I'd love to hear the logic on Crawford

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Called it. No real argument but a blanket dismissal and making it personal.

They only spent $7m on Crawford last year. They "wasted" no more than that.

It doesn't need to be "more than that." What a ridiculous excuse to make.

He had bursitis and had started 14 games the previous year. There was no writing on the wall as you claim.

Do some homework for once. There was an entire offseason where he was sidelined. Be informed before yiu try to make excuses. Do better.

No one is arguing that he should be retained at his current salary.

You still cannot argue honestly. It is very telling.

I do a better job of it than your inaccurate claims and Strawman arguments. Those are pathetic.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gregory hasn't played in a year. It's not about the CBA and implications of the CBA.

It's about expecting a guy who hasn't played football in a year being slotted in as the starting RDE before even getting on a practice field.

Let's put it this way. If the NYG decided that they would turn over one of their starting CB jobs to a guy who hadn't played football in a year instead of adding a key FA at that spot, we'd all laugh at them. And rightfully so.

Gregory had less experience, hadn't played longer, and had missed the entire offseason when he came back in 2018. And reportedly, he's stayed in great shape this time, whereas last time he had dropped a ton of weight while suspended.

If we can get him in for offseason and camp, he'll be miles ahead of 2018.

Note that this is not "instead of" a free agent, even by your own calculations. You say it's not about the CBA, and just his play. Well, then he's here, and should deliver much more than he gave in 2018, when he started the year for us.

It's not Gregory or a FA, it's Gregory or Gregory plus a FA. The latter is not much value add for the cost.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Gregory had less experience, hadn't played longer, and had missed the entire offseason when he came back in 2018. And reportedly, he's stayed in great shape this time, whereas last time he had dropped a ton of weight while suspended.

Note that this is not "instead of" a free agent, even by your own calculations. You say it's not about the CBA, and just his play. Well, then he's here, and should deliver much more than he gave in 2018, when he started the year for us.

It's not Gregory or a FA, it's Gregory or Gregory plus a FA. The latter is not much value add for the cost.
You can't rely on Gregory alone. You have to have a plan B. A legitimate plan B.

Sydla

Reaction score
He was only paid $7m last year. I get he is trying to waive his hand at the cap hit. He likes whinging about sunk costs.

As for youself how would you feel about him coming back at half of his current salary?

As long as they use the money to bring in a legit starting RDE like Griffen and let Crawford just be a swing guy, fine.

He has value just not at his current cap hit.

Sydla

Reaction score

This is such front office rationalizing.

You have no idea if Gregory will be better. He’s two years older than 2018. You can’t just assume that because he this in 2018 he’ll do more in 2020.

He should be viewed as a luxury at this point, not a key piece.

Adding Griffen and then having Gregory perform would make this team better than just having Gregory. Griffen, or someone like him, is just smart insurance.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is such front office rationalizing.

You have no idea if Gregory will be better. He’s two years older than 2018. You can’t just assume that because he this in 2018 he’ll do more in 2020.

I do have ideas on whether Gregory will be better. I gave them. Argue with them if you like. But it's peculiar to pretend I didn't in a reply *to me*. Pretend to others. Maybe they'll believe you.

Sydla

Reaction score
I do have ideas on whether Gregory will be better. I gave them. Argue with them if you like. But it's peculiar to pretend I didn't in a reply *to me*. Pretend to others. Maybe they'll believe you.

So you know with certainty Gregory will be better than 2018?

Sydla

Reaction score
I can. Jerry is in an even better position to. He can rule in/out suspension issues better than I can.

Jerry also believed we didn’t need a front line WR in 2018 and then had to trade a #1 pick because he overestimated what he thought he had.....

It’s not about his suspension....... he’s going to get cleared. The question is can he be the starting DE starting in Sept. That’s completely unknown.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not an RDE.

And this idea that we can't cut him because we don't have one is a stretch. It's not hard to do two things simultaneously........... get a deal in place wiht Griffen or Golden and cut Crawford. Teams do this all the time.

There really is no logical reason Crawford is still on this team and we are tepidly (if that) looking at Griffen or Golden.

He started at RDE in 2018 and 2017. .

exciter

Reaction score
Crawford is a $9.1MM cap hit this year and would save $8MM if cut.

He's not a starting player for us. Lawrence is the LDE, McCoy is better and likely the starter at the 3T, Woods is bigger and more able to hold up at the 1T spot and Crawford is not a RDE.

I don't think Crawford is a bad player by any stretch. He serves a purpose and is a capable backup. But that's all he is........... a backup. And when you watch this organization penny pinch the hell out of FA, it's strange that they seem content on letting a backup DL eat up nearly $10MM in cap space.

There are two starting caliber RDEs out there in Golden and Griffen. Clowney would be a third if you want to think big. We lack a starting RDE. Cut Crawford (Or even restructure and save 4-5MM in cap space) and bring one of them in. Crawford would not be hard to replace in FA as there are some backup caliber DTs out there.

I'd love to get a few JW Blues in Jerry and listen to him explain why they value Crawford that much.
Wasn’t there a couple of articles maybe a month or so back discussing how the Dline sorely missed him during his absence? Hell, even stated they were forced to trade for Bennett because of it. I’m not sure why there’s enough surprise that it needed a 2nd post in 2 days. Soon as I read it, I figured on him being back! He’s your starting RDE on run downs and will slide inside on passing downs!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be "more than that." What a ridiculous excuse to make.

Do some homework for once. There was an entire offseason where he was sidelined. Be informed before yiu try to make excuses. Do better.

I do a better job of it than your inaccurate claims and Strawman arguments. Those are pathetic.

You sure are intent on fault and blame. I stated a fact. They only gave Crawford $7m. That is not an excuse for anything; I have been saying that he has been overpaid for years. It is called being accurate.

They sidelined him to allow the bursitis to subside on its own over the offseason. It didn't so they went with surgery. Still nothing to indicate it is a chronic condition. You act like he had to have his shoulder reconstructed.

And again with the claim of victory with nothing behind it. That is about all you are better at.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As long as they use the money to bring in a legit starting RDE like Griffen and let Crawford just be a swing guy, fine.

He has value just not at his current cap hit.

As I stated on the first page why not move tank to RDE?

Dre11

Reaction score
So you know with certainty Gregory will be better than 2018?

look at it this way, we saw What Gregory can do in the time he played, he was away for a year, that's no different than getting season ending injury in preseason and coming back except it wasn't a physical injury. in this case I don't see him being away for a year as big a deal as some make it. Players get hurt physically for the season and return to form. I expect to see what I saw when he left at minimum.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Crawford is to a defense what Looney is to an offense. Versatile enough to play a few positions at solid level and if your starters are out because of unforseen reason these are the type of backups you want on your team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You sure are intent on fault and blame. I stated a fact. They only gave Crawford $7m. That is not an excuse for anything; I have been saying that he has been overpaid for years. It is called being accurate.

You’re a liar. You tried to falsely suggest that I specifically said his salary was $10 million. An intentional lie.

They sidelined him to allow the bursitis to subside on its own over the offseason. It didn't so they went with surgery. Still nothing to indicate it is a chronic condition. You act like he had to have his shoulder reconstructed.

More attempted lies. I never said it was chronic one way or the other.

And again with the claim of victory with nothing behind it. That is about all you are better at.

At least I’m not an exposed liar like you are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I sure didn’t see any valid reasons to your argument. It was a bunch of ‘just because’.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Crawford is a $9.1MM cap hit this year and would save $8MM if cut.

He's not a starting player for us. Lawrence is the LDE, McCoy is better and likely the starter at the 3T, Woods is bigger and more able to hold up at the 1T spot and Crawford is not a RDE.

I don't think Crawford is a bad player by any stretch. He serves a purpose and is a capable backup. But that's all he is........... a backup. And when you watch this organization penny pinch the hell out of FA, it's strange that they seem content on letting a backup DL eat up nearly $10MM in cap space.

There are two starting caliber RDEs out there in Golden and Griffen. Clowney would be a third if you want to think big. We lack a starting RDE. Cut Crawford (Or even restructure and save 4-5MM in cap space) and bring one of them in. Crawford would not be hard to replace in FA as there are some backup caliber DTs out there.

I'd love to get a few JW Blues in Jerry and listen to him explain why they value Crawford that much.

We will cut him if we find his replacement. Until then there is no need to do it.

Right now we are a DT and a DE short. We have him under contract and can get rid of him whenever we want. So why jump the gun ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will cut him if we find his replacement. Until then there is no need to do it.

There have already been several replacement candidates were available. Actual starting position players with defined roles and defined strengths. This team failed to sign any of them. And there are still some quality candidates available, actual starters, likely for less money.

Right now we are a DT and a DE short. We have him under contract and can get rid of him whenever we want. So why jump the gun ?

What happens if or when they "get rid of him later"? After everyone has signed elsewhere. What good does that move do us then?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Stephen would further lose the narrative that the Cowboys don't have enough money to spend. He could easily at the very least re-work the deal to save $$ on the cap.