CFZ Idea: How Jerry Could Leverage Being Highest Paid Owner in the Cap Era

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
AI? Dude, this is an 80 year old hillbilly from Arkansas that has run this organization like a ma' and pop shop for three decades. He's not going to all of a sudden implement Artificial Intelligence into this franchise.
Can you imagine Jerry going down to the lab and meddling with the AI team? I'd pay a lot of money to hear that conversation.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
What if he invested millions and millions of dollars and the morning they fire it up for the first time all it spits out is "Dak sucks"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why 'Highest Paid Owner in the Cap Era' is a criteria. The other 30 owners could easily afford adopting the same. Not sure what those folks in Green Bay would do though.

It is possible to convert many ideas into reality. The question is the likelihood of implementation. Observers have nearly 34 years of getting (at the very least) a base understanding of Jerry Jones. The likelihood of someone like him investing and executing this particular idea is exceptionally small.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry could theoretically hire the best AI experts and football experts, evaluators to create his own AI that's better than anything the competition is using for their scouting evaluations, thus, theoretically, acquiring more talent by making better decisions, not just on player acquisition, but risk/reward of decisions, say, if his goal were to move up or down in the draft, or trade X for Y player, target certain free agents, etc.

As far as I know, there's no policy preventing him from doing this, and there are ways to fund it yourself, rather than using publicly available tools, so it could be a proprietary asset.

I'm not saying you rely on this solely, but the capacity and robustness of AI is getting much better nowadays.

I'm sure teams are already using AI systems and analytics data; the key would be making the most efficient tool possible.

Or maybe I'm out of my mind; I'm sure some will suggest that, anyway, which is fine by me. Fascinating topic, anyway.

The other avenue you might pursue, especially for a coach like Mike McCarthy would be an in-game AI tool that advises the highest likelihood of an outcome in certain situations.
running a football team is part intuition, part art, part logic. AI can run through scenarios, give you probabilities, but then it all falls apart. because AI can't do the ART part. the intitution part that comes with decades of having done it and learning it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Jerry could theoretically hire the best AI experts and football experts, evaluators to create his own AI that's better than anything the competition is using for their scouting evaluations, thus, theoretically, acquiring more talent by making better decisions, not just on player acquisition, but risk/reward of decisions, say, if his goal were to move up or down in the draft, or trade X for Y player, target certain free agents, etc.

As far as I know, there's no policy preventing him from doing this, and there are ways to fund it yourself, rather than using publicly available tools, so it could be a proprietary asset.

I'm not saying you rely on this solely, but the capacity and robustness of AI is getting much better nowadays.

I'm sure teams are already using AI systems and analytics data; the key would be making the most efficient tool possible.

Or maybe I'm out of my mind; I'm sure some will suggest that, anyway, which is fine by me. Fascinating topic, anyway.

The other avenue you might pursue, especially for a coach like Mike McCarthy would be an in-game AI tool that advises the highest likelihood of an outcome in certain situations.
He's already got one robot helping him in Stephen,. He doesn't need any more...

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
running a football team is part intuition, part art, part logic. AI can run through scenarios, give you probabilities, but then it all falls apart. because AI can't do the ART part. the intitution part that comes with decades of having done it and learning it.
Agreed. It's similar to analytics that way. Numbers and analysis are great, but a person has to figure out what questions to ask, what's the best way to answer them, how to interpret the numbers/results, etc. etc. and if that person doesn't know what they are doing all that analysis will send you down the wrong path.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jerry isn't as stupid as some think. He's capable of seeing the value of something like this if he had the correct information, which I have no idea if he does or doesn't.

There's almost endless things it could be used for. And if he isn't going to hire a GM, then he could theoretically build an NFL GM AI.

Not really that far out of the question, considering where we are with tech, and machine learning.

You think Jerry’s ego would allow AI to get the credit and not him?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Why do you think he is in the HOF and no other owners are? INNOVATION…
One of the worse things that could have ever happened to him and subsequently this organization

There has got to be a better way to recognize him for his business acumen...that too put him alongside people who have shed blood, sweat and tears playing football at a high level since pee wee football

Jerry hired Jimmy. And has been living off that decision ever since. He does not even have the decency to put Jimmy in the ROH. It is sickening!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AI? Dude, this is an 80 year old hillbilly from Arkansas that has run this organization like a ma' and pop shop for three decades. He's not going to all of a sudden implement Artificial Intelligence into this franchise.
LOL

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry does not like change. He is in Al Davis mode. Stuck in his ways. He won't accept institutional changes. He would rather lose his way, than win using someone else methods.

Nepotism runs this front office. And Jerry surrounds himself with yes men. He will not hire anyone else who challenges his way of thinking.
Or take the chance that AI would take some of his thunder, if it worked.

RS12

Reaction score

Idea: How Jerry Could Leverage Being Highest Paid Owner in the Cap Era​

Clearly you havent been paying attention the last three decades. The only ideas that get Jerry's attention either put more money in has wallet or get on him in front of a camera. Jerry first, everything else a distant second.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The Cowboys were the first NFL team to use computers.
I would reasonably think the scouting department led by Will McClay would be on the cutting edge of this.

Nice to see someone who isn't all cavalier about their own ignorance.

Kudos to you for staying objective, on-point, and on-topic.