I Hate to say it But maybe Wade was the wrong choice

superonyx

Reaction score
As a person i really like Wade Phillips. But i am feeling like so many are these days about our defensive strategy. I am so tired of us having one of the most, if not the most, talented defense in the league. My friends are girlfriend are getting tired of hearing me yell at the TV about our corners playing off 15 yards and getting every quarterback we play to pick us apart.
Lets look at why the eagles were almost able to beat the Patriots last year. Or why the Giants were able to beat them, and beat us in the playoffs. Its not to hard to see it. Or why the bears were so good and went to the superbowl with an awful offense. Its about playing pressure defense.
Do we not have the talent of the eagles defense? The giants? the Bears? The titans?
We have all the talent we need. We just dont have a coaching staff with the balls needed to play that style.

maybe when Jerry was interviewing coaches he should have given Ron Rivera from chicago another look.

And i hate to say it because Wade really seems like a good man. Watching him cry on hard knocks really showed something about him. he actually feels for others. (unlike the ego maniac Parcells and Jimmy Johnson).
But this wont do. And its not because of 1 loss. Its because i can see Eli manning, Mcnabb, now Jason Cambell all picking us apart in the playoffs.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
superonyx;2301344 said:
As a person i really like Wade Phillips. But i am feeling like so many are these days about our defensive strategy. I am so tired of us having one of the most, if not the most, talented defense in the league. My friends are girlfriend are getting tired of hearing me yell at the TV about our corners playing off 15 yards and getting every quarterback we play to pick us apart.
Lets look at why the eagles were almost able to beat the Patriots last year. Or why the Giants were able to beat them, and beat us in the playoffs. Its not to hard to see it. Or why the bears were so good and went to the superbowl with an awful offense. Its about playing pressure defense.
Do we not have the talent of the eagles defense? The giants? the Bears? The titans?
We have all the talent we need. We just dont have a coaching staff with the balls needed to play that style.

maybe when Jerry was interviewing coaches he should have given Ron Rivera from chicago another look.

And i hate to say it because Wade really seems like a good man. Watching him cry on hard knocks really showed something about him. he actually feels for others. (unlike the ego maniac Parcells and Jimmy Johnson).
But this wont do. And its not because of 1 loss. Its because i can see Eli manning, Mcnabb, now Jason Cambell all picking us apart in the playoffs.

Wade was the right choice after BP. He was exactly what this team needed now we just need to pull it together and they need to better utilize the players we have right now.

Boysboy

Reaction score
superonyx;2301344 said:

You mean you wanted Norv Turner? Really?:bang2:

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I like Wade. I would love to know him in real life. But I do feel that you don't put a man who can't win playoff games in charge of a team that can't win playoff games. I think that on the right team with the right frame of mind in the players, he would be a heck of a coach. But on a team with 13 pro bowlers, it would better serve us to have someone that brings passion. That doesn't mean to be a jerk like Parcells and to treat grown men like children... but to at least make them accountable. Parcells treated our players like kids, but Wade treats them with kid gloves.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2301369 said:
Wade was the right choice after BP. He was exactly what this team needed now we just need to pull it together and they need to better utilize the players we have right now.

By the time Parcells bolted, our time became LIMITED to go through the HC selection process b/c he did so too late.

I would have preferred Ron Rivera or Jim Caldwell, but neither had HC experience and like I said above, we were thin with time when it came to talent scouting.

That's why unfortunately, it came down to Wade and Norv. Wade was the proper choice, IMHO.

I hope we're not suffering the post-BP syndrome. When we bolted the Giants, Pats, and Jets, he did so too late that their only emergency options were Ray Handley, Pete Carroll, and Al Grogh, respectively.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2301389 said:
I like Wade. I would love to know him in real life. But I do feel that you don't put a man who can't win playoff games in charge of a team that can't win playoff games. I think that on the right team with the right frame of mind in the players, he would be a heck of a coach. But on a team with 13 pro bowlers, it would better serve us to have someone that brings passion. That doesn't mean to be a jerk like Parcells and to treat grown men like children... but to at least make them accountable. Parcells treated our players like kids, but Wade treats them with kid gloves.

You know it all made sense when it happened. Well in this sense anyways....

The team was coming together... it was becoming a force.
Wade a defensive "Mr Fix it"
Wade not winning a playoff game didnt bother me - I though this was a chance he deserved and would make the most of it and finally win one. Its similar to the Yankees of the mid 90's... Torre had previously lost everywhere he went.... Torre comes in, he has a team full of future hall of famers and BAM they win 4 in 5 years.

But now with this lackluster, bend dont break defense - al I can do is scratch my head. Its like having a Corvette garage and driving around in a Chevette.

I dont get it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Holy Cow Marty, we've gone back in time.

EmmetBrown.jpeg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once upon a time in the not so distant past, New York Giants fans thought that Tom Coughlin wasn't the right head coach for the job. Some of the players felt the same way.

Trust me. If not, ask JohnnyMac. He'll vouch for it.

Only time will tell if Phillips wasn't the right coach for the job. This season may prove that someone else should've been hired. Perhaps the season will prove that he was the only man for the job. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one will know until the '08 season has concluded.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
We are 3-1 and I credit that to Wade, not despite of him. I think he has his players relaxed and they play for him. They don't want him to lose. My only thing is it seems that no one will truely kill for the man and that makes it tough to out heart some opponents. I don't want him fired in the least, and I do feel that he was the right guy out of our choices. I just hope we don't have another Dec drought.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasEast;2301433 said:
Once upon a time in the not so distant past, New York Giants fans thought that Tom Coughlin wasn't the right head coach for the job. Some of the players felt the same way.

Trust me. If not, ask JohnnyMac. He'll vouch for it.

Only time will tell if Phillips wasn't the right coach for the job. This season may prove that someone else should've been hired. Perhaps the season will prove that he was the only man for the job. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one will know until the '08 season has concluded.

I am obviously not a Giants fan and I ALWAYS thought that Coughlin was a good coach AND the right coach to implement structure and lead the Giants to a SB. With that said, last year unraveled in a weird way for them. Once Tiki and Shockey were off the field, Coughlin could have an organized system and the players bought into it.

These players whether they buy into Wade's system wont win the SB. Wade is not the guy.

Velvet Jones;2301456 said:
We are 3-1 and I credit that to Wade, not despite of him. I think he has his players relaxed and they play for him. They don't want him to lose. My only thing is it seems that no one will truely kill for the man and that makes it tough to out heart some opponents. I don't want him fired in the least, and I do feel that he was the right guy out of our choices. I just hope we don't have another Dec drought.

Sorry. We went 13-3 and it was in spite of Wade last year. Same thing is happening this year.

We could be 2-2. Thank you Donovan.

If we win it all it WILL be in spite of Wade.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
you say potato I say potatoe

we win the super bowl we win the super bowl, saying we would do it in spite of wade is just biased nonsense

Kangaroo

Reaction score
stealth;2301531 said:
you say potato I say potatoe

we win the super bowl we win the super bowl, saying we would do it in spite of wade is just biased nonsense

We won inspite of Barry Switzer

Reaction score
It totally baffles me how quickly people can find fault and turn on someone because of one lost. If the score was 26-24 Dallas, this thread would not exist. It should not be the coach that bring passion in a player. As a professional, making the money they make, living the prestigious life style that comes with a pro ball player, you in have passion within. Now as a coach, if I see that you don't have that passion and don't want to give your all, then it's time to replace you. But as for Wade, he was and still is the right choice.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bungarian;2301535 said:
I hope hoping these threads would die down now. Perhaps tomorrow.
Why you gotta get all redundant on us man?