I think there is a virus on this site...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Over the last week, several time when I come to this site a "Java update" pops up. But it doesn't say the file is a java file. I x out of it and the AVG opens up and says it is a trojan virus and needs to be removed.

is anyone else experiencing this here?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I got hit this week on 2 different computers. It killed my machines

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
No, but Symantec popped up once and said it was removing a tracking cookie. Though that only happen once and it could have been a different tab.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I think this thread gave me a virus.

Yep

I have the SAM-I-AM-runs. damnit!! :mad:

:lmao:

LeeSuh

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4316177 said:
Over the last week, several time when I come to this site a "Java update" pops up. But it doesn't say the file is a java file. I x out of it and the AVG opens up and says it is a trojan virus and needs to be removed.

Yes, I had this happen to me this week, too. I thought my entire computer was going to crash, but the IT department came to my rescue!! Makes me nervous to come here...

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you got a virus it had nothing to do with this site. The only third party content hosted on this site are Google text ads.

Just because a virus alert pops up on a site does not mean that site is where you got it. It could even be another window or tab that triggered it. Most viruses, malware, etc. come from third party software, browser plugins, custom search bars, etc. that people install on their own. A lot of malware will purposely show popup ads and such when you visit websites because they know most users will blame the sites for them rather than suspect adware/malware is the culprit.

#reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4316177 said:

The only part of this site that uses java is the chat page.

#reality

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Reality;4316587 said:
The only part of this site that uses java is the chat page.

#reality

It says Java. But the file name is "Final" and it says it's from a site called sindamy.com

It only ever happens when I come to the zone ad from what a few other posters say it happens to them as well.

AVG grabs it and says it is a trojan virus and removes it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said, there is absolutely NOTHING hosted on CowboysZone that could in any way allow a virus, trojan, etc. to be installed on your computer.

It is possible that an off-site image that a user has linked to in posts or their signature could trigger anti-virus software positive or false alerts. Since we cannot control images hosted on other sites, you would need to post the URLs of the page(s) you were on when you encountered the error.

However, you are not getting the virus, trojan, etc. alerts from CowboysZone.

#reality

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Reality;4321189 said:
As I said, there is absolutely NOTHING hosted on CowboysZone that could in any way allow a virus, trojan, etc. to be installed on your computer.

It is possible that an off-site image that a user has linked to in posts or their signature could trigger anti-virus software positive or false alerts. Since we cannot control images hosted on other sites, you would need to post the URLs of the page(s) you were on when you encountered the error.

However, you are not getting the virus, trojan, etc. alerts from CowboysZone.

#reality

Well, I'm not an expert and I believe you, I am just saying that for some reason it is only triggered when I come to this site. It's not a big deal other than the AVG comes up and it removes it. And it doesn't happen on every visit. But I log in here four or five times a day and it happens at least once a day.

Also, I should point out that it hasn't affected my PC in anyway other than the torjan notification.

ghst187

Reaction score
All,
have noticed lately that my anti-virus has noted several attacks while here with one virus getting through. Never had this issue before. Was wondering if anyone else was having these problems or if the Mods have noticed CZ being targeted more lately?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ghst187;4337045 said:
All,
have noticed lately that my anti-virus has noted several attacks while here with one virus getting through. Never had this issue before. Was wondering if anyone else was having these problems or if the Mods have noticed CZ being targeted more lately?
If you are getting virus alerts they are likely coming from image links to other sites that are used/posted by other users.

As I said before, it would really help if when you get alert to copy the URL of that page and post it here. Then we can try to track down the link to the other site that is causing the alerts.

#reality

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Absolutely no issues on the zone. Actually, I have never had an issue with a virus of any sort coming from this site. Not once in 5 years.

Windows 7 / Firefox Browser / Avast! Internet Security

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Many security providers flag things that the software may classify as "trojan" or some sort of malware when that is not the case at all. It happens all the time.

Make sure that you have the most recent updates to your software. Whatever is triggering your issue is probably triggering for other people, too, and any legit company will be contacting them to discuss the issue and have them remove it from their definition file.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be VERY helpful if users posted the following if you receive a virus alert:

1) URL of page you were on when the alert popped up

2) screenshot of the alert message your anti-virus software displays

3) the EXACT name of the virus detected

4) any domains that are displayed inside the alert message if available

#reality

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
You guys need to quit visiting CZ after looking at naughty websites! ;) lol

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Nothing from the site per se, but I have hit the damnable 'windows security 2012' malware from one of the media links. Once it comes up, it's too late to close it, and of course, I had my malwarebytes turned off at the time for some reason.

A few of the game streaming sites have also alerted for the same malware. I had to re-image one machine due to this crap. FYI - malwarebytes seems to catch these pretty well (if you have it on :rolleyes: )..it's free too fyi. I learned the hard way about trying to stream untelevised games.