I know why we played so bad

Reaction score
We wore our blue jerseys. It is as simple as that. Us old-timers having been watching the Cowboys play bad in those jerseys for 30 years. Even when we were the best team in the NFL, you could count on playing poorly if we wore those stupid blue things.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
johnnybluestar said:
We wore our blue jerseys. It is as simple as that. Us old-timers having been watching the Cowboys play bad in those jerseys for 30 years. Even when we were the best team in the NFL, you could count on playing poorly if we wore those stupid blue things.

As I have explained numerous times .. blue jerseys are AWAY jerseys so of course there are more losses in blue jerseys. Even during super bowl runs, you will tend to lose more away games than home games.

I'm just happy we scored points this time :)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
johnnybluestar said:

....but they are GREAT looking uniforms...

Asklesko

Reaction score
But we always beat the Skins with our blues. Ahh, just think about last year's last minute Patrick Crayton touchdown. That should make everyone feel better. :dissskin:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Reality said:
As I have explained numerous times .. blue jerseys are AWAY jerseys so of course there are more losses in blue jerseys. Even during super bowl runs, you will tend to lose more away games than home games.

I'm just happy we scored points this time :)
Actually someone once compiled the stats on away games played in white jerseys vs. away games played in blue jerseys in order to test your very theory. The win loss record was almost 25% better in white jerseys...again that was for AWAY games only.

However, to qualify that statement; those numbers were compiled back before Tex Schram changed the color of the Blue Jerseys in an attempt to break that very curse. I think the win loss percentage has evened out somewhat since that time. But in the old school blues the curse was very real.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
But we always beat the Skins with our blues. Ahh, just think about last year's last minute Patrick Crayton touchdown. That should make everyone feel better. :dissskin:

actually that play happened at home in our white jerseys

Asklesko

Reaction score
Howboutdemcowboys31 said:
actually that play happened at home in our white jerseys

Yeah, I know. The blue jerseys were worn in the the Monday Night game where Roy kept the dirty skin from going out of bounds and forced the clock to run out. I like the Crayton touchdown a little better, though.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
What I don't like is the star and stripe are noticeably smaller on the linemen's sleeves compared to the QB's.

235-237-51492352.jpg

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
Actually someone once compiled the stats on away games played in white jerseys vs. away games played in blue jerseys in order to test your very theory. The win loss record was almost 25% better in white jerseys...again that was for AWAY games only.

However, to qualify that statement; those numbers were compiled back before Tex Schram changed the color of the Blue Jerseys in an attempt to break that very curse. I think the win loss percentage has evened out somewhat since that time. But in the old school blues the curse was very real.

There are no such things as curses.

The fact that they won more away games in no way proves or disproves the theory that the blue jerseys are cursed. Most of the NFC East teams have forced the Cowboys to play in their dark jerseys and until recently, the NFC East was one of the toughest divisions.

Using your logic, we should wear the retro uniforms from last year every game from now on as we have a perfect record with them. :rolleyes: We've lost more games in the traditional white jerseys than we have with the retro jerseys so of course, the white jerseys are cursed too! :D :D

Oh, and I grew up during the "cursed jersey" years and even then, I'd laugh every time I heard someone blame losses on the "curse".

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
No curse and the numbers prove it.
From 1981, the first year of the "new blue", through 2003.

Road White 54-69 .439
Road Blue 30-38 .441

Dallas actually won a slightly higher percentage of road games when wearing blue. This includes reg season and playoffs. The full list of the yearly results is in the history zone.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Reality said:
There are no such things as curses.

The fact that they won more away games in no way proves or disproves the theory that the blue jerseys are cursed. Most of the NFC East teams have forced the Cowboys to play in their dark jerseys and until recently, the NFC East was one of the toughest divisions.

Using your logic, we should wear the retro uniforms from last year every game from now on as we have a perfect record with them. :rolleyes: We've lost more games in the traditional white jerseys than we have with the retro jerseys so of course, the white jerseys are cursed too! :D :D

Oh, and I grew up during the "cursed jersey" years and even then, I'd laugh every time I heard someone blame losses on the "curse".
Well it is good that you are not superstitious; someone has to keep us grounded in Reality. To argue the case I would have to go getting Theological and/or Metaphysical on you but this is the wrong forum and venue for that so time to just let it go. It's all good.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
No curse and the numbers prove it.
From 1981, the first year of the "new blue", through 2003.

Road White 54-69 .439
Road Blue 30-38 .441

Dallas actually won a slightly higher percentage of road games when wearing blue. This includes reg season and playoffs. The full list of the yearly results is in the history zone.
Yeah I thought the percentage had leveled out since the change in colors.

czmtzc

Reaction score
Reality said:

No, most teams wear their COLORS at home. Since the cowboys wear white at home instead of blue, that means they almost always wear white. Notice on many football computer games they put the Cowboys in their blue uniforms by default at home because home=color away=white. Also note that the other teams that usually wear whites at home are other southern teams like the dolphins

There are two reasons that other teams wear their whites when they play the Cowboys: When it is really hot, and in order to jinx the boys.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
johnnybluestar said:

I was wondering if anyone would remember that.