CFZ Idea: How Jerry Could Leverage Being Highest Paid Owner in the Cap Era

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jerry could theoretically hire the best AI experts and football experts, evaluators to create his own AI that's better than anything the competition is using for their scouting evaluations, thus, theoretically, acquiring more talent by making better decisions, not just on player acquisition, but risk/reward of decisions, say, if his goal were to move up or down in the draft, or trade X for Y player, target certain free agents, etc.

As far as I know, there's no policy preventing him from doing this, and there are ways to fund it yourself, rather than using publicly available tools, so it could be a proprietary asset.

I'm not saying you rely on this solely, but the capacity and robustness of AI is getting much better nowadays.

I'm sure teams are already using AI systems and analytics data; the key would be making the most efficient tool possible.

Or maybe I'm out of my mind; I'm sure some will suggest that, anyway, which is fine by me. Fascinating topic, anyway.

The other avenue you might pursue, especially for a coach like Mike McCarthy would be an in-game AI tool that advises the highest likelihood of an outcome in certain situations.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
AI? Dude, this is an 80 year old hillbilly from Arkansas that has run this organization like a ma' and pop shop for three decades. He's not going to all of a sudden implement Artificial Intelligence into this franchise.
You might be taking a narrow view.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
AI? Dude, this is an 80 year old hillbilly from Arkansas that has run this organization like a ma' and pop shop for three decades. He's not going to all of a sudden implement Artificial Intelligence into this franchise.
Jerry isn't as stupid as some think. He's capable of seeing the value of something like this if he had the correct information, which I have no idea if he does or doesn't.

There's almost endless things it could be used for. And if he isn't going to hire a GM, then he could theoretically build an NFL GM AI.

Not really that far out of the question, considering where we are with tech, and machine learning.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When is Jerry ever ahead of the curve or innovation? He may try to copy it but he will in no way be the first to try.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
When is Jerry ever ahead of the curve or innovation? He may try to copy it but he will in no way be the first to try.
My point is you either use the tools that are publicly available or hire the talent to build a proprietary AI.

If you build a more robust, accurate combination of machine learning and neural networks, you have an advantage. Like I was saying, we're limited on the amount we can spend on players, but there's no limit as far as how much you can spend on the AI, which you could use to obtain the best outcome for acquiring players.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Why not, though?
Jerry does not like change. He is in Al Davis mode. Stuck in his ways. He won't accept institutional changes. He would rather lose his way, than win using someone else methods.

Nepotism runs this front office. And Jerry surrounds himself with yes men. He will not hire anyone else who challenges his way of thinking.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jerry does not like change. He is in Al Davis mode. Stuck in his ways. He won't accept institutional changes. He would rather lose his way, than win using someone else methods.

Nepotism runs this front office. And Jerry surrounds himself with yes men. He will not hire anyone else who challenges his way of thinking.
You're wrong, though. The Cowboys are already using AI tools for some things, along with the Chiefs, Texans, Patriots. Although no team has created its own AI, there's nothing preventing them from the concept of doing it.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
You're wrong, though. The Cowboys are already using AI tools for some things, along with the Chiefs, Texans, Patriots. Although no team has created its own AI, there's nothing preventing them from the concept of doing it.
Ok. Analytics wins championships

Asklesko

Reaction score
If some enterprising, connivillin' con man promised to upload Jerry's brain to an AI, he might bite

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Jerry could theoretically hire the best AI experts and football experts, evaluators to create his own AI that's better than anything the competition is using for their scouting evaluations, thus, theoretically, acquiring more talent by making better decisions, not just on player acquisition, but risk/reward of decisions, say, if his goal were to move up or down in the draft, or trade X for Y player, target certain free agents, etc.

As far as I know, there's no policy preventing him from doing this, and there are ways to fund it yourself, rather than using publicly available tools, so it could be a proprietary asset.

I'm not saying you rely on this solely, but the capacity and robustness of AI is getting much better nowadays.

I'm sure teams are already using AI systems and analytics data; the key would be making the most efficient tool possible.

Or maybe I'm out of my mind; I'm sure some will suggest that, anyway, which is fine by me. Fascinating topic, anyway.

The other avenue you might pursue, especially for a coach like Mike McCarthy would be an in-game AI tool that advises the highest likelihood of an outcome in certain situations.
The Cowboys were the first NFL team to use computers.
I would reasonably think the scouting department led by Will McClay would be on the cutting edge of this.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Even if he did...Jerry STILL makes the final decisions. Jerry would still INSIST on Zeke carrying the load because he makes the most money. Have you all not paid attention the past 30 years?

Even if you have not paid attention....have you been listening? When Jerry anoints you...he will try to manifest HIS view, whether it's the smartest decision or not.
  • You WILL wear #88, even if you don't want to.
  • You WILL wear #94, and I will keep you around until you play like #94, because you have yet to perform like #94 and you are making me look stupid
  • You will perform like the better man, because you make more than the man in front of you.
  • You WILL play, I don't care if you are injured, because you make more than your backup.
  • Make Dak look great, even if he is just good, because I am paying him a lot of money.
  • There are so many, but this one is one of the funnier ones. Jerry saw Isiah Stanback as potentially the next Terrell Owens, because they had the same build and speed.
  • Or how about when he said, the state of the art stadium he built would inspire the team to play at the highest level (completely ignoring how hyped the other team would be to show out in that stadium)

So know matter what the AI would suggest, Jerry would overrule to push HIS agenda.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
On the surface I love your idea and I promise you some franchise out there that is progressive and committed to winning is poking around into stuff like this. What you need to realize is that Jerry has been playing with his toy for 30 years now and he has figured out exactly what gives him the most satisfaction and it doesn't really have anything to do with winning.

rags747

Reaction score
Why do you think he is in the HOF and no other owners are? INNOVATION…