If a top QB falls

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Of course, that would create competition though, and that could run up the price. Maybe not 40 Million, but it could result in having to make a decision at $36-37 million when without the competition $34-35 million might work.

Of course, the real key is guarantees, not average annual salary.

I don't think so. I think that if you put two 1st round picks in front of the Cowboys and give them a match 36-37, they would take the deal. I would if I were them. The truth of it is, IMO, Dak won't sign for 33 or 34, which is what I believe the offer might be, while he believes that there is somebody out there who would offer him more, I think they have to be shown that a deal is not there for them to be had at that price. So if he wants to get to that kind of deal, he either has to get this team to a championship game or play out the tag and roll the dice with what he has. To me, his best chance is with the Cowboys but it's up to him and his agent.

catiii

Reaction score
JJ wouldn't draft the second coming of Brady or Brees if they fell in his lap. JJ sees Dak's hardball as an ego challenge that he must win, just as he did with Zeke. It's all just so 1st semester PSYCH 1001 and so predictable. We're sunk for years to come if we sign Dak to anything but a backup role where he belongs. And even the greatest coach can't fix that.
Trade him or something but invest in a QB with potential even if it means moving up in the draft!! .
Carry on...............
:popcorn:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If Tua fell to you at 17, you would be crazy not to draft him. The upside would just be too good no matter what your other needs are. Viable QB's are just too valuable. You pick him & you have 5 offers within 5 minutes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think so. I think that if you put two 1st round picks in front of the Cowboys and give them a match 36-37, they would take the deal. I would if I were them. The truth of it is, IMO, Dak won't sign for 33 or 34, which is what I believe the offer might be, while he believes that there is somebody out there who would offer him more, I think they have to be shown that a deal is not there for them to be had at that price. So if he wants to get to that kind of deal, he either has to get this team to a championship game or play out the tag and roll the dice with what he has. To me, his best chance is with the Cowboys but it's up to him and his agent.
The way I understand it, the team doesn't get compensation with the transition tag. The transition tag just gives the right to match another team's offer. It's the non-exclusive franchise tag that would require the 2 first round picks.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Mahomes and possibly Russell Wilson are the only current QB's a team might consider giving up 2 first round picks for.
As much as I agree with you, all it takes is one team (maybe even one person) to value someone more highly than everyone else. Things happen every year that no one thought possible. Not saying someone will trade two 1sts for a QB (Dak or otherwise) just that crazy things happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I agree with you, all it takes is one team (maybe even one person) to value someone more highly than everyone else. Things happen every year that no one thought possible. Not saying someone will trade two 1sts for a QB (Dak or otherwise) just that crazy things happen.
I agree that you never know. I would be shocked if someone would give that up, but you are right that strange things happen sometimes.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The Jaguars just gave up two first round picks, and a fourth round pick- for a CB!
I still contend there's a QB desperate team out there that would give up 2 first round picks for Dak. I do not believe Jerry would do the trade though. Also, there's a huge difference between 2 high first rounders and 2 late ones.
It's all academic. The Cowboys will sign Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The way I understand it, the team doesn't get compensation with the transition tag. The transition tag just gives the right to match another team's offer. It's the non-exclusive franchise tag that would require the 2 first round picks.

You are right. That is the tag I should have referred to. Thank you for correcting me.