Idiot Eagles fan story

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I realize this is the "smack zone" so I won't try to determine why you chose this particular story to try to make your point. And what is the Point?

This guy could have had more reason to shovel snow than the article depicts. I'm sure you realize that he got paid for his work (double/triple overtime). There are still people in America that work hard for a Living; to support their families. Ok, let's say I'm reading too much into this ...but then again, aren't you!?

If you read this article carefully, you find that there were others that stayed and worked with Phillips, But didn't get hospitalized. Phillips only stated that he did not have on gloves -- perhaps he was bundled-up otherwise. McNabb played the entire game in short sleeves, without gloves. Don't try to tell me that he was warmer because he was playing the game, because shoveling snow can be quite physical.

Look, I'm not defending this guy, because I would not have done what Phillips did, but he was No idiot! Fans do things that get themselves in trouble too often. This is especially true of males, who are often stigmatized because of their fandom (Gantz & Wenner, 1995). Fans are criticized for their apparent lack of physical fitness as well as for being passive or lazy (Zillmann et al.), to the high levels of violence among fans, including, but not limited to hooliganism and riotous victory celebrations (Kutcher, 1983; Levy, 1989; Gantz and Wenner, 1995). Debates on the benefits of fandom are ongoing, however research has failed to completely address the questions as to why and how someone initially becomes a fan. Following the symbolic interactionism traditions, identity theory (Stryker, 1987) aims to understand why people do what they do, or why they make the choices that they do. Therefore, sports fandom is an appropriate venue for identity theory.

I wish Mr. Phillips a speedy recovery in time to clap those aching hands for an Eagles Super Bowl victory!:banghead:

:whatever:

Yea, all that, or he was just a drunkin', over zealous moron... I'll lay odds it is the latter.