I Loved the Overshown Pick, but Should the Cowboys Have Drafted Jaren Hall in the 3rd?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
After getting to know more about Overshown, I have changed my mind on this.

It's easy to forget about Cooper Rush in the offseason, but we have him so it'd be really crowded at #3 at that's a reach. I just think we should prepare for Dak, and I actually love the Overshown pick. I think Hall is a heck of a player, but I'm more sure that Overshown will be.

I want to say that before preseason. Lookout for Hall, though.

And, yes, I whiffed on Matt Corral last year. Same for Cooper Rush. Didn't think he had 4 in him, and maybe had me over-confident going into the Eagles game, which makes me think, 'hey, maybe Dak should have played that game.'

I'm so silly.

Carson

Reaction score
Pretty sure his stock is down after last time.

Plenty time to change its. But would much rather have Overshown for sure

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Pretty sure his stock is down after last time.

Plenty time to change its. But would much rather have Overshown for sure
You mean Corral?

Not looking good for him. They drafted Bryce Young after Corral tore a ligament in his foot.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I didn't think Jaren Hall would make it to the 3rd round, personally. But he did. The Cowboys took DeMarvion Overshown, a player myself and others thought fit into Dan Quinn's system. I have a feeling that if Hall would have been there in the 4th, they would have taken him. They reportedly visited with Hall at the combine. Again, Overshown was one of my favorite picks, but I would have liked Jaren Hall right there even better. He has a lot of traits that would have made him a great candidate to develop behind Dak.

He gets rid of the ball fast, and for a guy who hasn't played long, he understands the game, and mechanics of the game well. Even more, like the Cowboys are preaching now, he understood the purpose of each play. That's why I think he could be a starter in Minny in a year or two. Had a better arm than people gave him credit for, and is more athletic with the ball in his hands than, say, Mahomes, which is saying a lot. Personally, Hall was my favorite QB of this years class, by a pretty good margin, too. He may not be NFL ready right now, but I think he has a good chance of having the best career in his class. We shall see.

I don't like to nitpick the draft. But for me, I would have liked to have gone for a player that gives you leverage with Dak in the future. Just how I see it. I'm trying to figure out if Jerry is in win now mode for 2023 or if he's playing it over a few years. If we get Hopkins, I'll be convinced that's the case. I just thought it would be wise to build for the future with a guy like Hall as much as I do like Overshown.

I'm not saying we're not trying to win it now if we don't get Hopkins. I think we're in good shape with our guys right now. But one place where we have uncertain depth is at WR. I want to give Tolbert, Fehoko, Cropper, Durden, and Brooks a chance to make it the team, and I want to develop young guys. But it's hard to complain about getting a guy like Hopkins just in case Lamb or Cooks gets injured. You know, if we really want to win right now.
Definitely wouldn't take him over Overshown, or anytime before the 5th. His upside is basically Cooper Rush. Heady but very limited back up QB that may be able to win a couple games with a good team if he has to start. But the type of QB that would get exposed

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't take him over Overshown, or anytime before the 5th. His upside is basically Cooper Rush. Heady but very limited back up QB that may be able to win a couple games with a good team if he has to start. But the type of QB that would get exposed
I'm not sure what makes you think that. He's got a cannon for an arm. He's also fast, unlike Rush. I'm a Rush fan, but I disagree with the comparison, which is no big deal.
The downside on Hall is his inexperience. He was a baseball player, and only played QB for 2 years. So, I think it could take a while for him to develop. But I see potential.

That said, again, I meant to say Fehoko, who I still like, in the OP, not Overshown. For our team, I really like Overshown.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not sure what makes you think that. He's got a cannon for an arm. He's also fast, unlike Rush. I'm a Rush fan, but I disagree with the comparison, which is no big deal.
The downside on Hall is his inexperience. He was a baseball player, and only played QB for 2 years. So, I think it could take a while for him to develop. But I see potential.

That said, again, I meant to say Fehoko, who I still like, in the OP, not Overshown. For our team, I really like Overshown.
I think are seeing something no one else is when you say he has a cannon for an arm. I saw a guy that was going to struggle to make the more difficult NFL throws

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
In the little time we’ve seen Overshown in camp and in the one game, he has sure looked better than a 3rd round LB. He has no hesitation in his game… in his first preseason game! That is rather unusual.

He is going to be better than I expected. You certainly don’t second guess getting a guy like that in the 3rd round.

Dallas got lucky, IMO.

rambo2

Reaction score
O'Connell looks like he would have been a good pick in the 4th. They did like him.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
No. But I was hyping up Hall. He was one of my favorite QBs in the draft.

He reminds me a bit of Russell Wilson.