I think they had a really good plan

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
You’re probably close to right on that. I do like Isaiah Johnson but I like Mike Jackson almost as much.

I’d rather have McGovern than Harris, frankly, but I’m a trenches guy. McGovern is a really, really good player who will start in Dallas before too long. Smart, strong, and tough... just how I want my offensive linemen.

I don’t see much difference between the two drafts other than I really like McGovern.

Oh heck yes. Nice post: you guys WILL like McGovern. He's in the same mold as Fred Beard: Big Ten big boy, tough, rugged, smart and very good technique. Won't rate out as high as Travis overall but close. NICE pick.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
I guess I look at it differently, but I don’t think safety play is the weakest link on the team. Backup RB was a drop off of epic proportions from Zeke. We were weak at DT depth. We probably need a real tight end and probably a 3rd LB. All of them may be bigger than the safety play now that we have Iloka.

I do agree with this post. BUT....it was the second biggest weakness with a bullet. They HAVE to upgrade it next draft. Two years overdue.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don’t think they had a good plan at all. They seem to have fallen into the trap of deciding on one specific player with their first pick and then sticking with that pick no matter what happens and who else may be there. My biggest problem with this strategy is that they appear to be settling on a player they feel confident will be there and then won’t move off him if better players they didn’t think would be there actually are. If you watched the war room, there was a fairly animated discussion for several minutes leading up to the pick of Hill. It’s pretty obvious to me that that discussion involved Hill vs the unexpected availability of several safties. They stuck with Hill and missed out on their biggest need in the deepest draft at that position maybe in history. That’s a reoccurring theme with them. Don’t even get me started on the rest of the picks. While everyone was moving up to get value on the guys they liked, Dallas sat on their hands and then started moving down. They missed opportunity after opportunity to have a much better draft. They could have used a middle round pick next year to move up and ended up with much better players. What they ended up with are rotational guys, tall db projects for Richard, and low ceiling prospects no one else seemed to want. In three years, when Richard is no longer with the team, no one from this draft will be contributing much. Wait, maybe the OL will and he is the one guy picked that made them deviated from there flawed plan.

Boys122

Reaction score
That's why you trade up.
I agree if the player they like is there they should trade up but our brass doesn’t like to waste picks so they take the next guy on their board. The comparison between the players probably weren’t that far apart according to our scouts so we stood still.

DanA

Reaction score
but some teams spoiled the party.

2. Trysten Hill
3. I believe they wanted Will Harris S. He went right before them and they drafted BPA that they had not even contacted. Connor McGovern.
4. Tony Pollard
4. I believe they wanted Isaiah Johnson but he went right after the Pollard pick. I believe Cominsky was the backup plan and he went right before pick 136 so they traded down.
5, They took Joe Jackson.
7. Mike Weber would have been the pick if they only had 1.

With a little luck this is what it would have looked like.

2. Trysten Hill DT
3. Will harris S
4. Tony Pollard RB
4 Isaiah Johnson CB
5. Joe Jackson DE
7. Mike Webber. RB

That's pretty much my take but I don't think it was luck. To me the front office were too transparent and consequently got pipped by other teams who knew our playbook.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Anyone in here shocked about that?

Actually, I am because they have drafted well as of late. Not having that 1st rounder did something to their thinking. With the roster they had going in, quality should have prevailed over quantity.

Jipper

Reaction score
I know that was the frustrating part. They missed out on Jonson and their backup plan Cominsky because they chose the wrong order. Pollard would have been there at 136.

no he wouldn't have been....he was on the raiders short list.....and had been targeted from senior bowl....he would have been gone and that's why they took him

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Good thread. In the 4th round they could afford to lose Johnson or Cominsky who would have been well down the depth chart at CB and DE. They couldn't afford to miss out on the backup RB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jerry said 4 of the 5 players they had in front of Hill were taken in round 1. and the other one fell off their board due to information about an injury.

I'm thinking Jonathan Abram and L.J. Collier were two of those 4, and the news about an injury to Taylor Rapp may have caused them to strike his name.

Other words, Thornhill was likely behind Hill and Rapp on their board?