and $9.5MM in cap space.

That is true. As June 1 cuts. And yes, you can designate someone a June 1 cut at any time before June 1. But by rule, you still have to carry the cap hit of that June 1 cut until June 1 on your books. You only get the cap savings post June 1.

So, take Gallup and his $9.5MM June 1 cap savings. If you cut him say in March, you cannot use his $9.5MM in cap savings to 1) be cap compliant by the start of the league year (mid March) and you can't use that $9.5MM to sign other players now. You'd have to create space somewhere else and essentially recoup it post June 1.
Same as previous years with regards to June 1st...

Reportedly, they can add a 3rd dummy year to Dak's existing contract AND spread out his current cap hit over this year plus the 3 dummy years.

Aven8

Reaction score
Gallup for sure. But you always wonder if these dudes are going to be attached and cut them before…….so they can catch on with a team…

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How this plays out this year is more interesting than this years SB.

I may be one of the few that will be ok with keeping both Gallup and Cooks. Who are you going to get to replace them for that type of money.
But if they go, they go.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but dumping a guy who makes what his production says he should make isn't the same as dumping a guy who doesn't. Especially if all you get out of the deal is Matt Waletzko.
We don’t know what Waletzgo has yet. And Amri’s production was slipping as well.

Toro9

Reaction score
I'd like to keep Cooks. He didn't get enough targets imo.

Gallup can go. I think Tolbert could be equally or more effective.

Need to draft a WR on day 2 regardless.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
June 1st signing can be fortuitous, it’ll facilitate taking on cap for any minicamp and training camp trades, as well as summer extensions. Micah is only a 5m$ cap hit this year, so that number will go up with a new contract. Nick Bosa’s signing Bosa was 50m$, which means with a 5 year deal, Micah’s 2024 cap number would be something north of 10m$

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Who cares, that money covers the draft class and then some. You are worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How this plays out this year is more interesting than this years SB.

I may be one of the few that will be ok with keeping both Gallup and Cooks. Who are you going to get to replace them for that type of money.
But if they go, they go.
Gallup’s numbers were worse this season than last year and he missed 3 games last year. He had 3 games where he had no catches. I’ll be surprised if he’s back next season. Cooks came on the second half of the season and had a few good games so I wouldn’t mind him returning. It would be hard to replace both him and Gallup. Jaylen Tolbert hasn’t been very impressive and we didn’t get to see enough of Brooks to know what he has.