Idea to fix concussions and speed up game

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Idea to fix nfl: any contact where you don’t attempt to contact a guy with your hands first is a personal foul. You get kicked out if you do it three times. It’s gonna be safer but still be football. And you can increase roster sizes if too many guys are fouling out if games. bc this is technically always your best technique. It would clean up offensive line play too. Less penalties. And for defenders this makes sense bc even when going after a guy over the middle you should try to be reaching to strip the ball away not knock his head off.

This ain’t rocket science. The game will look like a combination of track and wrestling, and be faster.

DuDa

Reaction score
Tackling with your hands first is terrible technique. Football is a physical sport and thats what fans want. If you take that out of the game, people will stop watching.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If this is in reference to crack blocking, I agree. I’m not sure how you would tackle someone hands first though

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That would be placing even more power in the ref's hands. They can already made arbitrary calls that effect the outcome of games. Could you imagine this new rule being used with that context in mind?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Example:

I'm an offensive lineman and at the last second, I see a LB coming in on a delayed rush. If I'm forced to try to make contact with just my hands, that LB is going to blow right by me and annihilate my QB.

There are many times where the only option is to dive at someone and use your body to trip them up. And others where you just have to lay a shoulder into their sternum.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Just have all the millionaire athletes sign and agree to the fact they may be ******** after their careers end. I know I'd certainly take that risk to make that kind of money. /semi-sarcasm

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Just cancel the entire league. Problem fixed.

We're getting close to that. They're supposedly considering adding a "targeting" penalty similar to the NCAA next season. That will only infuriate the players and fans even more.

T-RO

Reaction score
Ultimately I suspect there will be no choice but to have major rule changes. So the OP might be onto something.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Take the facemasks off the helmet and players will instantaneously stop leading with their heads. You could make the facemasks smaller (closer to the face, but still protecting) which might keep players from leading with their head.

The game has gotten pretty violent. The bodies are too muscular and big and the collisions are getting to be too much for the neck, head, and knees to sustain. The Shazier injury might be the light bulb that goes off and players realize how dangerous leading with one's head can be and how dangerous it is to target the opposing player's head.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idea to fix nfl: any contact where you don’t attempt to contact a guy with your hands first is a personal foul. You get kicked out if you do it three times. It’s gonna be safer but still be football. And you can increase roster sizes if too many guys are fouling out if games. bc this is technically always your best technique. It would clean up offensive line play too. Less penalties. And for defenders this makes sense bc even when going after a guy over the middle you should try to be reaching to strip the ball away not knock his head off.

This ain’t rocket science. The game will look like a combination of track and wrestling, and be faster.
Tell players to quit being sissies and just play with concussions. Charlie Waters had like a hundred concussions...

Get paid huge money and bang a lot of chicks then die young or work at home depot and live a long life. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Tackling with your hands first is terrible technique. Football is a physical sport and thats what fans want. If you take that out of the game, people will stop watching.
It’s gonna be more like wrestling
Example:

I'm an offensive lineman and at the last second, I see a LB coming in on a delayed rush. If I'm forced to try to make contact with just my hands, that LB is going to blow right by me and annihilate my QB.

There are many times where the only option is to dive at someone and use your body to trip them up. And others where you just have to lay a shoulder into their sternum.
he wouldn’t annihate the qb. Bc he’d have to take the qb down with his hands first so it’d be a real great shove

waldoputty

Reaction score

change tackle and hitting to bear-hug
then the players would vote to allow cheerleaders on the team.
that raises tv revenue

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I think something like this is the direction football will go in, whether it's in 10, 15, 20 years. Football will never go away like some predict but it will turn into flag/touch football at the worst. We will see really high scoring games like 80+ pts

Players rely on those helmets too much and it results in these hits. It is possible to teach a tackling technique where you're not leading with your head. If you watch a game, I'd say many hits/tackles could have been made without helmet contact but these players have been programmed to play like that all their life so they don't know better.

Maybe go back to leather helmets. Right now players use those helmets as a "crutch" (a weapon when they hit). They don't feel any consequences because they know that helmet will "protect" them (although we all know that is not always true). Take away the current helmets and fine, if you still want to be "tough enough" to deliver a hit with your head, go ahead :laugh: