I need help .CP expert.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I have a DEll PC w/ XP..............Home networked w/ Linksys router.....I have not been able to get on the internet for about a month now.

Called Road Runner...not the problem, still could not get on.

Ran a Spy ware program........system perfectly clean

Called Road Runner again had a IP add. assigned to the PC

Still can't get on the internet.

When I bootup this is what appears on the screen:

Spooler Subsystem App encountered a problem and needed to close.

We have created error report that you can send to help improve Spooler Subsystem app.

the error report contains.....This error report includes info regarding the condition of Spooler SubSystem App when the problem occurred, the operation system version and computer hardware in use, and the internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer.

The following files will be included in this report.
C:\DOCUME1Weldon 1, WEL\LOCALS\Temp\WER4.tmp.dir01\spoolsv exe.,mdmp
C:\DOCUME 1\WELDON 1.WEL\LOCALS 1||Temp\WER.4tmp.dir01\appcompat.txt.

Of course I can't send the error repot because I can't get on the net.

Some please HELP!!!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
cbz... I don't know what to tell you in regards to your specific problem... but I will tell you what my CDW rep sed:

"Microsoft says to avoid at all costs pushing machines with XP Home Edition... sell them XP Professional instead... XP Home may be our biggest mistake to date" If it is a bigger mistake than Windows ME then they have problems...

It took a while... but now they sell a Pro update... XP Home has some MAJOR issues... especially in the security realm... and many others reside...

A word to any purchasing new pc's... ALWAYS spend a bit extra and purchase the Professional editions as Microsoft can't afford to screw the pooch with businesses... The Professional editions usually roll out about 3-6 months after users report all of the faux pas' with the current home edition that Microsoft typically rushes to the market...

Be advised that MS uses YOU for the guinea pig instead of testing their products thoroughly in-house...

I, unfortunately, am forced to use MS products... Apple and Linux are much better solutions...

Good luck, my friend...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
What spyware remover and antivirus are you using? Download and install microsofts antispyware program. It's the best one I have found and it's free. After you install it don't do the quick scan. Choose the option to run a full pc scan.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
trickblue said:
cbz... I don't know what to tell you in regards to your specific problem... but I will tell you what my CDW rep sed:

"Microsoft says to avoid at all costs pushing machines with XP Home Edition... sell them XP Professional instead... XP Home may be our biggest mistake to date" If it is a bigger mistake than Windows ME then they have problems...

It took a while... but now they sell a Pro update... XP Home has some MAJOR issues... especially in the security realm... and many others reside...

A word to any purchasing new pc's... ALWAYS spend a bit extra and purchase the Professional editions as Microsoft can't afford to screw the pooch with businesses... The Professional editions usually roll out about 3-6 months after users report all of the faux pas' with the current home edition that Microsoft typically rushes to the market...

Be advised that MS uses YOU for the guinea pig instead of testing their products thoroughly in-house...

I, unfortunately, am forced to use MS products... Apple and Linux are much better solutions...

Good luck, my friend...

Thanks trick...... I'll get the pro update and try it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
What spyware remover and antivirus are you using? Download and install microsofts antispyware program. It's the best one I have found and it's free. After you install it don't do the quick scan. Choose the option to run a full pc scan.

Microsofts antispyware program is the program I am using and I have done what you suggested. I could not believe all the crapola it removed.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Microsofts antispyware program is the program I am using and I have done what you suggested. I could not believe all the crapola it removed.
Have you ran a virus scan also?

You could also try booting in to safe mode and run the antispyware and virus scans. Just make sure to update them before booting into safe mode.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Have you ran a virus scan also?

You could also try booting in to safe mode and run the antispyware and virus scans. Just make sure to update them before booting into safe mode.

I'll try that.......thanks Yeag

Using this dinosaur is about to drive me even more crazier. :)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would back up any of your important files and format the entire hard drive and reinstall XP. I've had similar problems and googled a million things and printed a billion things and tried everything I could to get it work but nada. I would have saved a lot of time had I just cleaned the entire drive and started from scratch.

It's not the best solution, but it's usually the quickest.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Avery said:
I would back up any of your important files and format the entire hard drive and reinstall XP. I've had similar problems and googled a million things and printed a billion things and tried everything I could to get it work but nada. I would have saved a lot of time had I just cleaned the entire drive and started from scratch.

It's not the best solution, but it's usually the quickest.

That's next on the agenda.......Thanks Avery.

I did that about a year ago guess I can always do it again.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Have you tried connecting directly to your ISP, without going through a router? I had a problem with my Linksys router once, the settings kept getting messed up and it wouldn't log onto the PPPOE. Just a thought...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really doubt this is the problem.....but....you may want to try different connecting cables and see if one of them is the problem.

I got a bad USB cable on my cable modem and I tried everything...talked a couple of days on the phone with the charter people and they did all the checking and everything checked out....so after doing everything I went and got a network card and network cable and it fixed it that quick, it was either the USB cord or port.

We have also had trouble at our work with some computers and it turned out the network cables were bad.

Now I don't recall the spool error but it was a while back.

We also had trouble with bottle necking issues but I serious doubt that would be a problem with your network settings at home.

So...if you have some extra connecting (network ) cables or if you can borrow some, you may wish to check those before going with the format.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ....I got it up and running.

You guys were a big help. Again Thanks

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Winsock and TCP Repair Utility.........
See... you need to wash your socks more often... they can cause a multitude of problems... :)

How are you doing there, youngster?? I'm out at sea again, about halfway through our 6-month around-the-world cruise as we sit here in the Gulf... talk about Groundhog Day...