I like the DT pick (and OL)

waldoputty

Reaction score
hello from macau as internet restrictions in china blocked cz for a couple weeks.

i did read about the picks as btb and other sites were not blocked. after seeing hill, did do some reading and liked what i read.

the 1st thing i looked for was the sparq/production ratio chart. that was huge. hill had the same sparq (physical talent) as the high 1st rounders in q williams. also similar physical score to tillery and much higher score than wilkins. we got a 1st rounder in physical talent.

the 2nd thing was his size (sorry @Ranching - it does matter). he is listed between 310 - 330lb). we FINALLY have a dt who is not undersized. in fact, at 3t, he is larger than typical. size matters. in comparison, q williams and e oliver weigh between 285-290lb. at the end of the 2nd round, i think the upside is worth the risk.

many of us who have been arguing for a large dt. well we finally got one. he is much larger than the typical 3t. he could even play at 1t. with his burst, marinelli finally agreed to take a big boy.

fit for the position. so he does not play gaps well. in the cowboys d, his job is much more about blasting into the backfield. a 320lb bull rush consistently into the backfield would do wonders for the passrush. it is just that much more difficult to stop someone 40lbs heavier with a great 1st twitchy step into the backfield. is he sapp II, we can dream.

regarding risks, he is not a gregory (pot) or irving (pot, desire, head) or dv apparently. he argued with the coaches (after coaching change), but he was supposedly very aggressive on the field and always got up after knocked down etc. so in the overall scheme of things, those risks are more manageable.

some may argue we could have drafted him in the 2nd. here i would defer to the front office since they would be much more familiar with the other teams. also some reported that other teams also viewed hill highly.

i also liked the ol, but i think the let the draft come to us approach did not work after the 3rd round.

wished we traded up in the 4th for a safety or some other positions. i do wish we took a chance on cominsky even if he played against lesser competition. there was another high sparq de taken in the early 4th as well as the high ranked safety. i would have wanted ferguson also. yes, pressure > coverage for me.

from btb: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...mpact-defensive-tackles-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

dt_2019.jpg

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think they were going to draft Cominsky but someone jumped right in front of them and took him.

In the 4th they had picks 128 and 136

They took Pollard at 128

then I think they were going to try to get isaia Johnson at 136. The team that picked right after them Took Johnson.

Then I believe they were going to take Cominsky.

After the team jumped in front of them and took Cominsky they traded down.

waldoputty

Reaction score
so for hill, who is bigger than the 3rd pick quinnen williams.
hill is arguably more explosive with significantly better jump scores.
explosiveness is most critical for 3tech in our d.

he is also slightly longer
williams has significantly better 40 score, but williams did not run the cone, shuttle
for a 320lb, hill 40 score is plenty fast
i believe hill's shuttle score is excellent for a dt.

------------------Player------------Hill------------Q Williams
ARMS -----------------------------33 3/8”----------33 1/4"
HANDS ---------------------------10 1/4”-----------9 5/8"
40 Yard Dash --------------------5.04 -------------4.83 SECONDS
Bench Press ---------------------28 --------------- REPS
Vertical Jump --------------------35.0 ------------30.5 INCHES
Broad Jump ----------------------115.0 ----------112.0 INCHES
3 Cone Drill ------------------------7.7 ------------ SECONDS
20 Yd Shuttle ---------------------4.38 ----------- SECONDS

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think they were going to draft Cominsky but someone jumped right in front of them and took him.

They took Pollard at 128

then I think they were going to try to get isaia Johnson at 136. The team that picked right after them Took Johnson.

it felt like it, and i think here is where the wait for the draft approach failed after 3rd round.
after the lucky ol, they should have shifted gears and targeted 2 or so players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
hello from macau as internet restrictions in china blocked cz for a couple weeks.

i did read about the picks as btb and other sites were not blocked. after seeing hill, did do some reading and liked what i read.

the 1st thing i looked for was the sparq/production ratio chart. that was huge. hill had the same sparq (physical talent) as the high 1st rounders in q williams. also similar physical score to tillery and much higher score than wilkins. we got a 1st rounder in physical talent.

the 2nd thing was his size (sorry @Ranching - it does matter). he is listed between 310 - 330lb). we FINALLY have a dt who is not undersized. in fact, at 3t, he is larger than typical. size matters. in comparison, q williams and e oliver weigh between 285-290lb. at the end of the 2nd round, i think the upside is worth the risk.

many of us who have been arguing for a large dt. well we finally got one. he is much larger than the typical 3t. he could even play at 1t. with his burst, marinelli finally agreed to take a big boy.

fit for the position. so he does not play gaps well. in the cowboys d, his job is much more about blasting into the backfield. a 320lb bull rush consistently into the backfield would do wonders for the passrush. it is just that much more difficult to stop someone 40lbs heavier with a great 1st twitchy step into the backfield. is he sapp II, we can dream.

regarding risks, he is not a gregory (pot) or irving (pot, desire, head) or dv apparently. he argued with the coaches (after coaching change), but he was supposedly very aggressive on the field and always got up after knocked down etc. so in the overall scheme of things, those risks are more manageable.

some may argue we could have drafted him in the 2nd. here i would defer to the front office since they would be much more familiar with the other teams. also some reported that other teams also viewed hill highly.

i also liked the ol, but i think the let the draft come to us approach did not work after the 3rd round.

wished we traded up in the 4th for a safety or some other positions. i do wish we took a chance on cominsky even if he played against lesser competition. there was another high sparq de taken in the early 4th as well as the high ranked safety. i would have wanted ferguson also. yes, pressure > coverage for me.

from btb: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...mpact-defensive-tackles-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

dt_2019.jpg
I would have rather taken S Juan Thornhill at #58. Thornhill checked out on the table chart where the big letter A is on the graph. Then taken DT/DE Charles Omenihu either with their 3rd or one of their 4ths.

Oh, well...

waldoputty

Reaction score
I would have rather taken S Juan Thornhill at #58. Thornhill checked out on the table chart where the big letter A is on the graph. Then taken DT/DE Charles Omenihu either with their 3rd or one of their 4ths.

Oh, well...

i think they would have gone thornhill if hill was not there.
omenihu is only 275lb so i personally prefer the big dt that we finally got.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I prefer a big 300+ lb NT as well. Not sure Hill is a hole plugger.

he may not be a hole plugger. but 320lb is 320lb in the trenches. a summer in the weight room and an entire offseason in the weight room, he has the potential to be a monster.

his explosion scores (jump scores) were much higher than q williams, the #3 pick dt.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
he may not be a hole plugger. but 320lb is 320lb in the trenches. a summer in the weight room and an entire offseason in the weight room, he has the potential to be a monster.

his explosion scores (jump scores) were much higher than q williams, the #3 pick dt.
Understood. But as an ex-Olineman (Center), I remember it was always much easier to push out of the way uncontrolled explosive shooting DTs. On film, Hill looks very uncontrolled. Sure, he fires out better than most, but without control and unable to locate either the QB or RB due to such uncontrolled play, such skills can actually work against you and the team.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Understood. But as an ex-Olineman (Center), I remember it was always much easier to push out of the way uncontrolled explosive shooting DTs. On film, Hill looks very uncontrolled. Sure, he shoots out better than most, but without control and unable to locate either the QB or RB due to such uncontrolled play, such skills can actually work against you and the team.

sure, but coming up the middle, that would still be disruptive. that is the design of the d where the 3t penetrates.

he is definitely not the perfect pick. or he would not be there at 58.

i like the upside. if he plays up near his talent level, it would be a much bigger impact than a safety.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
sure, but coming up the middle, that would still be disruptive. that is the design of the d where the 3t penetrates.

he is definitely not the perfect pick. or he would not be there at 58.

i like the upside. if he plays up near his talent level, it would be a much bigger impact than a safety.
I hope you are right.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

They took Pollard at 128

Im pretty sure we got jumped nearly every pick this entire draft, not saying that doesn't happen to most teams all the time, but I kind of know that this draft this year had a lot of that goin on.
We did our best to adjust, but without a doubt, it did affect this years draft significantly more than years past.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Im pretty sure we got jumped nearly every pick this entire draft, not saying that doesn't happen to most teams all the time, but I kind of know that this draft this year had a lot of that goin on.
We did our best to adjust, but without a doubt, it did affect this years draft significantly more than years past.

sounds kind of like the offensive game plan