If Bill was still here....

superpunk

Reaction score
For the past five weeks, after each of our fantastic and glorious wins, we've been treated to ill-concieved "If Bill was still here..." threads. I didn't want that trend to die out, so I figured I'd get it started. the first five words are in place, it's up to you to figure out how dismal this game would have been "If Bill was still here..."

"If Bill was still here, Romo would have contracted syphillis in the second quarter and Barber would have tested positive for having too much ****ing testosterone - which would have resulted in a suspension for being too damn manly."

"If Bill was still here, apartheid would still dominate South Africa."

Your thoughts are most welcome.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
superpunk;1710213 said:
For the past five weeks, after each of our fantastic and glorious wins, we've been treated to ill-concieved "If Bill was still here..." threads. I didn't want that trend to die out, so I figured I'd get it started. the first five words are in place, it's up to you to figure out how dismal this game would have been "If Bill was still here..."

"If Bill was still here, Romo would have contracted syphillis in the second quarter and Barber would have tested positive for having too much ****ing testosterone - which would have resulted in a suspension for being too damn manly."

"If Bill was still here, apartheid would still dominate South Africa."

Your thoughts are most welcome.
If Bill was still here we wouldn't be reading any "if Bill was still here" posts.:lmao2:

I think the outcome would have been similar if Bill was still here. His focus on TOP might have helped a little, but I don't believe his scheme would have stopped the cheats tonight. We probably would have tried to run the ball more, but who's to say that would have been successful.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1710224 said:
We would have lost by more.

Maybe.

Or, maybe we tell our cracker-jack offensive coordinator to run the damn ball and quit trying to get into a shootout with the Patriots, when our defense is clearly incapable of stopping them.

I think it could go either way.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
If Bill was still here we don't score as many points, but we don't give up as many either. He would have force-fed the run until they got too far ahead and forced us to pass. Either way, we have MORE time of possession than we had today and maybe a slightly fresher defense. Who knows.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1710235 said:
Maybe.

Or, maybe we tell our cracker-jack offensive coordinator to run the damn ball and quit trying to get into a shootout with the Patriots, when our defense is clearly incapable of stopping them.

I think it could go either way.
I can't see how being conservative would have ever won that game. If we don't get that ridiculous PI in the 3rd and we stop them on a couple more 3rd downs, it's a totally different ball game.

Going conservative was not the answer.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;1710248 said:
I can't see how being conservative would have ever won that game. If we don't get that ridiculous PI in the 3rd and we stop them on a couple more 3rd downs, it's a totally different ball game.

I agree.

Tell that to our gassed defense. Although the penalties affected that, ending our drives and extending theirs.

Do we coach penalties, now?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
If bill was still here we wouldn't be making so many dumb penalties

what?

We would play that game run first and marion barber never woulda made that amazing play that shoulda been a safety

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
If Bill was here, the Cowboys probably would've allowed fewer (and scored fewer) points.

My hypothetical score would be 38-13

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;1710248 said:

I'm in somewhat of an agreement with him. We really have to get some time of possession here and there. Against a good offense like that, you've got to give your defense a chance to rest and we never did. I understand we felt like we needed to score because our defense couldn't slow them down, but we were in the game when the 4th quarter started and then our defense just ran out of steam.

If by some chance we might have run the ball a little more and let them rest a little more maybe it turns out a little different. Who knows, but I do know we HAVE to run the ball more often than we do.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
If bill was here we would have more man boobs on the sideline

no such thing as too many man boobs

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;1710256 said:
Tell that to our gassed defense. Although the penalties affected that, ending our drives and extending theirs.

Do we coach penalties, now?
The defense was gassed because they couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs, not because of what the offense was doing.

And personally I think the reason we couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs is because we went conservative too often.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;1710268 said:
If bill was here we would have more man boobs on the sideline

no such thing as too many man boobs
qft.

This is what I'm looking for. :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ozzu;1710261 said:
I'm in somewhat of an agreement with him. We really have to get some time of possession here and there. Against a good offense like that, you've got to give your defense a chance to rest and we never did. I understand we felt like we needed to score because our defense couldn't slow them down, but we were in the game when the 4th quarter started and then our defense just ran out of steam.

If by some chance we might have run the ball a little more and let them rest a little more maybe it turns out a little different. Who knows, but I do know we HAVE to run the ball more often than we do.
We ran the ball a decent percentage in the first half (considering), yet lost the TOP battle significantly.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;1710281 said:
We ran the ball a decent percentage in the first half (considering), yet lost the TOP battle significantly.

True. It just seems like we we're so quick to give up on it. Maybe not. :eek::

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ozzu;1710282 said:
True. It just seems like we we're so quick to give up on it. Maybe not. :eek::
The Patriots gave up on it. And they dominated the TOP.

Bill would not have fixed that one iota.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;1710287 said:
The Patriots gave up on it. And they dominated the TOP.

Bill would not have fixed that one iota.

They just did what any team that REALLY wants to dominate TOP and can't run the ball does; short pass after short pass after short pass. We just never adjusted.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1710248 said:

Just cuz we'd of ran the ball more doesn't mean it's "more conservative".

I think we should of ran the ball more cuz we were actually doing a solid job of it. They sure as hell didn't do anything to discourage us from running.

And it sure as hell isn't a bad idea to keep the Pats O on the sideline. Our D needed some rest, we should of ran the ball more.

I'm not saying we should of gone run run run run run, but a few more handoffs would of been a good thing.