I refuse to give up!

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Why not Seattle? Seattle might be one of the simplest offenses we face all year and most of their points is based on trickery, special teams , and defense.

If the Cowboys can play good on ST, contain Wilson, and every possession end with a kick, Seattle won't score more than 28 points.

Yeah but we will be lucky to put up a FG against them.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this were a somewhat normal year I would agree with your curtness. If this were a normal year. I wouldn't have given a second thought about a loss in week 3 after winning the first 2 games. Obviously. This is far from a normal year.

Thing is, this is going to end up being a normal year. There's so much football left to be played, and we're going to lose more than one game before it's all said and done. Each game is different, which is what makes the NFL great. If you don't me yesterday I'd get 28 points and 22 of 26 for 232 an 87.8 rating out of Brandon Weeden, I'd have been fairly happy with that.

If you'd told me the defense that gave up 9 and then 10 points in back to back weeks would give up 39, well, not so much.

Like it or not, most of our stars are injured, suspended, or otherwise hobbled right now. There's nothing to do but play through it at half strength, but if we get by the Saints this week, we're looking at heading into the bye at 3-2 and still on top of the East with the possibility of Dez, Hardy, Rolando McClain, and Gregory back in the lineup, and Romo on his way. That's a lot more talent than we fielded against a decent Falcons team yesterday.

It's a long season, and a lot is going to happen before it's over. I know the temptation is to straightline, but that's not how it's going to end up playing out.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Yeah but we will be lucky to put up a FG against them.

This is the same team that made Foles look like a star? And with that, the offense was lucky that ST and defensive touchdowns kept the game close. Seattle @ home isn't the same on the road.

We have a shot no matter who the QB is as long as they take care of that ball.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Thing is, this is going to end up being a normal year. There's so much football left to be played, and we're going to lose more than one game before it's all said and done. Each game is different, which is what makes the NFL great. If you don't me yesterday I'd get 28 points and 22 of 26 for 232 an 87.8 rating out of Brandon Weeden, I'd have been fairly happy with that.

If you'd told me the defense that gave up 9 and then 10 points in back to back weeks would give up 39, well, not so much.

Like it or not, most of our stars are injured, suspended, or otherwise hobbled right now. There's nothing to do but play through it at half strength, but if we get by the Saints this week, we're looking at heading into the bye at 3-2 and still on top of the East with the possibility of Dez, Hardy, Rolando McClain, and Gregory back in the lineup, and Romo on his way. That's a lot more talent than we fielded against a decent Falcons team yesterday.

It's a long season, and a lot is going to happen before it's over. I know the temptation is to straightline, but that's not how it's going to end up playing out.

No one knows how its going to turn out. It could very well straightline.............?

The other guys coming back will be great. But without Romo, this team will find it hard to come by Wins. And Romo is out for quite some time. Buckle up....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
This is the same team that made Foles look like a star? And with that, the offense was lucky that ST and defensive touchdowns kept the game close. Seattle @ home isn't the same on the road.

We have a shot no matter who the QB is as long as they take care of that ball.

yes, any given sunday. But where are you putting your money? On Dallas, with Weeden, to beat Seattle?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one knows how its going to turn out. It could very well straightline.............?

The other guys coming back will be great. But without Romo, this team will find it hard to come by Wins. And Romo is out for quite some time. Buckle up....

We might straightline. We just don't know. The point it, it rarely turns out the way it looks like it's going to turn out.

This league is all about pass efficiency differential. We see it every weekend, and say it in most every thread. If you can't be effective passing it yourself, the only way you win is making it ever harder for the bad guys to pass it. We passed the ball adequately yesterday when everything was said and done. Really well early, and really poorly after the half. But we did nothing to stop the other guys from passing effectively. That's a recipe for losing more games than you win. With Romo out, I'd say pretty much the only realistic hope is to improve the defensive play to stay in contention. That's doable, at least on paper, when you see the talent we've got coming back soon. We'll see how it plays out. Either way, though, it's too soon to tell.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans Bombed....Nevermind. That's been done to death.

I was about as down and dissappointed as I've ever been after that 2nd half mess. But damnitt.
I've been looking forward to this season since January 11th of last year. We have to get a win next week. I will probably be about as nervous for that game as I've been for any playoff match.

I know New England looks pretty damn tough. But " any given Sunday"
The Giants will be tough to beat as will Seattle and Philly. And throw Tampa in to that tough to beat catagory as well. But if this defense can get and stay healthy. If Dez can make the miraculous come back after the bye week. I gotta hang my hopes on everything I can at this point. It's just to damn soon to have to give up on what was such a promising season. The most promising one we've had in 20+ years! Plus. I'm not ready to start researching next years draft prospects yet. :laugh:

Good post. The only thing I disagree with is you saying "when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" has been done to death. That never gets old. :flagwave:

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
We might straightline. We just don't know. The point it, it rarely turns out the way it looks like it's going to turn out.

This league is all about pass efficiency differential. We see it every weekend, and say it in most every thread. If you can't be effective passing it yourself, the only way you win is making it ever harder for the bad guys to pass it. We passed the ball adequately yesterday when everything was said and done. Really well early, and really poorly after the half. But we did nothing to stop the other guys from passing effectively. That's a recipe for losing more games than you win. With Romo out, I'd say pretty much the only realistic hope is to improve the defensive play to stay in contention. That's doable, at least on paper, when you see the talent we've got coming back soon. We'll see how it plays out. Either way, though, it's too soon to tell.

Its never too soon to form an opinion. :)

one way to make it more difficult for the bad guys to pass the ball is to keep it out of their possession. Guys like Julio Jones and others are going to be hard to stop. Rodgers at QB, and others...... Thats a smart play when you have a suspect Defense, and even when you have a decent one! If they dont have the ball, they cant pass it with efficiency.

Zman5

Reaction score
Why not Seattle? Seattle might be one of the simplest offenses we face all year and most of their points is based on trickery, special teams , and defense.

If the Cowboys can play good on ST, contain Wilson, and every possession end with a kick, Seattle won't score more than 28 points.

Atlanta's defense completely shut us down in the second half. Their defense is nowhere as good as Seattle's defense.

Our offense may get shut out the whole game.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Atlanta's defense completely shut us down in the second half. Their defense is nowhere as good as Seattle's defense.

Our offense may get shut out the whole game.

Why are you bringing up opposing team's defense when I am talking about the offense? This team without Romo or Dez can't win shootouts, but they have a chance to win games if the opposing team struggles to put points up.

I never said the Cowboys offense will move the ball on Seattle just like Atlanta. All I was saying is that the Cowboys have a chance only because Seattle's offense isn't like Atlanta or a New England IMO.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Why are you bringing up opposing team's defense when I am talking about the offense? This team without Romo or Dez can't win shootouts, but they have a chance to win games if the opposing team struggles to put points up.

I never said the Cowboys offense will move the ball on Seattle just like Atlanta. All I was saying is that the Cowboys have a chance only because Seattle's offense isn't like Atlanta or a New England IMO.

yeah, but they more then make up for it, with their Defense! .............................................. ??

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
yeah, but they more then make up for it, with their Defense! .............................................. ??

Ok so if a Cowboy possession go 3 and out for most of the game, do you think Russell Wilson can go the distance consistently like the Falcons did without turning the ball over?

Zman5

Reaction score

You asked why I thought we would lose to Seattle. Hard to win a game when you don't score.

Their offense may not be good as Atlanta's but it will have better chance scoring against our defense than our offense scoring on their defense.

Wayne02

Reaction score

Seattle could score through their defense alone and beat a Weeden led team.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
You asked why I thought we would lose to Seattle. Hard to win a game when you don't score.

Their offense may not be good as Atlanta's but it will have better chance scoring against our defense than our offense scoring on their defense.[/quote

I understand but you stated that the Cowboys can't beat Seattle even if the defensive players came back. I was just wondering how in the world Seattle became so great offensively that it wouldn't make a difference no matter who was on defense in your mind.

To me, the Cowboys have a shot to win any game as long as the opposing team doesn't have an above average qb.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Seattle could score through their defense alone and beat a Weeden led team.

We all know Seattle can score on defense. All I'm saying is that if they can't, they will have a tough time scoring points against a Dallas defense @ full strength.