If Dak gets tagged will there be any team that offers up two 1st round picks?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sure, that's why I said those teams would all consider it lol.

Look at Pitt, for instance. Their biggest issue was that they had incompetent QBs. If Roeth retires, the swap in salary to Dak is minimal (relative to some other teams) and you're immediately one of the 3-4 best teams in that conference.

I don't agree. I mean, I see that argument there and Dak in Pitt might actually be a really nice fit but, Todd France is still going to want 40 mil annually and he's still going to want a 4 or 5 year deal and then go back to the well. Pitt paid Ruthlessraper but historically, Pitt is not a very generous franchise. They don't typically give out those kinds of deals and they definitely didn't do that for Ben until he actually brought home a championship for them so I'm not sure they would look at Dak and value him as much as you might think they would. But hey, I'm all for tagging him and seeing what's out there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There is no QB in the league today that I would consider trading two number 1s and paying out at the highest salary in the league for. I just don't believe that this is the way to win championships. I think you have to build the team across the board and find a QB that can fit within the salary cap. That's just my opinion.
Mahomes?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't agree. I mean, I see that argument there and Dak in Pitt might actually be a really nice fit but, Todd France is still going to want 40 mil annually and he's still going to want a 4 or 5 year deal and then go back to the well. Pitt paid Ruthlessraper but historically, Pitt is not a very generous franchise. They don't typically give out those kinds of deals and they definitely didn't do that for Ben until he actually brought home a championship for them so I'm not sure they would look at Dak and value him as much as you might think they would. But hey, I'm all for tagging him and seeing what's out there.
I mean if they, or any other team, wants to be cheap at the QB spot, they're just never going to have a great QB - Pitt or otherwise. It doesn't matter what teams want to pay. The QB market is the QB market.

Ben won both his Super Bowls on a rookie deal, which was for 6 years. They didn't pay him before that because he was always under contract lol. Agree that he probably got more b/c he won, but that was a different era.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dak will not be franchised. Forget that talk. He doesn’t want it, and the team definitely doesn’t want to franchise him or Cooper as that is a big bite out of the cap for next year. No one would give two #1’s unless they did some wheeling and dealing to make sure they were both late round picks. It’s not just the picks but also having to work out a deal with him.

Unless neither wants to be a Cowboy, Dak and Cooper will both be signed prior to the draft this spring.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I mean if they, or any other team, wants to be cheap at the QB spot, they're just never going to have a great QB - Pitt or otherwise. It doesn't matter what teams want to pay. The QB market is the QB market.

Ben won both his Super Bowls on a rookie deal, which was for 6 years. They didn't pay him before that because he was always under contract lol. Agree that he probably got more b/c he won, but that was a different era.

Exactly! That's who Pittsburgh is IMO so would they really spend 40 Mil a year on Dak, who has been in the league and hasn't won anything yet? I don't know that they would do that. I mean, look at what they just did with Bell. That wasn't all that long ago. Hard to say.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak will not be franchised. Forget that talk. He doesn’t want it, and the team definitely doesn’t want to franchise him or Cooper as that is a big bite out of the cap for next year. No one would give two #1’s unless they did some wheeling and dealing to make sure they were both late round picks. It’s not just the picks but also having to work out a deal with him.

Unless neither wants to be a Cowboy, Dak and Cooper will both be signed prior to the draft this spring.

It would actually be cheaper if they Franchised him so I don't think it would be a negative Cap move.

Reactions: CWR

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Pay Dak or Tag and Keep or Tag and Reel in two first round picks? I see a max of 12 teams that would be potential candidates for making a move. Just throwing out "what ifs" here. The day we're allowed to tag Dak:

-How soon will a team make an offer? Immediately, within the first week, during the draft, etc.

-If a team makes an offer would you match or decline? If the Panthers, Bengals, Bears, Bucs, or whoever offer up their first round picks do you brush it off or jump on it? If you decline, why?

Be honest and disregard whatever the Cowboys might do to keep you from answering.
i would take it, sign Brady and move up to draft Tua

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Make an agreement with the Bengals:

You take Dak and give us 2 first round picks.
If the picks are this year and next, we will select Burrow and give you back next years 1st .

If the picks start in 2021, the Bengals will select Burrow and trade him to us and we will give them back their 2 picks.

....and then I woke up.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Exactly! That's who Pittsburgh is IMO so would they really spend 40 Mil a year on Dak, who has been in the league and hasn't won anything yet? I don't know that they would do that. I mean, look at what they just did with Bell. That wasn't all that long ago. Hard to say.
You can't compare QB to RB.

We don't know who Pittsburgh is in this era. Ben just got $34m a year and hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade. Dak at $37m isn't nearly as much of a stretch as you're making it out to be.

InTheZone

Reaction score
What’s puzzling to me about this scenario is, whenever somebody brings up the idea of letting Prescott walk and trying to draft somebody else the common rebuttal to that argument is that your odds of getting an established quarterback in the draft are very low

so then I am left to wonder if this is the way the cowboys are supposed to think regarding Dak, then why wouldn’t other NFL teams think the same way? Why wouldn’t they pony up $35-$40 million per year for Dak Rather than risk trying to draft a good quarterback? I mean if it’s such a great idea for us to pursue this line of thought then why doesn’t the same logic apply to other teams?

Is this a subtle admission that the rest of the league does not view him quite as highly as we are told they do?

giphy.gif

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can't compare QB to RB.

We don't know who Pittsburgh is in this era. Ben just got $34m a year and hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade. Dak at $37m isn't nearly as much of a stretch as you're making it out to be.

Of course not, the numbers are much more expensive when you are dealing with a QB but there again, Pittsburgh has a bit of a record where this is concerned. Pittsburgh wouldn't even extend on the cheaper RB so I don't know that this improves the argument.

It's true that Pittsburgh gave Roethlisberger a two year extension but think about that for just a second. They gave a guy who has proven he can win it a two year deal and a deal that is much less then what Dak's agent is looking for. Add to that, the fact that Ben got hurt, right off the bat, and who knows what Pittsburgh might think about this deal today?

InTheZone

Reaction score
+1

If its a bad idea for Dallas to let him go for two firsts, that means its a good idea for the rest of the league to trade two firsts for him. You really can't have it both ways.

At a minimum, I would give Dak the non exclusive tag and tell him to negotiate with other teams. It would help leverage. If someone offers something you don't want to match, take the two firsts. If he only gets small offers, that tells him his market value isn't as high as he thinks.
I believe this will benefit everyone involved.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Of course not, the numbers are much more expensive when you are dealing with a QB but there again, Pittsburgh has a bit of a record where this is concerned. Pittsburgh wouldn't even extend on the cheaper RB so I don't know that this improves the argument.

It's true that Pittsburgh gave Roethlisberger a two year extension but think about that for just a second. They gave a guy who has proven he can win it a two year deal and a deal that is much less then what Dak's agent is looking for. Add to that, the fact that Ben got hurt, right off the bat, and who knows what Pittsburgh might think about this deal today?
What Bell was asking for relative to his value was way out of whack b/c he's an RB. It doesn't matter that he was cheaper, specifcially, it matters that he wasn't valuable.

You're putting too much stock in this $40m number. Even if the agent is asking that, it's standard negotiating. Ask $40m, knowing that the team will offer $33 and you just meet in the middle.

I mean I get your concerns, but if you go through all of the team's in PItt's scenario, it shouldn't be surprising to think that one would be OK with paying it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What Bell was asking for relative to his value was way out of whack b/c he's an RB. It doesn't matter that he was cheaper, specifcially, it matters that he wasn't valuable.

You're putting too much stock in this $40m number. Even if the agent is asking that, it's standard negotiating. Ask $40m, knowing that the team will offer $33 and you just meet in the middle.

I mean I get your concerns, but if you go through all of the team's in PItt's scenario, it shouldn't be surprising to think that one would be OK with paying it.

Out of whack how? It's less then what Zeke actually made so I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. How was he not valuable? The Jets paid him 52 mil over 4 years with 35 guaranteed so clearly they saw value in him.

It was reported that the Cowboys were already in the area of 34 but they still turned it down. Nobody knows what the real number is but if we are just talking about what has been reported, then no, I don't think what you suggest above is true because the team has already tried that and still we have no deal.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Out of whack how? It's less then what Zeke actually made so I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. How was he not valuable? The Jets paid him 52 mil over 4 years with 35 guaranteed so clearly they saw value in him.

It was reported that the Cowboys were already in the area of 34 but they still turned it down. Nobody knows what the real number is but if we are just talking about what has been reported, then no, I don't think what you suggest above is true because the team has already tried that and still we have no deal.
He wasn't valuable to the Steelers. That's my point, every team has priorities. The Jets find value in a RB, the Steelers didn't. The Steelers clearly find value in paying a QB though, so the comps to Bell are irrelevant.

The team hasn't tried $37 if they offered $34, and it's probably more about guarantees than anything.

fansince68

Reaction score
It would be awesome if the Dolphins made such an offer. Tua Tua Tua Tua..........