I know we won't trade up but what does everyone think about QB Penix?

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Dude has had injury concerns but he has a strong, accurate arm and a will to win.

75boyz

Reaction score
Previous injury history at Indiana is a major red flag to be concerned with.

Not very mobile.

But overall ability to purely throw a football is elite.

So I think he's the ultimate risk/reward or boom to bust QB of the excellent group that's coming out this year.

He's like a stronger armed Tua.

jmo

Smith22

Reaction score
Older player, huge medical history. Solid player.

Probably goes round 1 if teams are ok with medicals.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Personally I think Penix could be a Dak, Cousins, Tuantype QB. I would consider him at 24 if he’s available. Especially if you don’t extend Prescott.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd take him in the second, no questions asked. If he's there at 24, and is considered the best player available, unless a team presents a strong trade, I wouldn't lose sleep picking him. The kid has star potential.

The Georgia game was rough. He really took a butt whooping, but he continued to get up and give it his best, despite his team being outclassed across the board. He was hurt, his team was demoralized, but he continued, even knowing Washington would not win. Great deep ball, great arm, tough, will not quit. I want that guy leading this team.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
One of my favorite players in the draft.

And he's probably been my favorite tape watch of this year, because he's so confident and aggressive. He challenges tight-window deep shots just nonstop, but if you watch closely, all that aggression is calculated. It's rarely just a 50-50 jump ball to Rome Odunze... usually he's got a favorable look in coverage, and his ball placement is always dialed in to maximize his receiver's chances. Low placement vs high, leading vs trailing, lofted vs roped, his micro-accuracy is just awesome. All of that reminds me a ton of Joe Burrow. Smart enough to take the checkdown, but cocky enough to take a shot to his stud WRs anyway. And good enough to hit them at a disproportionate rate.

He's got no mobility, which is what separates the wheat from the chaff in NFL QBs. Top tier QBs can punish you even when you make a great defensive play, and Penix just can't do that. Burrow, for example, will scramble often and he takes a ton of extra hits to buy time for throws he knows will come open. Penix can't buy time and make those plays. When his OL gets blown up, like in the natty, he's just kind of done. So that right there limits his ceiling to the Dak, Kirk Cousins, type of QB tier. Clean executors that can't create on their own. OTOH, Daniels, Williams, and Maye all look like "punishers".

So I don't think Penix will be a top-five NFL QB. But I could definitely see him being a top-15 NFL QB. The second round talk around him is crazy... he'd go top 5 or top 10 in a less stacked draft class.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Love the arm talent, the injury history and pocket presence in pressure worries me.

If we’re not going all in, I’d 100% trade Dak and draft him at 24.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I'd take him in the second, no questions asked. If he's there at 24, and is considered the best player available, unless a team presents a strong trade, I wouldn't lose sleep picking him. The kid has star potential.

The Georgia game was rough. He really took a butt whooping, but he continued to get up and give it his best, despite his team being outclassed across the board. He was hurt, his team was demoralized, but he continued, even knowing Washington would not win. Great deep ball, great arm, tough, will not quit. I want that guy leading this team.
Exactly what I was thinking. Great leader, makes some unbelievable throws, and never gives up. I’m a little biased since I’m in Seattle but I’ve seen enough of him to know he’d be a great choice.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Reminds me of a poor man's Warren Moon. I don't know if I'd take him at 24 but doubt he makes it to our second round pick. If by miracle he is there with pick 2, you take him and don't look back.
Besides, that's where we gamble on medical risks.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score

I’m assuming you mean Michigan?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. Great leader, makes some unbelievable throws, and never gives up. I’m a little biased since I’m in Seattle but I’ve seen enough of him to know he’d be a great choice.
Much can be said about a man that doesn't break in the face of adversity. The Texas game showcased his talent. The Michigan* game revealed his character. If GB can draft Jordan Love with Rodgers still on board, I see no reason we can't draft Penix. We need a QB in case things flame out with #4. I'd prefer that guy to be a blue chip talent and proven leader.