I would not pay WR's big money

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But according to some on here, Dallas would not be able to afford big deals because of Dak's contract.
But for other teams, it is because they figured out they don't need too, they can replace them in the draft.

So the same holds true for GB & KC as well. Their QB's got huge contracts, therefore can't afford the player around them.
Dallas dumps Cooper and his contract, sign Gallop for less, draft Tolbert, but yet some on here do not like that, some do.

I do agree, don't give out the huge contracts. Maybe they learned with Zeke, but Dak's it was the going QB rate, though it doesn't make it right.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

If you don’t want to pay a WR then you’ll be stuck without a good one because even good ones are making big money. There’s a reason their salaries are starting to skyrocket. Amari Cooper had better numbers last season than AJ Brown who will be making 25 million per. If it was up to some of you we wouldn’t have a good QB or a viable WR. By the way I wouldn’t be lumping a WR in with an RB. This is a passing league and you have to have playmakers at the WR position. Most teams are rotating RB’s and they can be found more easily than an elite WR. There’s a reason WRs are going high in the draft and RBs no longer are.

Flamma

Reaction score

Just my opinion

I kind of agree for the most part. But the Eagles have nothing to regret as they're not paying a QB big money. Zero chance Jalen Hurts gets paid QB market value. It's not even debatable. And any new QB will be on a rookie deal while AJ Brown is being paid big money. AJ's big cap hits don't start until 2024.

conner01

Reaction score
At one time RB’s got big money but it changed because it’s more of a passing league
WR salaries are soaring but I think they are about to top out just simply because the quality and depth each year is really high. The college game is about the pass game now so more get developed
I’d be churning them. Draft one or two every year and just keep churning

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I agree but its the same with all the positions that are getting way over priced. You have to keep drafting those positions in rounds 1-4 every year or two and keep young guys coming in. Then fill out the position with reasonably priced veterans if need be. No way around it when you have a market priced QB. You have to spend money on the OL to keep him healthy and the defense to help him in the playoffs. College football is churning out skilled offensive players in droves now as more and more teams are playing pro style offenses. WR and RB need to be constantly churned in today's NFL. If you can get a guy to sign a deal like Gallup did, then fine. Wrs who want top money can get it elsewhere and I take the comp pick or trade them.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just my opinion

The last two times the #Eagles signed/traded for a legit Pro-Bowl WR:
2004: Terrell Owens (Made Super Bowl)
2017: Alshon Jeffery (Won Super Bowl)
A.J. Brown was in the Pro Bowl in 2020

Guess it is a passing league after all........while some of our members here want to win with the running game?
I wonder why????

Loso86

Reaction score

Just my opinion
Lol do you remember how we were before we traded for Cooper..... the WRs that should get paid are not replaceable so easily

tm1119

Reaction score
Didn’t Adams himself say that GB offered him the same $, but he chose to go to LV with Carr?

Both GB and KC tried to sign those players. Let’s not make the narrative that good teams refuse to pay WR’s to try and validate the Cowboys cheapness.

Also this board continues to think any/all contracts signed are overpays. And then 2 years go by, the cap goes up, and suddenly those “overpaid” guys that everyone said will ruin a team are getting paid fair market value and taking up relatively the same % of cap space as before…i

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round.

If you draft a WR in the third or fourth round and they develop into an elite receiver you’re going to have to pay them or they’ll be gone after their rookie contract. They’ve become more important than RBs. You can’t just bank on finding another elite receiver in the draft. If you want to build a championship team you can’t allow your playmakers to get away. The way WR and QB salaries are skyrocketing it’s going to split up a number of great QB/WR tandems. It’s already starting to happen. The league is going to have to do something about the salary cap to allow teams to keep these players with their salaries continuing to soar. Cincinnati is going to have a very difficult time re-signing both Joe Burrow and Chase. It’s going to be much more difficult for teams to get by without an elite QB if they don’t have an elite WR. Even an average QB can look pretty good if they have a great receiver.

Flamma

Reaction score
But according to some on here, Dallas would not be able to afford big deals because of Dak's contract.
But for other teams, it is because they figured out they don't need too, they can replace them in the draft.

So the same holds true for GB & KC as well. Their QB's got huge contracts, therefore can't afford the player around them.
Dallas dumps Cooper and his contract, sign Gallop for less, draft Tolbert, but yet some on here do not like that, some do.

I do agree, don't give out the huge contracts. Maybe they learned with Zeke, but Dak's it was the going QB rate, though it doesn't make it right.

Let's not compare Dallas to KC and GB. Dak is not Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. This is starting to get F'ing ridiculous already. It's night and day!! It's a 100 dollar bill compared to a 5. There's a reason teams like the Saints, Steelers, Packers, Chiefs, Patriots, are all contenders every year and the Cowboys, Jets, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, and similar trash aren't. They all had elite QBs. DAK IS NOT IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. Please stop with the comparisons. The same doesn't hold true for Dallas, KC and GB in any respect at all!! ZERO. We can't make any comparisons here because there is none. We can't compare teams with elite QBs, probable hall of fame QBs to a team with a QB we're still trying to determine is better than Kirk Cousins.

The only thing similar with Dallas, KC, and GB, is if they want to win a SB they'll have to overcome with defense. Because they're not beating these teams with good QBs on rookie deals.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you draft a WR in the third or fourth round and they develop into an elite receiver you’re going to have to pay them or they’ll be gone after their rookie contract. They’ve become more important than RBs. You can’t just bank on finding another elite receiver in the draft. If you want to build a championship team you can’t allow your playmakers to get away. The way WR and QB salaries are skyrocketing it’s going to split up a number of great QB/WR tandems. It’s already starting to happen. The league is going to have to do something about the salary cap to allow teams to keep these players with salaries continuing to soar. Cincinnati is going to have a very difficult time re-signing both Joe Burrow and Chase.

There's really not much you can do with the current system. It's a percentage of the total revenue. How teams choose to allocate that money is up to them. Pay Chase and Burrow and suffer elsewhere. Or trade Chase after 3 or 4 years. This is the league you salary cap lovers wanted.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's really not much you can do with the current system. It's a percentage of the total revenue. How teams choose to allocate that money is up to them. Pay Chase and Burrow and suffer elsewhere. Or trade Chase after 3 or 4 years.

Under the current system that’s all teams can do is suffer elsewhere if you pay these players. The QB and WR are critical positions. Cincinnati would’ve never sniffed the Super Bowl this past season without Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was in favor of this well before the jump in WR contracts because of the availability of that position and the ability of good defenses to negate that player.

Posters commented on Cooper disappearing in games but he's not the only one. If a DC decides that player will not beat them, 90% of the time he doesn't. They did the same thing with Irvin, Owens and Bryant. Remember when Madden use to call for getting Irvin involved quickly? That was exactly what the DC's were trying to prevent. At least limit his opportunities.

I would not have a RB1 or a WR1 on a 2nd contract. Even if he was affordable, he would not be worth it. RB's and WR's are the sustainable positions in the NFL.

Jenky

Reaction score

Just my opinion

The Packers and Chiefs got outbid for their own guys. They were still willing to pay those guys massive amounts of money. Also, I 'm not sure why Ja'marr Chase is an exception for the argument you are trying to make.

Justin Jefferson is easily as good, as are others. Seems pretty subjective to me.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'd pay one WR, my QB, and the offensive line. That's 7 on offense. The rest of my skill position players only need to be serviceable, not great.

My 7 on defense would be the back seven. I'd let DT's and DE's come and go.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not compare Dallas to KC and GB. Dak is not Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. This is starting to get F'ing ridiculous already. It's night and day!! It's a 100 dollar bill compared to a 5. There's a reason teams like the Saints, Steelers, Packers, Chiefs, Patriots, are all contenders every year and the Cowboys, Jets, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, and similar trash aren't. They all had elite QBs. DAK IS NOT IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. Please stop with the comparisons. The same doesn't hold true for Dallas, KC and GB in any respect at all!! ZERO. We can't make any comparisons here because there is none. We can't compare teams with elite QBs, probable hall of fame QBs to a team with a QB we're still trying to determine is better than Kirk Cousins.

The only thing similar with Dallas, KC, and GB, is if they want to win a SB they'll have to overcome with defense. Because they're not beating these teams with good QBs on rookie deals.

Typical double standard stuff.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have fans here that don’t want to pay QBs or WRs big money. Good luck building a championship football team without paying those players. Lol