Idiot Eagles fan story

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
Idiot Eagle's Fan Faces Amputations After Working At Stadium

News Edition: 01/29/2005

PHILADELPHIA -- A local man said he shoveled snow at Lincoln Financial Field for 30 hours getting ready for the big NFC championship game, and now he is in the hospital, in danger of losing his fingers, his toes, his ears and possibly his nose.
James Phillips said he didn't wear gloves because he was so excited about the game. He ended up with frostbite.

"Believe it, we are the Eagles' 12th man," Phillips said excitedly at the time.

Phillips was one of 1,000 people hired to get the snow out of the Linc. When it snowed a second and a third time overnight, Phillips said some quit, but not him.

He even got to stay for the game and have some words with Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

"I said, 'Not today, Mike.' I said, 'On the 50-yard line, I left a nice little pile of snow for you and some ice,'" Phillips said.

But when everyone was celebrating the win, he said, he knew he was in trouble.

"I felt like someone had pushed me inside of a freezer. It's such a simple thing -- you must be prepared for the weather. The weather's no joke," Phillips said regretfully.

He told NBC 10's Lu Ann Cahn that he was so excited and had so much adrenalin going that he wasn't paying attention to the fact that he had no gloves on. He ended up in Temple University Hospital.

"I waited so long for the Eagles to win and it is so joyful. I would do it again, actually," Phillips said.

Phillips' fingers and toes were so disturbingly swollen and green and black from frostbite, NBC 10 couldn’t show close-up video of his injuries.

Doctors say it looks like Phillips will be watching the Super Bowl from a hospital bed.

"All I need now is a win. I need a win," Phillips said.

Doctors say it will be a couple of weeks before they know if Phillips will lose his fingers or toes.

Courtesy of: nbc10

Yeah a win and some common friggin sense!!! LOL :iggles: :iggles: :iggles:

pgreptom

Reaction score
I wouldn't get frostbite so a game could be played when it can be delayed. I'd love to be in the superbowl, but not at the price of my fingers, or my toes.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
The sad part is that all the goofball had to do was dress appropriately!

notherbob

Reaction score
Wonder how he will feel when he gets the medical bills? Rather grim, I'm guessing. Agree with Leon Dixson, all he had to do was dress for the job, it would have been a lot cheaper.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
The sad part is that all the goofball had to do was dress appropriately!
Or take a break and go warm up from time to time. I'd hate to be this idiot under any circumstances but when the Eagles LOSE the superbowl how is this fool going to feel?

CaptainComeback

Reaction score
hardcorebob said:
Idiot Eagle's Fan Faces Amputations After Working At Stadium

News Edition: 01/29/2005

PHILADELPHIA -- A local man said he shoveled snow at Lincoln Financial Field for 30 hours getting ready for the big NFC championship game, and now he is in the hospital, in danger of losing his fingers, his toes, his ears and possibly his nose.
James Phillips said he didn't wear gloves because he was so excited about the game. He ended up with frostbite.

"Believe it, we are the Eagles' 12th man," Phillips said excitedly at the time.

Phillips was one of 1,000 people hired to get the snow out of the Linc. When it snowed a second and a third time overnight, Phillips said some quit, but not him.

He even got to stay for the game and have some words with Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

"I said, 'Not today, Mike.' I said, 'On the 50-yard line, I left a nice little pile of snow for you and some ice,'" Phillips said.

But when everyone was celebrating the win, he said, he knew he was in trouble.

"I felt like someone had pushed me inside of a freezer. It's such a simple thing -- you must be prepared for the weather. The weather's no joke," Phillips said regretfully.

He told NBC 10's Lu Ann Cahn that he was so excited and had so much adrenalin going that he wasn't paying attention to the fact that he had no gloves on. He ended up in Temple University Hospital.

"I waited so long for the Eagles to win and it is so joyful. I would do it again, actually," Phillips said.

Phillips' fingers and toes were so disturbingly swollen and green and black from frostbite, NBC 10 couldn’t show close-up video of his injuries.

Doctors say it looks like Phillips will be watching the Super Bowl from a hospital bed.

"All I need now is a win. I need a win," Phillips said.

Doctors say it will be a couple of weeks before they know if Phillips will lose his fingers or toes.

Courtesy of: nbc10

Yeah a win and some common friggin sense!!! LOL :iggles: :iggles: :iggles:

Just one word comes to mind...

ghst187

Reaction score
typical brainiac iggles fan. Living vicariously through a team is a sad epidemic in this country.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
they didn't say how old he was. prolly just a kid. that's pretty sad. living in texas - i'm just not overly familiar with the extreme cold of more northerly climes. i'd think the people that live up there would be fully aware of the dangers of exposure.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
So did Michael Jackson lose his nose from frostbite? jk.

I feel bad for the guy kinda.

You wonder how someone could be so ignorant to the fact that it's freezing outside and you should cover up.

Then you factor in that he's an eagles fan and it makes sense.

I am so sorry Eagle fans are so absent-minded.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
wastedfluid said:
I wouldn't get frostbite so a game could be played when it can be delayed. I'd love to be in the superbowl, but not at the price of my fingers, or my toes.
Me either. OK maybe the little finger. :)

djmajestik

Reaction score
Lived in the norht practically my entire life, and let me tell you, when it's cold, it's COLD! You know right off that you need gloves or a hat, or need to go in. I just don't get how anyone gets that bad of frostbite.

I mean, it only takes one time stepping out into sub-zero weather, and you know you need some kind of protection on your fingers, toes, and ears.

This is just beyond me!

DJ MJ

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
hardcorebob = "Believe it, we are the Eagles' 12th man," Phillips said excitedly at the time. Phillips was one of 1,000 people hired to get the snow out of the Linc. When it snowed a second and a third time overnight, Phillips said some quit (some ...half, three-quarters, etc??) but not him.

He told NBC 10's Lu Ann Cahn that he was so excited and had so much adrenalin going that he wasn't paying attention to the fact that he had no gloves on. He ended up in Temple University Hospital. Doctors say it looks like Phillips will be watching the Super Bowl from a hospital bed.
I realize this is the "smack zone" so I won't try to determine why you chose this particular story to try to make your point. And what is the Point?

This guy could have had more reason to shovel snow than the article depicts. I'm sure you realize that he got paid for his work (double/triple overtime). There are still people in America that work hard for a Living; to support their families. Ok, let's say I'm reading too much into this ...but then again, aren't you!?

If you read this article carefully, you find that there were others that stayed and worked with Phillips, But didn't get hospitalized. Phillips only stated that he did not have on gloves -- perhaps he was bundled-up otherwise. McNabb played the entire game in short sleeves, without gloves. Don't try to tell me that he was warmer because he was playing the game, because shoveling snow can be quite physical.

Look, I'm not defending this guy, because I would not have done what Phillips did, but he was No idiot! Fans do things that get themselves in trouble too often. This is especially true of males, who are often stigmatized because of their fandom (Gantz & Wenner, 1995). Fans are criticized for their apparent lack of physical fitness as well as for being passive or lazy (Zillmann et al.), to the high levels of violence among fans, including, but not limited to hooliganism and riotous victory celebrations (Kutcher, 1983; Levy, 1989; Gantz and Wenner, 1995). Debates on the benefits of fandom are ongoing, however research has failed to completely address the questions as to why and how someone initially becomes a fan. Following the symbolic interactionism traditions, identity theory (Stryker, 1987) aims to understand why people do what they do, or why they make the choices that they do. Therefore, sports fandom is an appropriate venue for identity theory.

I wish Mr. Phillips a speedy recovery in time to clap those aching hands for an Eagles Super Bowl victory!:banghead:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
I realize this is the "smack zone" so I won't try to determine why you chose this particular story to try to make your point. And what is the Point?

This guy could have had more reason to shovel snow than the article depicts. I'm sure you realize that he got paid for his work (double/triple overtime). There are still people in America that work hard for a Living; to support their families. Ok, let's say I'm reading too much into this ...but then again, aren't you!?

If you read this article carefully, you find that there were others that stayed and worked with Phillips, But didn't get hospitalized. Phillips only stated that he did not have on gloves -- perhaps he was bundled-up otherwise. McNabb played the entire game in short sleeves, without gloves. Don't try to tell me that he was warmer because he was playing the game, because shoveling snow can be quite physical.

Look, I'm not defending this guy, because I would not have done what Phillips did, but he was No idiot! Fans do things that get themselves in trouble too often. This is especially true of males, who are often stigmatized because of their fandom (Gantz & Wenner, 1995). Fans are criticized for their apparent lack of physical fitness as well as for being passive or lazy (Zillmann et al.), to the high levels of violence among fans, including, but not limited to hooliganism and riotous victory celebrations (Kutcher, 1983; Levy, 1989; Gantz and Wenner, 1995). Debates on the benefits of fandom are ongoing, however research has failed to completely address the questions as to why and how someone initially becomes a fan. Following the symbolic interactionism traditions, identity theory (Stryker, 1987) aims to understand why people do what they do, or why they make the choices that they do. Therefore, sports fandom is an appropriate venue for identity theory.

I wish Mr. Phillips a speedy recovery in time to clap those aching hands for an Eagles Super Bowl victory!:banghead:

Hmm...McNabb played, but did he play for 30 hours out in that tempature all through the night and morning?
Did McNabb not get some heat when the Defense was on the field?

This guy did not wear gloves, chances are if he did bundle himself (his hands) in another way the article would mention it.

Face the guy was an idiot who got what he deserved for being an idiot.

All the guy had to do was have someone get him some gloves and chances are he would not be in the condition he is currently in.

I do not see the story of the other guys having the same problem that stayed out there with him....hmmmm MAYBE because they are smart enough not to stay out there that long without wearing some gloves.

Once again the guy is an idiot and is paying for his stupidity....no way around it.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Hmm...McNabb played, but did he play for 30 hours out in that tempature all through the night and morning?
Did McNabb not get some heat when the Defense was on the field?

This guy did not wear gloves, chances are if he did bundle himself (his hands) in another way the article would mention it.

Face the guy was an idiot who got what he deserved for being an idiot.

All the guy had to do was have someone get him some gloves and chances are he would not be in the condition he is currently in.

I do not see the story of the other guys having the same problem that stayed out there with him....hmmmm MAYBE because they are smart enough not to stay out there that long without wearing some gloves.

Once again the guy is an idiot and is paying for his stupidity....no way around it.
Ok.:eek: