I think the Cowboys will be rebuilding more than most think

blueblood70

Reaction score
The offensive line was the second-best in pass and run blocking.

They're not rebuilding anything.
exactly he lost me at the first line lol other then LG we are set for at least 2 years with McGovern in the mix, cwill back, and some depth..thats the least of our issues.. we finished 5th in rushing EE 4th 30 yards out of 3rd , im sure he paid more dividends then people believe..

stop looking at his contract and you will see a RB that produced pretty darn well..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm gonna dress this one up a little bit and try to make the reading a little easier. I think the Cowboys are going to find that they will be deeper into a rebuild than even they planned for.
  • The offensive and defensive lines both need work. The offensive line is showing weakness, and will inevitably be adjusting to new blocking schemes under McCarthy. New blood and beef will be needed fast if the Cowboys want to count on having Ezekiel Elliot's big contract pay dividends.
  • The defensive line needs beef and depth. With running backs like Saquan Barkely, Derrick Henry, and our own Ezekiel Elliott, teams cannot rely on smaller, faster linemen and speedy linebackers to stand up to the pounding an offense committed to the run can dish out. While McCarthy has used great players such as Clay Matthews at linebacker, he is not one to allow his defensive line to be pushed around.
  • With Sean Lee likely retiring and Jaylon Smith not completely dependable at linebacker, this group will need work, too.
  • Stephen Jones is a proponent of using younger guys in the secondary rather than keeping higher paid veterans because of the NFL's agreement with the players that allow for them to be paid less. This has been a staple of the Cowboys salary cap management for years. Don't look for that to change, as the Cowboys seem focused on offensive contracts in the offseason and a total of 23 unrestricted free agents.
  • Kai Forbath was a late addition, and while he looked good in limited opportunities, the Cowboys are nowhere near set at the kicker position. There will inevitably have to be a competition for the job.
The situation with Dak Prescott has the Cowboys in a pickle. Prescott's play hasn't justified the top money he is wanting, and with his contract expired he will likely receive the non-exclusive tag. And teams like Tampa Bay might very well jump at the opportunity to sign him. Jamis Winston is pretty much in the same situation, having failed to show that he is the guy in Tampa. Indianapolis is likely looking, too.
  • No one expects Dak to leave Dallas, but contract issues still make this a possibility.
  • I think the Cowboys MUST go after Case Keenum or Marcus Mariota and solidify the quarterback position. Then they can deal with whatever issues Dak's contract creates with security at the position.
  • The Cowboys have a need for a burner at receiver that can change the game and dictate coverages that open up the game for the rest of the Cowboys receivers.
  • Jarwin appears to be the best young tight end, but the Cowboys will need depth and will likely add a couple to the mix.
  • How McCarthy approaches the run game will likely mean changes in personnel. I look for him to add a receiver/running back that can throw defenses off their game.
I think the Cowboys have their hands full for this off season, as the new schemes and philosophy of McCarthy's vision for the team inevitably create changes.
It will be interesting to see how in depth these changes affect the team, and McCarthy will want to remain competitive:
Because the NFL will most assuredly not miss the opportunity for a ratings bump by scheduling the Cowboys vs the Packers early in the season on a Sunday night.

ill make this easy OLine is fine, zeke fine

DL high priority
LB will be fine with some depth added, their demise is overblown..

yes to addign a TE draft or FA
but rebuild ,no MM came here but we are very solid at depth..

big decsions on Amari, JOnes, and Dak plus Defense has the most FAS around 18 so that was expeted to have the biggest change..

Jake0

Reaction score
For some reason there is a rampant group think on this board that the o line isn’t good. It’s pretty fascinating

Even more fascinating are the people that insist Tyron is trash and we need to replace him with whatever we can, including some random JAG off the street, cause he got a holding penalty in a game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm gonna dress this one up a little bit and try to make the reading a little easier. I think the Cowboys are going to find that they will be deeper into a rebuild than even they planned for.
  • The offensive and defensive lines both need work. The offensive line is showing weakness, and will inevitably be adjusting to new blocking schemes under McCarthy. New blood and beef will be needed fast if the Cowboys want to count on having Ezekiel Elliot's big contract pay dividends.
  • The defensive line needs beef and depth. With running backs like Saquan Barkely, Derrick Henry, and our own Ezekiel Elliott, teams cannot rely on smaller, faster linemen and speedy linebackers to stand up to the pounding an offense committed to the run can dish out. While McCarthy has used great players such as Clay Matthews at linebacker, he is not one to allow his defensive line to be pushed around.
  • With Sean Lee likely retiring and Jaylon Smith not completely dependable at linebacker, this group will need work, too.
  • Stephen Jones is a proponent of using younger guys in the secondary rather than keeping higher paid veterans because of the NFL's agreement with the players that allow for them to be paid less. This has been a staple of the Cowboys salary cap management for years. Don't look for that to change, as the Cowboys seem focused on offensive contracts in the offseason and a total of 23 unrestricted free agents.
  • Kai Forbath was a late addition, and while he looked good in limited opportunities, the Cowboys are nowhere near set at the kicker position. There will inevitably have to be a competition for the job.
The situation with Dak Prescott has the Cowboys in a pickle. Prescott's play hasn't justified the top money he is wanting, and with his contract expired he will likely receive the non-exclusive tag. And teams like Tampa Bay might very well jump at the opportunity to sign him. Jamis Winston is pretty much in the same situation, having failed to show that he is the guy in Tampa. Indianapolis is likely looking, too.
  • No one expects Dak to leave Dallas, but contract issues still make this a possibility.
  • I think the Cowboys MUST go after Case Keenum or Marcus Mariota and solidify the quarterback position. Then they can deal with whatever issues Dak's contract creates with security at the position.
  • The Cowboys have a need for a burner at receiver that can change the game and dictate coverages that open up the game for the rest of the Cowboys receivers.
  • Jarwin appears to be the best young tight end, but the Cowboys will need depth and will likely add a couple to the mix.
  • How McCarthy approaches the run game will likely mean changes in personnel. I look for him to add a receiver/running back that can throw defenses off their game.
I think the Cowboys have their hands full for this off season, as the new schemes and philosophy of McCarthy's vision for the team inevitably create changes.
It will be interesting to see how in depth these changes affect the team, and McCarthy will want to remain competitive:
Because the NFL will most assuredly not miss the opportunity for a ratings bump by scheduling the Cowboys vs the Packers early in the season on a Sunday night.

There are a couple of blaring holes in you assumptions. First McCarthy has already said he respects Prescott's abilities and likes him and both Jerry and Stephen have said that signing Prescott to a long term contract is their top priority. So based on known facts and not your assumptions, if they do not get a long term contract done by the day before free agency starts the Cowboys will put the EXCLUSIVE franchise tag on Prescott. They have no plans for letting Prescott get out of town period. So signing some other QB isn't pong to happen. The Cowboys may decider that they want to go in a different direction at backup QB at some point after mini camp or even the start of training camp but it's way to early to talk about that now.

The offensive line has not been the same dominate line from 2016 and with an aging Smith ans a good LG there are those things to think about. Lee hasn't made any type of comment that makes anyone think there is any certainty that he is retiring. I do think they need a little help at the LB position. I seriously doubt that anyone thinks that there won't be some kind of competition at kicker during trainingg camp There usually is and it usually is rookies or some castoff from some other team.

I also agree with you that the Cowboys will need some depth at TE. I think McCarthy is going to have a private discussion with Witten and tell him he doesn't have a chance to have any meaningful snaps and then gives Witten the chance to publicly announce he has decided to retire and let the public think it was Wiiten's decision rather the embarrassment of getting cut. Witten has been a great TE for the Cowboys but now has the speed of a lineman and his once sure hands have shown cracks and father time has caught up to him.

As far as the RB that can catch the ball both Elliott and Pollard have already proved they can do that. If anything McCarthy will get the Cowboys to run screen a lot better than they do now.

The Cowboys have needed help in the secondary and a healthy dominate interior defensive lineman for years. But the fact that many of these issues have been around for a few to several years and Cowboys were considered to have enough talent to make runs at the Super Bowl, I don't see this as any more of a rebuilding season than the last 2 or 3 years.

ESisback

Reaction score

Good post. I agree with many of the good points you brought up, although I wonder how deep of a rebuild they really have. While I agree that many may have overrated the talent we have, I think we have a core that’s still better than most. To me it all depends on two things: 1) who they resign, acquire through the draft and add from free agency, and 2)The coaching.

aikemirv

Reaction score
For some reason there is a rampant group think on this board that the o line isn’t good. It’s pretty fascinating
They can be inconsistent run blockers but they pass protect with the best. At times they struggle to get a push but there is no rebuilding necessary

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The offensive line was the second-best in pass and run blocking.

They're not rebuilding anything.
2nd best at Run blocking? Not sure how they calculate that, but this oline is not creating any holes for the running game. Very bad in fact.

I do presume this may be all scheme problems so it is nice to see Columbo gone and new coach in.

That being said, we can't ignore T. Smith and his back problems forever

Section446

Reaction score
I'm 100% behind a complete rebuild, I think that one of the reasons we've been so mediocre for so long is that we don't follow the natural cycle of things and allow a re-build process.

Ebnorice

Reaction score

let’s say Tampa signs Dak on the non exclusive. Do we receive compensation if we do not match ? And if so what ?

tm1119

Reaction score
2nd best at Run blocking? Not sure how they calculate that, but this oline is not creating any holes for the running game. Very bad in fact.

I do presume this may be all scheme problems so it is nice to see Columbo gone and new coach in.

That being said, we can't ignore T. Smith and his back problems forever

You can question whatever ranking system you want, but how can you argue the raw #’s and say the o-line was bad at creating holes?

4.8 yards per carry as a team was 5th best in the NFL. Honest question....how does that equal having a bad o-line that didn’t create holes? We’re talking about a 449 attempt sample size. The only logical argument I can think of is that it’s a # skewed by long runs. Except the cowboys had 13 runs of 20+ yards, which was tied for 14th in the league. So maybe you could say that the o-line didn’t block the 2nd level well to create big plays? But personally I say that was on Zeke and his hold out. Of those 13 runs of 20+ yards Pollard had 5 in only 86 carries. Zeke had a whopping 4 in 301 carries.
Hmmm...makes me wonder if our diva RB that spent his off season in Cabo just wasn’t explosive enough this year? Because he had 15 carries of 20+ yards behind the same o-line (minus Fred) in 2018.

Also, Tyron Smith missed 0 games in 2019 because of a back injury.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The offensive and defensive lines both need work. The offensive line is showing weakness, and will inevitably be adjusting to new blocking schemes under McCarthy. New blood and beef will be needed fast if the Cowboys want to count on having Ezekiel Elliot's big contract pay dividends.

What did people see in the offensive line that I missed?

PFF:

4. DALLAS COWBOYS
The Cowboys have been near the top of this conversation for years. This season was another impressive display for the group, finishing fifth in PFF pass-blocking grade and third in run-blocking grade. It's well known what Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and Travis Frederick are capable of when fully healthy, but La’el Collins‘ performance this year was the most promising development from the group. His 85.8 overall grade ranked third among right tackles and was easily the highest overall grade of his career. Collins and Martin on the right side of the line helped lead an offense that finished second behind only the Ravens in expected points added per run play.

Football Outsiders Rankings:
Rushing 2nd
Passing: 2nd

johneric8

Reaction score
They rebuild some every year, so that is no revelation...... Why on God's green earth would you assume that any of us believe McCarthy is going to be conservative while reshaping our roster? Almost seems like a post constructed for the sake of needless debating.

garyo1954

Reaction score
They should improve next year when Dak isn't holding the ball.
QB is gonna be like step-step-step-step-step......throw!
Defensive lineman gonna be complaining, "C'mon man! I ain't got out of my stance!"

Cowboyfanforlife

Reaction score
They need alot more size mostly on defense, DLaw is not worth the money and is too small, same with jaylon but we'll see how mcarthy develops him. Some big corners and smash mouth safety would help. Need some 6'4' + recievers and a speedster.....it will be interesting to see what new head coach brings to this team in the next couple of years...

ultron

Reaction score
With over 20 unrestricted free agents, 82 million in cap space and the ability to cut 2 players and restructure Tyron to free up another 20 million plus - yea this team will be way different in 2020, it can either go really well or it'll be the beginning of a rebuild.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The offensive and defensive lines both need work. The offensive line is showing weakness, and will inevitably be adjusting to new blocking schemes under McCarthy. New blood and beef will be needed fast if the Cowboys want to count on having Ezekiel Elliot's big contract pay dividends.

I hope they don't mess with the oline much. When Alexander made changes, the oline faltered. We've got some perennial pro bowlers and Collins who played great and is borderline pro bowl. With Frederick healthy, 4 guys could make it this year on momentum. Don't rock the boat on guys heading to the HOF.

I'm hoping McGovern can make the jump to LG, making Williams the backup G/T and jumbo package addition. But Williams was fine before injured, and should just keep improving. If we just play the hand we've got, the oline should be great.