CFZ I think it is still possible for this team to end up much improved over the previous year

kskboys

Reaction score
It would be nice if they could resolve a couple of issues before going into the draft but even if they don't they have the cap room to take advantage of some possible draft day trades(picks for players) or post draft roster adjustments(teams releasing players they have replaced in the draft)

In some ways current players on the roster may already lead to improvement.

3 tech - Gallimore healthy, Trysten Hill in a contract year and Odiggy with a year of experience.

S - Hooker healthy and a year in the system could be a major upgrade over Kazee.

Steele while not an upgrade over a healthy and motivated Collins is probably an upgrade over a non-motivated, non available Collins.

Dlaw appears healthy this year. Even with the loss of Gregory we may be better off than we were last year especially if another is added in the draft which is likely to happen. Dlaw, Armstrong, Fowler, Basham, part time Micah plus draft pick (Williams Mafe Etc.) could end up being the best group we have had in a while.

The TE position may be better off because Schultz plus draft pick(Kolar Woods etc,) is better than Schutz and injured Jarwin.

Biadazs might show improvement in year 3 or might be improved on in the draft.

A legit NT would be a game changer and unlike past D coordinators, I feel like Quinn is open to it.

Parsons, Vander-Esch, Healthy Cox and one more draft pick would give us a better LB core than we have had in a while.

It's hard to argue that we will be upgraded from a talent standpoint at WR after losing Cooper but we may be upgraded from a results stand point. For whatever reason Dak/Cooper never really meshed to the point of reaching full potential. Maybe a draft pick will be a better fit plus we may run more 12 personnel after adding another TE.

LG is going to be improved because it is clearly a point of emphasis in the draft and Williams was so bad especially penalties.

Any of the key positions of need not upgraded in the draft may be fixed following the draft with trades or signing replaced players on other teams.
For the 2023 season, much much better.

kskboys

Reaction score
i do as well.
the only player we've lost worth a damn was amari.
but unlike when we released dez...atleast we have ceedee lamb,kept gallup and signed james washington.
i think fowler is a better player than gregory.
steele earned his shot.
collins hasnt been the same guy since he got his extension.
still have good depth pieces on defense.
the only real loss was amari and at least we still have really good players there.
the draft is where this team is built.
we'll find out what this team is come the season.
but in march...there is just as much we'll be a good team as there is we won't.
You think Wilson sucked?

Swagger

Reaction score
The team was generally very fortunate with injuries on the whole last season. Unlikely to be the same next season sadly.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yes…..we have a chance of winning the division. That’s hope but no change

Them

Reaction score
If your down on the Cowboys, because of their obvious history , and a currently dismal off season, you might see a disaster of a season coming!...If you believe (not HOPE!) that they will fill the player voids in the 2nd FA, and the draft; and that all the coaches including JJ wants to win it all, then you might not be to surprised if they have a good Season in 2022 after all!...I tend to lean with the latter....But don't think me a "Homer" in the negative connotation. That would be a false assumption!...I have Money bet on this...lol!...Yet understand, whether I win or lose I'm a die-hard Cowboy fan!

DanA

Reaction score
It's not impossible we get through the draft and into training camp where we look to make a trade or bring in a guy that's a late cut. It's less frequent but there is the odd good player that can be picked up through a trade or late cap casualty.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Our most successful years in recent memory (2009, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020) all saw low expectations going into the season. The 2014 and 2016 seasons had FAR darker outlooks than next year does at this point. People had us dead last in the NFC East going into 2014.

There are too many variables to worry much about it at this point.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not sure about "much" improved, but they could end up improved.
That alone could get a playoff win or maybe even two....depending on matchups.
That's not a prediction, btw.
That is upside.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Which is why the title is "it is possible" instead of it will happen.

I doubt it....but even if "It is possible"....to just be a bit better; i feel the rest of the division will improve even more and it will be a battle just to be over .500 since the Cowboys are terrible on out of division games and even worse against above .500 teams. You can't count on sweeping the NFCE again. It is also possible i win the next lottery.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Here is another "what if"?

What if Connor McGovern ends up being what they thought he would be and they already know it?
Philbin has been ovbiously displeased by McGovern. But he apparently signed off on letting Williams go.
What if Philbin saw a difficiency that he thought could be corrected in the offseason. What if Mcgovern ended up being that LG the scouts thought they had?
Imagine going into this draft knowing that spot is secure and they could focus on other positions.

we can dream right?

Last edited:

Cowfan75

Reaction score
There are still a couple ways we could improve right now, but we don't want to spend the money, so we won't. Nail the draft and cut back on penalties? Maybe we could win the division...maybe. But right now we are not as talented as we left off.

X550i

Reaction score
Putting my disdain for the F.O. aside for this discussion.
Appreciate the OP's optimism, but you have to look at history and trends to predict the future.
  1. Players coming off major surgery and big contracts typically trend towards a down year
  2. Players that have been with team at least 3 years, either have it or they don't. Expecting a break out year is low probability.
  3. Players that have been in decline, trend towards continued decline.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think you’re looking at it all wrong. Yes, many times when a team looks to regress, they actually improve so it is possible. Unless they make some unforeseen talent acquisitions or hit it big with draft picks, improvement is not going to come from having more talent. It will have to come from players taking huge leaps forward and a better culture taking hold. Maybe they let some players go to fix lockeroom issues and that can go a long way.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
What needs to improve is the coaching all the way around. MM's clock management, to Moore's exposed play calls. San Francisco made the SB a couple years ago w/an average quarterback (Garoppolo).

AND as of late, an average quarterback who NEVER won a playoff in his entire NFL career of over a decade, won the Superbowl. Elite quarterbacks are a thing of the past. Championships are won by elite coaching staffs.