Identifying the stock of players who opted out of the 2020

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The prospects who opted out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic have teams relying on methods they’ve used in the past for prospects who missed the season before they entered the draft. Rob Gronkowski, who did not play his final season at Arizona due to a back injury, was a tidy 270-pound Super Bowl reminder that body of work is important in this process. He was the No. 42 overall pick in 2010.

Evaluators have tried to make the best of what they saw at the Senior Bowl in January and the pro days of some of the opt-out players. Stanford’s Paulson Adebo, for example, is still a tough call for some as the two-time All-Pac 12 pick had an injury end his 2019 season nine starts in and he opted out in 2020.

Overall, there will be some fluctuations between how the opt-out season impacts a variety of prospects, with each team having its own criteria for how those players are graded. From my discussions with scouts and personnel executives, here are a few who could be placed in two categories:

Opt-out prospects teams still love:

• Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
  • Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
  • Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
  • Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
  • Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (played until November before opting out)
Opt-out players who have spurred debate and could drop:

• Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford
  • Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
  • Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia
  • Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...son-remains-difficult-2021-nfl-draft-steelers

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Evidently based on the name of players team still love, the fact they did not play last season does not alter the views of scouts. Question for the board does it alter your views of some of these players?

My3Sons

Reaction score
The prospects who opted out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic have teams relying on methods they’ve used in the past for prospects who missed the season before they entered the draft. Rob Gronkowski, who did not play his final season at Arizona due to a back injury, was a tidy 270-pound Super Bowl reminder that body of work is important in this process. He was the No. 42 overall pick in 2010.

Evaluators have tried to make the best of what they saw at the Senior Bowl in January and the pro days of some of the opt-out players. Stanford’s Paulson Adebo, for example, is still a tough call for some as the two-time All-Pac 12 pick had an injury end his 2019 season nine starts in and he opted out in 2020.

Overall, there will be some fluctuations between how the opt-out season impacts a variety of prospects, with each team having its own criteria for how those players are graded. From my discussions with scouts and personnel executives, here are a few who could be placed in two categories:

Opt-out prospects teams still love:

• Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
  • Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
  • Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
  • Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
  • Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (played until November before opting out)
Opt-out players who have spurred debate and could drop:

• Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford
  • Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
  • Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia
  • Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...son-remains-difficult-2021-nfl-draft-steelers
I would add Parsons to the latter list. If he had killed it this year, I think he is top 6.