I had a dream I traveled back in time to the 1975 draft

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
I traveled back in time to the 1975 draft. What a draft, the best ever. I was actually physically there in person in 1975 in a NY hotel. Boy, those were the days. Baseball hot dogs, apple pie and the Dallas Cowboys. Three superstars taken in 74, 75 and 77, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, and Tony Dorsett. Turned around an aging team. This 75 draft produced more starting players than any Cowboy draft in history.

1Randy White HOF, The Manster, best player in draft, will all respect to Walter Payton
2Maryland
1B1B Thomas Henderson, LB, ran back kickoffs as a rookie with 9.5 speed, most athletic Cowboy LB ever; drugs shortened his career, Pro Bowl 1978; took an INT to the house and dunked ball over crossbar in 1978 NFC Championship; great entertainer; Lawrence Taylor took his number when drafted by Giants.18Langston
2Burton Lawless, starting right RG as a rookie and for several years0Florida
3Bob Breunig, started one year at SLB, then MLB many years, a very solid player, a few Pro Bowl visits01210Arizona St.
4Pat Donovan, became starting LT, made several Pro Bowls000Stanford
4Randy Hughes, best 3rd safety team ever had, starred one year in 1979, would have started on most teams; created and made lots of turnovers00Oklahoma
5Kyle Davis, replaced injured Cowboy center in the Hail Mary game; centered the ball on the greatest drive in Cowboys history00Oklahoma
6Rolly Woolsey, back up CB, who returned some kickoffs000Boise St.
7Mike Hegman, a starting OLB many years, solid play000Tennessee St.
8Mitch Hoopes punter for team several years00Arizona
9Ed Jones00Rutgers
10Dennis BookerMillersville
11Greg KrpalekOregon St.
12Chuck BlandCincinnati
13Herbert Scott he became a starting guard and made Pro Bowl several years.0Virginia Union
14Scott Laidlaw, a versatile hybrid FB/HB, made contributions starting his first year with Landry's revival of the Shotgun.

chuck520

Reaction score
Ed Jones is not Too Tall Jones, he was drafted in 1974

Hegman didnt play in 1975 then played in 1976 so they had 12 players from that draft, 11 of them played in 1975

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I attended 2 drafts in a row 89 and 90, or maybe it was 90 and 91. I saw Aikman and Maryland get drafted as #1.
It was fun. Jimmy Johnson kept making so many trades, they kept coming to the podium over and over, at one point I shouted (though I didnt mean to be loud) "Oh come on already" And Paul Tagliube looked over at me. :) Really.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I traveled back in time to the 1975 draft. What a draft, the best ever. I was actually physically there in person in 1975 in a NY hotel. Boy, those were the days. Baseball hot dogs, apple pie and the Dallas Cowboys. Three superstars taken in 74, 75 and 77, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, and Tony Dorsett. Turned around an aging team. This 75 draft produced more starting players than any Cowboy draft in history.

1Randy White HOF, The Manster, best player in draft, will all respect to Walter Payton2Maryland
1B1B Thomas Henderson, LB, ran back kickoffs as a rookie with 9.5 speed, most athletic Cowboy LB ever; drugs shortened his career, Pro Bowl 1978; took an INT to the house and dunked ball over crossbar in 1978 NFC Championship; great entertainer; Lawrence Taylor took his number when drafted by Giants.18Langston
2Burton Lawless, starting right RG as a rookie and for several years0Florida
3Bob Breunig, started one year at SLB, then MLB many years, a very solid player, a few Pro Bowl visits01210Arizona St.
4Pat Donovan, became starting LT, made several Pro Bowls000Stanford
4Randy Hughes, best 3rd safety team ever had, starred one year in 1979, would have started on most teams; created and made lots of turnovers00Oklahoma
5Kyle Davis, replaced injured Cowboy center in the Hail Mary game; centered the ball on the greatest drive in Cowboys history00Oklahoma
6Rolly Woolsey, back up CB, who returned some kickoffs000Boise St.
7Mike Hegman, a starting OLB many years, solid play000Tennessee St.
8Mitch Hoopes punter for team several years00Arizona
9Ed Jones00Rutgers
10Dennis BookerMillersville
11Greg KrpalekOregon St.
12Chuck BlandCincinnati
13Herbert Scott he became a starting guard and made Pro Bowl several years.0Virginia Union
14Scott Laidlaw, a versatile hybrid FB/HB, made contributions starting his first year with Landry's revival of the Shotgun.
Today is my thirty third wedding anniversa my memory only goes back to 1991.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I attended 2 drafts in a row 89 and 90, or maybe it was 90 and 91. I saw Aikman and Maryland get drafted as #1.
It was fin. Jimmy Johnson kept making so many trades, they kept coming to the podium over and over, at one point I shouted (though I didnt mean to be loud) "Oh come on already" And Paul Tagliube looked over at me. :) Really.
89 and 91 but almost!

Funny…my memory from the Garrett years seems to all mesh together, but I know those 80s and early 90s seasons well.

I almost want to journal it so when I’m too old to remember any of it, and Jerry is still claiming to be the GM just in case they happen to win, I’ll at least have that.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I went on the field in 1975 and 1978, they ended both regular seasons at Shea Stadium and the Jet fans had a tradition of storming the field, grabbing sod and pulling down the goalposts when the season ended with a home game. Me and like 100 other Cowboy fans ran over to the Cowboys sideline instead. I remember getting close to Mitch Hoopes and Randy Hughes and I think Woosley too, all from this draft class.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
89 and 91 but almost!

Funny…my memory from the Garrett years seems to all mesh together, but I know those 80s and early 90s seasons well.

I almost want to journal it so when I’m too old to remember any of it, and Jerry is still claiming to be the GM just in case they happen to win, I’ll at least have that.
yeah yeah 2 of 3 years, right

fivetwos

Reaction score
I went on the field in 1975 and 1978, they ended both regular seasons at Shea Stadium and the Jet fans had a tradition of storming the field, grabbing sod and pulling down the goalposts when the season ended with a home game. Me and like 100 other Cowboy fans ran over to the Cowboys sideline instead. I remember getting close to Mitch Hoopes and Randy Hughes and I think Woosley too, all from this draft class.
Wow. Cool. I hate being the complaining old man but things were so much different in those days. The entire game was just….different.

I still watch the NFL obviously but things have just gotten so out of hand, well beyond how this particular team is run. Social media and the gambling and the salaries making winning secondary…..

I was born a handful of years too late.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Ed Jones is not Too Tall Jones, he was drafted in 1974

Hegman didnt play in 1975 then played in 1976 so they had 12 players from that draft, 11 of them played in 1975
1975 was the Hail Mary year Staubach to Pearson in Minnesota. I'll never forget that year.