I feel like every year we have to talk about June 1 cuts

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Just remember that post-June 1 cuts do not give any CAP relief until after June 1. But then free agency is over and what's left are usually the older players on the downside of their careers.
Depends. Teams only have a couple June-1 pre designated cuts, so potentially there is a second waive that good have some good names. You can also do some things with "gentleman's agreements" for post June FA signings before June 1.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct.

"A player can be cut as soon as the new league year begins in March and still be designated a June 1 cut, thus saving some cap space in the current year while pushing some of the hit into the following year. Teams are limited to the early (pre-June 1) designation of no more than two players per year as June 1 cuts."

It allows teams get out of bad contracts (Dak) and spread the hit over two seasons, instead of one.

Otherwise, we'd never be able to get under the cap.
Yes, you can designate 2 players as June 1 cuts, but they are not actually cut until after June 1. A team has them on the roster until June 2nd. There is no salary cap releif until the players come off the roster on June 2nd.

See this explanation: https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-post-june-1-designation

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, you can designate 2 players as June 1 cuts, but they are not actually cut until after June 1. A team has them on the roster until June 2nd. There is no salary cap releif until the players come off the roster on June 2nd.

See this explanation: https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-post-june-1-designation
Bingo.

If you cut Cooks and Gallup before June 1, it only saves close to $5MM in cap space. You still have to figure out where to find $15MM more to get in cap compliance.

My guess is Dak is going to get extended or restructured. Martin likely as well. Cooks make the most sense to cut pre June 1 as he saves $4MM (Gallup only saves like $800K). Lawrence and Diggs could also be restructured.

Lamb is likely getting a new deal which will chop down his cap hit as well.

EDIT: Technically you could also talk extension with Martin. He got his money so he might be willing to now work a more team friendly deal for a few years, assuming Dallas thinks he can play at a high level. If you extended him you could lower his cap hit this year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Post June 1 cut:

The cap savings are in the base and any bonus they are due to receive in 2024.

The Dead Cap is spread over two seasons.

example:

Dak is due 29 mill in base and 5 mill in a roster bonus in March.

His dead cap is 59+ million.

When he is cut, and gets designated as a June 1 cut, his dead cap is spread over 2024 and 2025.

We save 34 million in the base and bonus we dont have to pay.

Same deal with Gallup, LVE, etc.

who cares if we have to wait a few weeks to get the rest of the $$$.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bingo.

If you cut Cooks and Gallup before June 1, it only saves close to $5MM in cap space. You still have to figure out where to find $15MM more to get in cap compliance.

My guess is Dak is going to get extended or restructured. Martin likely as well. Cooks make the most sense to cut pre June 1 as he saves $4MM (Gallup only saves like $800K). Lawrence and Diggs could also be restructured.

Lamb is likely getting a new deal which will chop down his cap hit as well.

EDIT: Technically you could also talk extension with Martin. He got his money so he might be willing to now work a more team friendly deal for a few years, assuming Dallas thinks he can play at a high level. If you extended him you could lower his cap hit this year.

if they extend Dak anymore, they'll jack up the teams cap for a decade.

He's already got the 60 mill dead cap hanging over us.

Then add in 34 million in base and bonus for 2024.

Then add in any bonus money they have to pay just to restructure the mess for 2025 - ?

Why?

Our cap is jacked up enough already.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Just remember that post-June 1 cuts do not give any CAP relief until after June 1. But then free agency is over and what's left are usually the older players on the downside of their careers.

And also, The save you get in 2024, is matched by dead money in 2025. Gallup would bring about $6.5 MM in dead money in 2025. Cooks would be another $3 MM. The Cowboys have already god a lot of money pushed into 2025 for Dak, Zack Martin and Tyron. It adds up.
When they cut Zeke, they saved half of the base up front.

They got the rest of the 9 million post June 1.

Sydla

Reaction score
Post June 1 cut:

example:

When he is cut, and gets designated as a June 1 cut, his dead cap is spread over 2024 and 2025.

This is 100% inaccurate.

People have literally linked articles explaining how June 1 cuts work and you still keep getting this wrong.

For example, the Cowboys still have to carry the cap charge of $29MM base salary until June 1. It doesn't disappear if you cut him tomorrow and designate him a June 1 cut.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...cant-role-in-helping-teams-manage-salary-cap/

With a post-June 1 designation, a team is required to carry the player's full cap number until June 2 even though he is no longer a part of the roster. The player's salary comes off the books at that time unless it is guaranteed.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-post-june-1-designation-what-why-and-how/

However, there is one significant drawback to the post-June 1 designation: Teams have to carry the player’s full cap charge for the current season until June, even though he is no longer on the roster.
So no, if they cut Dak tomorrow and designate him June 1, they don't get $29MM in cap savings (his base salary) tomorrow. They have to carry that through until June 1 on their books.

Sydla

Reaction score
Post June 1 cut:

example:

Yes but that benefit doesn't come until June 1.

By rule, they still are required, for example, to carry the $29MM case on their salary cap UNTIL JUNE 1. It's kind of peculiar that you are ignoring the various articles people have linked that show you are wrong.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The point was that people were saying we can use Cooks and Gallup, for example, to get back under the cap. And the numbers they were using were June 1 cap savings.

The problem is you can't use June 1 cap savings now to meet the cap threshold by the start of the league year. It was pretty clear in my post.
Whatever...they will clear the money easily between Tank and Martin. It's a non issue. Dak will get restructured or extended. Instant cap space. Steele probably gets restructured, Donovan WIlson likely too. That all comes right away. Some guys will get cut....Rush, LVE...and I would imagine Cooks will just be a regular cut, not a June cut. We get more space this year if he is a June cut, but with all the other ways to get money, might as well get him off the books now.

Sydla

Reaction score
Whatever...they will clear the money easily between Tank and Martin. It's a non issue. Dak will get restructured or extended. Instant cap space. Steele probably gets restructured, Donovan WIlson likely too. That all comes right away. Some guys will get cut....Rush, LVE...and I would imagine Cooks will just be a regular cut, not a June cut. We get more space this year if he is a June cut, but with all the other ways to get money, might as well get him off the books now.
O course, thats clearly part of this. They are going to have to do other things to get under the cap by March 15th and then sign early FAs if they are really going to be aggressive. But Cooks and Gallup as June 1 cuts, isn't going to help either of those things.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Yes but that benefit doesn't come until June 1.

By rule, they still are required, for example, to carry the $29MM case on their salary cap UNTIL JUNE 1. It's kind of peculiar that you are ignoring the various articles people have linked that show you are wrong.
Does this mean they will extend Dak by March 13 to make some room?

Creeper

Reaction score
Tank and Martin are in the last year of their contracts. If they are restructured, that money will be dead money in 2025. We can't just ignore how much we are dumping into 2025 as if it will never come. They already have $25 million for Dak in 2025. Tank and Zack would have to be extended to get responsible CAP relief. I don't doubt they will but there are some people that think Zack is done or close to it. extending him pushes the problem out another year or 2.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tank and Martin are in the last year of their contracts. If they are restructured, that money will be dead money in 2025. We can't just ignore how much we are dumping into 2025 as if it will never come. They already have $25 million for Dak in 2025. Tank and Zack would have to be extended to get responsible CAP relief. I don't doubt they will but there are some people that think Zack is done or close to it. extending him pushes the problem out another year or 2.
I think there is a better than 50-50 chance both Lawrence and Martin get extended. Now some will freak out at that but both are still quite productive with no real threat of some sort of cliff fall off here. Tack on a couple of years, not a bad move.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think there is a better than 50-50 chance both Lawrence and Martin get extended. Now some will freak out at that but both are still quite productive with no real threat of some sort of cliff fall off here. Tack on a couple of years, not a bad move.
I would probably extend them It is a risk, but I think if they want to go all in this has to get done.

I just hope Jerry puts the CAP space to good use.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How this plays out this year is more interesting than this years SB.

I may be one of the few that will be ok with keeping both Gallup and Cooks. Who are you going to get to replace them for that type of money.
But if they go, they go.
I would keep Cooks, but I think there is no reason to keep Gallup around.

Jalen Tolbert looked like he has pretty much caught up to Gallup in ability this season. If he plays all the snaps Gallup did, I imagine you can get the same production for a fraction of the cap hit.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would keep Cooks, but I think there is no reason to keep Gallup around.

Jalen Tolbert looked like he has pretty much caught up to Gallup in ability this season. If he plays all the snaps Gallup did, I imagine you can get the same production for a fraction of the cap hit.
Probably. But I think Gallup was still recovering from his injury, though could been partly from mental thinking not to reinsure it.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Probably. But I think Gallup was still recovering from his injury, though could been partly from mental thinking not to reinsure it.
Perhaps. Just got a lot of money tied up at receiver and I just don't see a path forward where Gallup doesn't become a cap casualty.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So...the issue is....are you going all in or are you doing more of the same? If you are going all in, you do with the idea that you will have a couple years where you are going to have to rebuild. Doing more of the same is what we have done for the last 28 years. How has that worked out?