Idea: Blue Star Zone

BubbleScreen

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to throw this out there but I have been wanting a better signal to noise ratio for some time.

The gist is this: a curated section of this board where everyone could read but only selected authors/replies would been seen. I know this would be more work for the mods and some wouldnt want it but there are a lot of good posters who get drowned out by all the inanity of late.

Thoughts?

Venger

Reaction score
Problem becomes the various opinions on which voices constitute signal, and which constitute noise. While we all think we are good judges of it, you'll likely find that even if you, for instance, chose the best of the best, there would be disputes even among your choices as to some who did or did not belong.

Wimbo

Reaction score
What did the OP say? I have him on "Ignore".

kidding. :)

LongSnapper

Reaction score
he thinks that there should be a partitioned section of CZ where only certain members can post, but all could read because he does not like the "signal to noise ratio" here @ CZ his words

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Venger;3560985 said:
Problem becomes the various opinions on which voices constitute signal, and which constitute noise. While we all think we are good judges of it, you'll likely find that even if you, for instance, chose the best of the best, there would be disputes even among your choices as to some who did or did not belong.

This. As much as I like the name, the day that the Zone ever moves in such a critical direction will be the day it loses a bit of its luster. The mods on the board have an unenviable job. They, in essence, are the blue star zone.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
IgorTheMan99;3560850 said:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to throw this out there but I have been wanting a better signal to noise ratio for some time.

The gist is this: a curated section of this board where everyone could read but only selected authors/replies would been seen. I know this would be more work for the mods and some wouldnt want it but there are a lot of good posters who get drowned out by all the inanity of late.

Thoughts?

314 posts and you want segregation. You haven't begun to suffer long enough.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Why not have a Vent Zone section of this board ?

All posters with upset vent post could go there, and post that should be there could be moved there by the Mods ?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
A timed football IQ test would be a good start. Not enough time to look anything up on google. 1 shot at it every 3 months.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
john van;3561131 said:
Why not have a Vent Zone section of this board ?

All posters with upset vent post could go there, and post that should be there could be moved there by the Mods ?

That would cut down on the posts on the Fan Zone after a loss.

BubbleScreen

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;3561129 said:
314 posts and you want segregation. You haven't begun to suffer long enough.

314 under this account. I was ChrisCanty99 starting in 2005, and changed for obvious reasons.

I'm not trying to be some kind of George Wallace here. Just wondering if there was a way to get rid of all the uninformed stuff. I guess it's just endemic to a message board.

BubbleScreen

Reaction score
Venger;3560985 said:

It's not my board. The mods could decide. Maybe a voting system where the stuff people really liked or disliked was more visible or hidden.

I'm well aware that posting here is a privilege and this has been such a quality board for the last 5+ years I've been on it. I only signed up because at one point you had to in order to read. The quality here has been so superb I haven't felt the need to post much, because if I read the whole thread what I was going to say had already been said- though this is changing.

hutch1254

Reaction score
I like the idea, not bad. I read more than I post but it is discouraging having to wade through 20 garbage posts (including my own, lol) to get to some real meat and potatoes posts with some good insight or thought.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
hutch1254;3561279 said:
I like the idea, not bad. I read more than I post but it is discouraging having to wade through 20 garbage posts (including my own, lol) to get to some real meat and potatoes posts with some good insight or thought.

Yeah. It's sometimes tough for all of us to drive through rain storms to get to work but we somehow make it.

Mother Nature isn't going anywhere anytime soon. At least I don't believe she is. ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
IgorTheMan99;3560850 said:

Thoughts?
The best way to accomplish this would never work. I am one of the most guilty of it. Simply stop replying to some of these posters.

The problem with the idea lies in the fact that the forum takes on a reputation of being a clique. Opinions are provided not asked or offered.

This place is a bit of an insane asylum sometimes but there is more free speech here than any other Cowboys forum. Some will disagree with that because we don't allow vulgar language or personal insults here, but those things aren't freedom, they are chaos.

If I ever do step down as Mod again, and don't get talked back into it, I guarantee you I will have the largest Ignore list on this forum. Some posters are simply part of a lunatic fringe. I cannot help poking them and from time to time that affects posters like you. For that I am profoundly sorry.

The best bet though is to get as many people as possible to ignore and not respond to some of these nonsensical diatribes. When they don't get the attention they crave they either change their song or go away.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3561152 said:
A timed football IQ test would be a good start. Not enough time to look anything up on google. 1 shot at it every 3 months.
This actually exists as a mod for vBulletin. You've got to solve a quiz before you can enter a forum.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
tupperware;3561453 said:
This actually exists as a mod for vBulletin. You've got to solve a quiz before you can enter a forum.

That's pretty funny but would probably keep us from ever seeing epic posters like leotis brown ever again. :)