If all those people hadn't died on Titanic

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I won't rehash the story because I'm sure everyone here knows the story of Titanic. Many people claim that a ship was nearby that did nothing, the Californian. Others claim that's a myth. That leads to my question. What if a nearby ship had been able to get there before Titanic went down and hence everyone or nearly everyone had been saved. They would have lost the ship, but they would not have had that severe loss of life. Do you think they would have still made the changes in regulations to make ship travel safer? For example, they mandated enough lifeboats for everyone on board. If I'm not mistaken, they also mandated that a wireless operator stayed on duty 24/7. Without the shocking loss of life, do you think the sinking of the ship alone would have been enough to get those changes made?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd say probably not.

Changes are often just reactively made. It usually takes a death or a tragedy or a complaint, etc before proper adjustments are made.

But I think that if it had not been the Titanic, some other ship's sinking at sea would have caused similar changes to be made

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
A majority of people are flat out stupid. They only learn / react after catastrophic failure.

This reminds me of a quote by George Bernard Shaw.

“Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think. ~ George Bernard Shaw”

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I doubt it. Just look at black lung in the Cole mining industry; when it's a slow "unseen" death, business as usual, etc.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Smh..coal..
58827036.jpg