I honestly think we're going to have the most explosive offense in the East

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think if we look at the numbers, we see a good idea of how improved we're going to be. Not really just about T.O. rather our offensive improvement.

First I like to take a look at Donavan McNabb (pre-T.O.)

The year before he had a 79.6 quarterback rating, 16 tds, and 11 interceptions.

With T.O. he had 31 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions, with a QB rating of 104.7 Nearly 20 points higher than his career high.

And though it isn't as good a comparison, if you look at Jeff Garcia's numbers, his qb rating was always higher than an 80 after his rookie year with T.O. And really continued to shoot down when he went to Cleveland going mid 70s.

Drew Bledsoe put together an 83.7 qb rating season, despite the depleted oline for more than half the season... I honestly can't imagine him not having a 100+ qb rating season with T.O. and a healthy oline. Which is something he hasn't even done before. He very well could have done it last year if Flozell hadn't gone down. With the addition of Fabini and Terell Owens... I say you can count on it.

Drew Bledsoe's QB rating in all games that Flozell played.

#1 QB Rating: 143.4 against san diego

#2 QB Rating: 90.2 against washington (was extremely conservative also)

#3 QB Rating: 90.1 against san fransisco

#4 QB Rating: 68.1 against Oakland (includes a half time hail marry, so it should be higher)

#5 QB Rating: 122.2 against philly

#6 QB Rating : 93.5 against New York

Also in terms of the running game if you compare Kevan Barlow before and after T.O. You're also getting two completely different backs. he went from 5.1 yards per carry to 3.4 and 3.3 in the two years without t.o. respectively. Although I bet that also has a lot to do with the fact that san fransisco is simply deplted in terms of offensive talent. I remember when we wanted him for a 2nd round draft pick though.

And despite the poor offensive run blocking, julius jones still didn't have a horrible year. Nearly averaged 4.0 yards a carry. I really hope that Rivera is healthier this year and plays to expectations. It should be easier for him with the slack going towards Fabini more. I still think we need to bring in Jerald Sowell, and I'm still hoping we bring Keyshawn back, despite any turmoil that could cause.

Reaction score
The main reason why (IMO) McNabb became a better QB cause TO CAN get seperation and he also can scramble to extend the play. When a play was broken, McNabb had to run but TO got open. If the offense is gonna work, the WR's need to get seperation cause Bledsoe is NOT a srambler which also ties in the O-line and the RB's blocking. Its all about the supporting cast.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I think it hinges on Julius Jones. Bledsoe is a solid QB whether you want to admit it or not. TO also is a proven WR whether you want to admit it or not. But J.Jones? He still needs to prove he can hold his 1/3 part of the new Cowboys' Triplets. Can he?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If he can stay healthy and has the blocking he needs, there is no raeson why he shouldn't be able to post 1400+ yards per season. I mean he was 7 away from 1000 last year and he missed 4 games, and didn't really get the entire load for the rest of the season (not saying he will again, but you know...).

I could easily see him posting about 300 with just what he had going with him last year (within those 4 games). With better blocking I don't see why he couldn't do even more.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:
The main reason why (IMO) McNabb became a better QB cause TO CAN get seperation and he also can scramble to extend the play. When a play was broken, McNabb had to run but TO got open. If the offense is gonna work, the WR's need to get seperation cause Bledsoe is NOT a srambler which also ties in the O-line and the RB's blocking. Its all about the supporting cast.

True about McFlabb's scrammbling.

But at the same time McNabb is infamous for being an inaccurate QB. Some of the plays that McFlabb couldn't make in the pocket, BLedsoe CAN make. So, IMO, it evens out. Bledsoe won't make as many plays outside the pocket as McFLabb, but he'll make more plays IN the pocket then McFlabb.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Gfunk said:
what's the status of Flozell Adams?

Last I heard he was ahead of schedule on his rehab. As far as I know he'll be starting the offseason conditioning program on Monday along with the rest of the team.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
But doesn't the fact that we went out and got a Terrell Owens suggest to most that our offense is going to change in philosophy. I think we're going to be a lot more pass happy. Which is a good thing. Obviously not to the extent that the eagles were (what like ~70% passing)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
But doesn't the fact that we went out and got a Terrell Owens suggest to most that our offense is going to change in philosophy. I think we're going to be a lot more pass happy. Which is a good thing. Obviously not to the extent that the eagles were (what like ~70% passing)

I completely disagree. I think we'll run the ball more cuz we'll have the opportunity to be a lot more effective doing so. Opposing D's secondaries are gonna have all their eyes on TO and Glenn now. That will help open our running game.

I'll tell you what though, our play action is going to be deadly this year, especially late in games that we've been running the ball effectively.

calico

Reaction score
Damn, sure are alot of skin fans over here all of a sudden.

:skins:

Boysn066666666

Reaction score
I think its fairly apparent that we will have the best offense in our division. Probably the best in the whole NFC.

Haley94

Reaction score
If everyone remains healthy, we will have one of the most balanced offenses in the league. Like Irvin said, having a true number 1 opens it up for everyone else. And let's not forget about Barber, he had some nice runs and i think he is going to be a great compliment to Jones.

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
If everyone remains healthy, we will have one of the most balanced offenses in the league. Like Irvin said, having a true number 1 opens it up for everyone else. And let's not forget about Barber, he had some nice runs and i think he is going to be a great compliment to Jones.

Staying healthy always helps. But I was wondering, has TO ever played in a non West Coast offense system? Whats harder, learning a WCO offense or adapting to a new type from a WCO?

Haley94

Reaction score
The cowboys runs an offense that incorporate many different styles including some of the west cost drops. TO is the type of receiver you can put into any system and he will be productive. I'm sure the coach will devise strategies that best fit his skills. He will only need to learn the new language of the system. Believe me, this is not a worry.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:
Staying healthy always helps. But I was wondering, has TO ever played in a non West Coast offense system? Whats harder, learning a WCO offense or adapting to a new type from a WCO?

Have you ever seen TO play? Bill Walsh's WCO is gone and has been for a decade. The 3 step drop and quick throw has never been Owen's bag.

He does intermediate to deep routes with a lot of work over the middle.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I think if we look at the numbers, we see a good idea of how improved we're going to be. Not really just about T.O. rather our offensive improvement.

First I like to take a look at Donavan McNabb (pre-T.O.)

The year before he had a 79.6 quarterback rating, 16 tds, and 11 interceptions.

With T.O. he had 31 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions, with a QB rating of 104.7 Nearly 20 points higher than his career high.

And though it isn't as good a comparison, if you look at Jeff Garcia's numbers, his qb rating was always higher than an 80 after his rookie year with T.O. And really continued to shoot down when he went to Cleveland going mid 70s.

Drew Bledsoe put together an 83.7 qb rating season, despite the depleted oline for more than half the season... I honestly can't imagine him not having a 100+ qb rating season with T.O. and a healthy oline. Which is something he hasn't even done before. He very well could have done it last year if Flozell hadn't gone down. With the addition of Fabini and Terell Owens... I say you can count on it.

Drew Bledsoe's QB rating in all games that Flozell played.

#1 QB Rating: 143.4 against san diego

#2 QB Rating: 90.2 against washington (was extremely conservative also)

#3 QB Rating: 90.1 against san fransisco

#4 QB Rating: 68.1 against Oakland (includes a half time hail marry, so it should be higher)

#5 QB Rating: 122.2 against philly

#6 QB Rating : 93.5 against New York

Also in terms of the running game if you compare Kevan Barlow before and after T.O. You're also getting two completely different backs. he went from 5.1 yards per carry to 3.4 and 3.3 in the two years without t.o. respectively. Although I bet that also has a lot to do with the fact that san fransisco is simply deplted in terms of offensive talent. I remember when we wanted him for a 2nd round draft pick though.

And despite the poor offensive run blocking, julius jones still didn't have a horrible year. Nearly averaged 4.0 yards a carry. I really hope that Rivera is healthier this year and plays to expectations. It should be easier for him with the slack going towards Fabini more. I still think we need to bring in Jerald Sowell, and I'm still hoping we bring Keyshawn back, despite any turmoil that could cause.

I don't want to sound like a homer, but this offense has not only the potential to be the best offense in the nfc east, but among the best in the NFL, but it all starts up front....

You made a lot of excellent points about Bledsoe, and I truly believe that this offense would have went on to great things had flozell not gotten hurt. Not only is he coming back healthy, but we added Fabini to immediatly upgrade the RT position and Kosier to either start (if LA is released) or provide serious depth.

I think the biggest thing about the TO signing that most people are overlooking is that he is going to open up the offense in a variety of ways:

1) The teams who think they can blitz us consistenly because of Bledsoe being a statue will have to rethink their entire gameplan knowing that we have a receiver that can catch a 3 yard hot route and turn it into a 70 yard TD after the catch.

2) The passing game will open up the running game and screen passing

3) Witten won't have to block as much with a healthy oline and will be able to roam free up the middle due to double and triple coverage on TO

4) Glenn will get more one on one opportunites as well to run the deep routes.

5) Crayton (and/or keyshawn if he's brought back) will truly have a chance to step to the plate and make huge plays considering the fact that EVERYBODY will overlook him and fail to respect him in the passing game as the 4th or 5th option.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:

We have to revise our offensive scheme or TO, at times, will become useless. We can't simply place TO in the role that Keyshawn played a year ago, and expect him to have a fabulous year.

When you have a threat like TO, you oftentimes build the offense around him. I expect that, even when the ball isn't going to him, we'll be scheming up plays to make other teams think we're going to him, freeing up running lanes and opening up things for Glenn.

The great thing about this offense is that we aren't forced to go to TO all the time. What I don't believe is getting enough play is the fact that TO has never been surrounded by as many weapons as he will be here. In fact, the only time he, as a 1000-yard receiver has been paired with another 1000-yarder was in '99, when both Owens and Rice eclipsed the mark -- Owens wasn't even a full-time starter that season, though, starting only 10 of 16 games he played.

Most of his tenure with Rice was either when Owens was too young to be perceived as a threat, or, once Owens developed, Rice was too old to be considered too big a threat. Plus, he's never had great tight ends and the running backs he has played with have been average. Westbrook's entire package is marvelous, but he isn't among the best pure runners in the league.

He comes here to a quarterback that has been to Pro Bowls without Terrell's presence and, as proved last season, Bledsoe still has enough in him to play at a high level. He comes here to the best pass-catching tight end he has ever been paired with. He also comes here to one of the best receiving threats he has ever been paired with...I mean, in Philly he had, what, Pinkston, Mitchell, Thrash, Lewis and their rookie from last season. Julius, while unproven, has at least shown the potential to put up a number of big games.

It's going to be interesting. Right now, everyone's so caught up on all the subplots at this signing that few on the outside are really looking at what it does for us as a football team. Once the dust settles, I think some will be surprised by how significantly this changes the outlook of our offense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Galian, you fail to mention the Kosier signing, his athleticsm and mobility will really help the running game as he can get to the 2nd level and block LBs, something RIvera and LA struggled with immensely last year, and which all RBs need after they hit the hole...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
True about McFlabb's scrammbling.

But at the same time McNabb is infamous for being an inaccurate QB. Some of the plays that McFlabb couldn't make in the pocket, BLedsoe CAN make. So, IMO, it evens out. Bledsoe won't make as many plays outside the pocket as McFLabb, but he'll make more plays IN the pocket then McFlabb.

plus alot of McNabb's throws on the run were miraculous grabs by TO :lmao: *skip* *skip* *skip*

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Haley94 said:

signing TO fixes 2 problems, or the idea is that it fixes 2 problems, and those are WRs creating seperation, which TO is well-known for, and which we struggled with outside of Glenn, and he causes Ds to back off, which opens up running lanes, setting up the run with the pass if you will...