If Dak can read defenses, how is he putting up elite stats?

jnday

Reaction score
Yeah the Dak can’t read defense thing is silly. If his coaches suck and he can’t read defenses then how in the world is he still in the league??
He can read defenses, but he is very slow. He also overlooks wide open WRs. Teams have caught on to his problem, so they stack the line to stop the run and make Dak beat them. He can’t do it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think pre snap he's probably fine but post snap gives him trouble especially when they have disguised what they are actually doing. And that's most QB's but he also waits till the receiver is open to release the ball where the really good QB's anticipate where the receiver will be open and that's where they put the ball. If that makes sense

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
"Reading Defenses" is a pretty vague term. My opinion is that Dak is pretty good at pre snap reads. You draw up a play on a white board and he will walk you through it with ease. What defenses have started to do this year is adjust post snap, and Dak has struggled with his post snap reads. Where I get stumped in my watching Dak film is you have guys in Cooper, Lamb, even Schultz that are all excellent at creating space. You'll see these guys open on tape, but Dak misses his window. Not sure if thats an inability to read coverage, unable to feel pressure in the pocket, simple lack of confidence, or something else all together.

Total guess here, but it almost feels to me like Dak is reading too much instead of just simple find the open man, and get rid of the ball. That's honestly what made him so good early in his career. The guy just dropped back, found an open man, delivered the ball. Didnt rack up 400 yards, but moved the chains and limited turnovers.

The Cowboys seems to go out of there way (maybe to a fault) of giving Dak easy reads. It's why they often line the RB out wide then bring him in, limit pre-snap motion, etc. The offensive scheme seems to be overly simple, and to be honest i'm not sure if its limiting Dak or thats because of Dak.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Raiders game we were behind whole game and was in come back mode. Should have went for the win instead of settling for the tie.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Jared Goff couldn’t read defenses and went to a Super Bowl and is still on a team. Reading complex defenses isn’t necessarily a requirement to be an NFL QB. Dak can only handle simple coverages. Anything more than that and he panics, takes sacks, etc. what a great QB we have :facepalm:
Goff had mcvay. Dak has had Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore…..again if he can’t read defenses and his coaches aren’t good how is he still putting up numbers

Trajan

Reaction score
They have been doing it since the Denver game. Apparently, McCarthy and Moore perform zero self scouting.

The fact our coaching staff and Dak have not found an answer is the most troubling piece. You would think the boy wonder (Kellen) would know what is coming at some point and design an answer.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Name me a player that has taken less money for playing football. After a career threatening injury? Please answer the question.
Your post are very revealing, very revealing indeed

fansince68

Reaction score
Weaker teams like the playoff Pats that he passed for 445 against or the playoff Raiders whom he had 375. Yes not every game against a playoff team was great, but that is true for most QBs. Mahomes had some pretty bad games this season against good teams but some pretty great ones as well.
You didn't mention Giants X 2, WFT X 2 and Eagles X 2.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The fact our coaching staff and Dak have not found an answer is the most troubling piece. You would think the boy wonder (Kellen) would know what is coming at some point and design an answer.
100%. Scheme your QB out of trouble.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Because he isn't nearly as bad as some here are making him to be.

We can win with him, but we have to get some things right (coaching, run game, defence) (which is pretty much the same for all QB's)

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Stats only tell half the story. Some argued that Jaylon Smith was a good player based on his stats. He was actually garbage.

Dak was not very good after week 6, but keep hanging on to those stats. They really got us far.

Oh, and Dez even tweeted about it but I'm sure you know more than Dez also.

Yep..... DAK put up some crazy stats against the WFT, Eagles and NYG.....not so much for teams outside the division..

morat1959

Reaction score
I’m watching Josh allen just make play after play. Mahomes as well.

I’m sorry dark just doesn’t do any of that stuff. The 49ers two best defenders were out and guy couldn’t even get passed mid field.
These 2 kids are the real deal. Along with the kid in Cinncy. Meanwhile…we’ve got Dak. So sad!!!!

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that he can’t read defenses. I think however he struggles between being to conservative and aggressive. Sometimes he’s just too conservative in games and won’t take chances.

I for the life of me don’t understand why he won’t use his legs anymore either. Even if it’s just to pick up a first down or two. Keep the d honest

I am wonder the same. Patty Mac and Josh Allen is both showing you that a qb that can get some yards running just deflates the defense. I wish Dak would use his legs more. Crazy is Josh Allen almost ran for 800 yards with over 4400 yards passing. Dak has more pass yards, passing touchdowns and less interceptions then Josh Allen. But Josh Allen has about 600 more rushing yards and 5 more rushing TD's than Dak. Dak had a good stat year. I would love to see us attack all of the field will our players mainly WR's. If you watch the games our outside wr's rarely run across the middle of the field or they always run stop routes. Its almost like Jason Garrets offense all over again.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He can read defenses, but he is very slow. He also overlooks wide open WRs. Teams have caught on to his problem, so they stack the line to stop the run and make Dak beat them. He can’t do it.

Good thing we pay him 40 million a year for that.

Well, like I said at least he puts up good stats.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
If you want to see great quarterbacking rewatch the Bills,Chiefs game. Dak is nowhere near their level