CFZ I’m expecting some surprises from Big Mac’s red zone playbook Sunday

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Agree completely! I was going to write a post on this but will add it here since we are talking O.

I think PATIENCE is the key to winning Sunday. Dak has to keep taking the short routes and moving it around. We need to keep trying to pound the ball even when it seems we aren't getting much. They key is to stick to the gameplay and limit the mistakes and I'm sure we can get 2-3 productive drives together. I see a 20-17 type game.I think the last 2 years we lost patience and tried to do too much. The mindset is "this is going to be a slugfest, be ready to concentrate for 60 min."

As to your point.....I think we have seen a mix of backs because he can know call plays off those formations we haven't seen that can get guys in space. At least I'm hoping.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Why would he save anything until week 5 against the 9ers? I'm not seeing it. They have had 4 games to try and figure it out and have failed. They aren't going to flip a magic switch come Sunday and all will be well.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We aren't going to beat the 49ers kicking FGs so the red zone problems which have continued into October need to be resolved. Trick plays are for inferior teams. That's not the Cowboys.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The red zone issues have been discussed ad nauseam the month of September. That’s ok. It’s what we “fanatics” do.

Yes, scoring TDs in the red zone has been a problem. But I’m not as worried about it as some. Honestly, some of what I read on this forum is simply an overreaction to a problem I expect will get better as the season progresses. The team is moving ball down the field very well. It’s harder to score as you get closer to the end zone in the NFL.

I’m not saying it’s not a problem at all but with the way most teams handle the preseason nowadays, I see the first 4 games of a 17 game season as somewhat of an extension of the PS. In a way, I see the game in SF as the true beginning of the regular season. I will worry more if this is still a problem the rest of October.

This is a new offense, lots of new skill position players, lots of early injuries among the OL and there’s even been two drops in the end zone that would have been TDs. Again, not dismissing this altogether but it’s way too early to be pushing any panic buttons.

And…I honestly believe there will be several plays we haven’t seen yet this season from Big Mac’s playbook this Sunday. I fully expect to see some surprises that McCarthy has kept in his pocket just for this game.
Lets hope....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some plays that work would be nice....
For sure. But I think what a lot of fans are saying is poor play calling is really more about poor execution.

Any play called is only as good as the way it is executed. Blown blocks, running into each other, dropped passes…all are execution problems and if run better, the red zone performance will be better.

Im not making excuses for these guys. If this trend continues, they deserve the criticism. But I will be interested in seeing how well this team performs as they get more reps together. I don’t think we’ve had the entire starting OL play an entire game together yet.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would he save anything until week 5 against the 9ers? I'm not seeing it. They have had 4 games to try and figure it out and have failed. They aren't going to flip a magic switch come Sunday and all will be well.
Who said “trick plays?” I’m talking about different looks, wrinkles, and better execution. Doesn’t have to be some gadget.

For example, when we run a run-pass option inside the ten, Dak has been handing off to the running back every time. I have noticed several occasions if he had kept it, he could have walked in. Has that been saved? I don’t know. But the kind of “new” I’m talking about won’t be a trick.

ESisback

Reaction score
Hazey, I see what you’re saying, and I agree, but don’t expect much traffic here. Negativity and overreaction is trendy. Too many are comfy with doom and gloom.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
that's a real head-scratcher. why didn't he use those trick, gimmick crap against the cards? I guess one loss means nothing so you hold on to the good plays for tough teams. lol

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post Bob!

Agreed on all points. Let me add some tidbits for non-optimistic fans. Yes we have work to do for red zone offense but let me just post these statistics for you:

The Cowboys are:

31st in Redzone TD percentage(2nd worst), only the Jaguars are behind us, with a percentage of 36.84%.

Great we all know that, but take a look at this:

7th in Offensive EPA(Expected Points Added; per play). Right behind KC(6th) and LA Chargers(5th).

We are top 10 in offensive success rate with a rate of 46%. Rushing success rate and drop back success rate are both top 10. Ahead of teams such as the Lions, Chiefs and Rams.

1st in 3rd down conversion percentage at 51.6%

4th in the NFL in percentage of drives ending in a point or a turnover, at 36%.

I believe the redzone TD conversion rate will improve, but that will take time. We've had some hiccups in the first few games and I agree with OP, that we will eventually figure it out. These statistics say that we are a very efficient offense, we score on most drives and are super efficient at moving the chains. Luckily our kicker has been spot on since his first missed FG.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Why we have to save them for big games only I don't really get but ok, then we play against lower class teams and we look like we don't have anything that caused us to do well against that good team

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The red zone playcalling is reflective of playcalling in general, in that they are trying to just get the ball out quick.

They don't have to get creative, but they do have to try to let stuff get open. I would expect a lot more mesh/crossing concepts to try to work guys open, along with more RPO moving forward. It's not new creativity that's needed, but just more aggressoin.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do not be extra cute with the down-and-distance situation does not call for it. That is my only request of McCarthy's playcalling. Cutesy surfaced way too often for a number of years before this season.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I would like to be surprised with a few more td's. Field goals are fine but td's are gold and can put an opponent away quickly. If the D wasn't doing such a good job, these games would be a lot closer. I'm not counting the Cards game.