If Dallas moves at FS-NT-LB after May 12, day FAs no longer impact Comp pick formula

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If DAL is gonna make a FA move at either S or NT, it probably won’t come until after May 12. That’s the day FAs no-longer impact the Comp pick formula

1:46 PM - 29 Apr 2018

Might be why they're waiting and just picking up UDFAs now.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Spagnola's column on DC.com seemed to imply that Dallas knows there will be salary cap cuts later on that will make new players available. A ST and 1T would be nice, Dallas has tons of cap room available for guys like that.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Spagnola's column on DC.com seemed to imply that Dallas knows there will be salary cap cuts later on that will make new players available. A ST and 1T would be nice, Dallas has tons of cap room available for guys like that.
Terrell McClain isn't long for the Commanders.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If DAL is gonna make a FA move at either S or NT, it probably won’t come until after May 12. That’s the day FAs no-longer impact the Comp pick formula

1:46 PM - 29 Apr 2018

2nd Free Agency could plug a hole or two for DAL, at least add some veteran competition for these youngins.

DanA

Reaction score
Jonathan Hankins on a 1 year deal on May 13th would be a great signing for us. He'd also probably net us a 4th or 5th round compo pick at the end of the year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its probably why alot of guys like Boston, Hankins, and Bowman are out there

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Would be VERY smart if DAL in fact utilizes these dates.
I've argued they are smarter than other team and that hasn't looked very bright given the 9-7, lol... but I assure you in time this method will prove genius.
Talent acquisition is a numbers game and you are giving yourself every advantage when you stack low end comp picks for essentially free.

Cap space doesn't vaporize if unused and they can roll anything forward they like if the post May 12 market is shallow.
Really not losing much since they stay out of first wave free agency anyway.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I've never heard this mentioned. That makes sense.
It used to be June 1st but they moved it up to May 12th a couple years ago to help these vets get jobs and into OTAs with their new teams

DAL is sitting on a 4th round Comp Pick for Hitchens right now but any new qualifying FA would erase that no matter what the salary amount .....we would have signed 5 and lost 5

We may not get it anyways......guys like Bene, Butler and Wilber need to stay employed all year but they also could cut Ealy or MMartin to balance it out

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
With Tre Boston, Eric Reid, and Kenny Vaccaro still out there, I have no issue waiting til May 12th.

My issue would be if this front office arrogantly and foolishly roles with the "we like what we have at safety" mantra again.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Dez doesn't get signed until after the 12th because of that as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It used to be June 1st but they moved it up to May 12th a couple years ago to help these vets get jobs and into OTAs with their new teams

DAL is sitting on a 4th round Comp Pick for Hitchens right now but any new qualifying FA would erase that no matter what the salary amount .....we would have signed 5 and lost 5

We may not get it anyways......guys like Bene, Butler and Wilber need to stay employed all year but they also could cut Ealy or MMartin to balance it out
There's a good chance all 3 make it.....but Bene might be the casualty.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
With Tre Boston, Eric Reid, and Kenny Vaccaro still out there, I have no issue waiting til May 12th.

My issue would be if this front office arrogantly and foolishly roles with the "we like what we have at safety" mantra again.
If the above guys are all that's out there? I could understand them staying with what they have honestly. Now Earl Thomas is a different story.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Jonathan Hankins on a 1 year deal on May 13th would be a great signing for us. He'd also probably net us a 4th or 5th round compo pick at the end of the year.

That would be a guy I would look at, but we know that isn’t happening with this staff.