I need recipes

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Hello

I have made a decision to start eating healthier. I am going to try to eat more fish and chicken and less red meat but I don't know how to make fish.

I could really use some good baked fish recipes if anyone has some.
I have googled it a ton but I want something someone has actually tried and knows is good.

Thanks

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Hello

I have made a decision to start eating healthier. I am going to try to eat more fish and chicken and less red meat but I don't know how to make fish.

I have googled it a ton but I want something someone has actually tried and knows is good.

Thanks

Not sure if he can help you, not sure if it is true, but I have read that DallasCowpoke is a good chef.

You may want to PM him and maybe he can help you our or even find you some links to look at in that area.

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Hello

Thanks

3 things for you here.

Salmon: If you have a Sams Club in your area, in their frozen section, they sell bags of about 8 individually frozen fillets that are about four to 6 ounces each. We buy these, and then take out what we need for a meal.

If you run a sink full of warm water, not hot, and put the individually wrapped fillets in it, they'll thaw out in less than 30 minutes.

Then I take a heavy cast-iron skillet and put it on my gas grill outside on full blast. I let the skillet heat for at least 15 minutes, I want it to be blazing white hot. Then, liberally salt-and-pepper each side of the fillet, but nothing else, no oil, butter or anything.

Then put the fillets on, and don't touch them for 4 to 5 minutes exactly. turn them, then do them for another three minutes exactly. Timing is critical here.

Now, just as you're ready to take them off, put a thin pat of butter on them, and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

I promise you, if you follow these directions to the letter, it will be one of the best tasting, and simplest pieces of fish you've ever put in your mouth.

You can also do this same technique with just about any piece of fish, you just have to adjust the cooking time according to the thickness. Common sense, and a little trial and error, is the most effective way to become proficient and what you're trying to achieve.

I'll post a couple of other things for you here in a bit, or if you like PM me with any questions.

Chef Paul Uecker CEC, CCE, ACF

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
3 things for you here.

Salmon: If you have a Sams Club in your area, in their frozen section, they sell bags of about 8 individually frozen fillets that are about four to 6 ounces each. We buy these, and then take out what we need for a meal.

If you run a sink full of warm water, not hot, and put the individually wrapped fillets in it, they'll thaw out in less than 30 minutes.

Then I take a heavy cast-iron skillet and put it on my gas grill outside on full blast. I let the skillet heat for at least 15 minutes, I want it to be blazing white hot. Then, liberally salt-and-pepper each side of the fillet, but nothing else, no oil, butter or anything.

Then put the fillets on, and don't touch them for 4 to 5 minutes exactly. turn them, then do them for another three minutes exactly. Timing is critical here.

Now, just as you're ready to take them off, put a thin pat of butter on them, and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

I promise you, if you follow these directions to the letter, it will be one of the best tasting, and simplest pieces of fish you've ever put in your mouth.

You can also do this same technique with just about any piece of fish, you just have to adjust the cooking time according to the thickness. Common sense, and a little trial and error, is the most effective way to become proficient and what you're trying to achieve.

I'll post a couple of other things for you here in a bit, or if you like PM me with any questions.

Well, that's easy enough. I'll will definitely try that one.

Thanks DallasCowpoke

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Hello

Thanks
One good place to get recipes is www.campbells.com. You can do a recipe search for different foods. Yes, they use their products, but I imagine if you want to use a different one, you can substitute.

My favorite fish dish is one I make with balsamic vinegrette(sp?). I season the fish with my fav seasonings. I'm not real picky, but I make sure I put some herbs on it. And then I pour some vinegrette on it, cover it with foil and bake at 350 or 375 (depending on how fast you want it to cook).

I'm no chef by any means, but it always turns out right. I've also done that with chicken, but I like it with fish better.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
My favorite fish recipe is to drive to Capt D's or Long John Silvers :D
Ugh you nasty... I go there if I want a heavy dose of grease.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
My favorite fish recipe is to drive to Capt D's or Long John Silvers :D

Some of your posts really crack me up. Out of the blue. Thats funny !

D

Reaction score
Baked Fish in Foil Pouch
2 rainbow trout fillets
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 large roma tomato, sliced thin
1 lemon, sliced
1 thin pat butter
1 tbl spoon white wine (sub water if you don't have vino)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse fish, and pat dry.
Rub fillets with olive oil, and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Place each fillet on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Top with jalapeno and tomato slices, and squeeze the juice from the ends of the lemons over the fish. Arrange lemon and tomato slices on top of fillets. Break butter into small pieces and arrange over fish. Add wine. Carefully seal all edges of the foil to form enclosed packets. Place packets on baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of fish. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
=============
Dijon Crusted Halibut
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (I use Italian style)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
4 (4 ounce) fillets halibut

1 tablespoon margarine, melted
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, and lemon juice. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Arrange fish fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread bread crumb mixture evenly over fish.
In a small bowl, mix together melted margarine, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the coated halibut.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
3 things for you here.

If you heat an iron skillet as hot as it can get, then throw a piece of fish on it with no oil, won't it just stick to the skillet and make it impossible to turn?

Also, never use warm water to defrost anything. If you know when you're planning on cooking any type of meat, especially chicken and fish, move it from the freezer to the refridgerator 2 days prior. Slow defrosting is the safest way, and you lose none of the natural flavors of the meat that way.

Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
If you heat an iron skillet as hot as it can get, then throw a piece of fish on it with no oil, won't it just stick to the skillet and make it impossible to turn?
No, the high heat sears the surface, and as long as you don't try and turn or move it for at least a minute or so it won't stick. The reason something sticks to a grill or pan is it is either not hot enough to begin with, or trying to move it too quickly.
DANTHEMAN said:
Also, never use warm water to defrost anything. If you know when you're planning on cooking any type of meat, especially chicken and fish, move it from the freezer to the refridgerator 2 days prior. Slow defrosting is the safest way, and you lose none of the natural flavors of the meat that way.

This is true Dan in a sense, but more so applies to large items i.e. whole chicken/turkey, roasts, very large steaks etc.

If you have a small item, such as I described, and plan/need to use it right away, putting it in a ziplock-type baggie and covering it in water for short periods to speed defrosting is perfectly safe.

I regularly buy large pkgs of things like boneless chicken pieces, freeze them in pkgs of 2's or 4's, then use this method to thaw them last minute before I put them in a marinade and refrigerate them for a few hours before cooking.

So you know Dan, “CCE” after my name, stands for Certified Culinary Educator, I’m pretty confident my advice is sound. ;)

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Looks like you know your stuff CowPoke!

I forgot to put "CCW" after my name.

Certified, Culinary, Wannabe! :)

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
Hey Cowpoke, here's a silly question from someone who like to think he can cook....Is "stock" the same as "broth?" Or am I looking in the wrong place at la groceria?

King Diamond666

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Hello

Thanks
If ya wanna get crazy here is one.."Planked Salmon" Get some cedar planks,small ones will do..Very cheap they are..Soak those planks in some Jack Daniels and water for 2-3 days...Slap a piece of salmon,on the plank,season it with whatever you like and throw it on the grill...The cedar will smolder and the fish will have that nice cedar taste... Rick D....CEC,CIA "95,FCI "97",ACF NY Capter

King Diamond666

Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
Hey Cowpoke, here's a silly question from someone who like to think he can cook....Is "stock" the same as "broth?" Or am I looking in the wrong place at la groceria?
A stock is carrots,onion,celery ,and the bones of the flavor stock you want to make...A broth is just the bones,no vegtables...There is one more,"Consume"..Which is a stock that has all the impurities taken out of it....Basicly a really strong flavored stock!!!