If he was there at #51?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's something to talk about:

If Alabama OT Andre Smith were there at #51 would you draft him?

He had a lousy combine and followed it up with a terrible Pro Day workout so he's in a freefall right now.

Given what he's done on the field, and factoring in his recent history, would you roll the dice on him if he fell to #51?

Aven8

Reaction score
U betcha! This kid may be lazy...but he's a brawler! Best lineman in the draft IMO. He blew SEC defenders off the ball.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes. At 51, you can afford to go for him. I cannot imagine him being there. His measurables are low, but the kid is very talented.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
He's still going to be a top 20 pick. If he is capable of falling to bottom dozen of the 2nd he's probably capable of falling right down to near the bottom of the 2nd because teams just deem him that much of a risk. Kind of like Antonio Bryant when we drafted him back in 2000.

The guy won the Biletnikoff trophy his sophomore year and at that time only Randy Moss ever did that. Eventually Larry Fitzgerald did it too. Some pretty good company there.

So if Smith is capable of dropping to the 2nd I believe it would be almost to the 3rd and in that case I would move up to the 2nd with 1 of our 3rds and swoop him up. If we got him he could play behind Flo and Colombo his first year to humble his butt and get his head right again.

He's actually suited better for right tackle the experts say and Colombo just signed a 2 year extension. But I know, we want him to replace Flo.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Edit since I can't inmy original posts: We drafted Bryant in 2002 pick # 63. Have it as 2000.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Initially I thought "yes", but the more I think on it, taking a headcase that needs to be babysat with the first pick just distorts the message that Jerry was trying to send w/his cuts of Owens and Roy38.

Many say Roy quit after getting his big payday, 3 or 4 years into his career, this kid has quit before he's even drafted, never mind played one pro down.

No more selfish lazy quitters, no matter the talent/potential.

newlander

Reaction score
I generally trust Brandt's opinion. He's a wise, old sage. BUT, Smith is a tub of goo eh?

Alabama’s Smith not necessarily doomed by poor times
Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Alabama, Andre Smith

Andre Smith works out at Alabama's pro day. (Dan Lopez / Associated Press)
While Andre Smith may not have put forth sensational workout drill numbers, word out of Tuscaloosa is that he looked far better in his positional drills. The workout drills may not be totally indicative of Smith’s ability.

Weight issues and workout times are not always the best barometer of a prospect’s skill level. I’m reminded of former Pro Bowl lineman Nate Newton.

I signed Newton when I was with the Cowboys, the afternoon after the USFL went under and he weighed 295 pounds at the time (heavy for that day and age). Some of our coaches wondered how he would be able to perform at his size, but he wound up being one of the best players in the league at his position.

Not to say Smith will be the next Nate Newton, but he should not automatically be dismissed because of his weight or disappointing workout drill times — especially given his impressive college tape and solid performance in the positional drills.

That said, the initial impressions from Smith’s workout were not overly impressive. He came into his pro day hoping to post solid numbers and prove to scouts that he was in shape after showing up to the combine overweight and leaving Indianapolis unannounced without doing the drills.

He told Steve Wyche heading into the pro day, “There’s so much I’m putting into March 11. They say don’t put all your eggs in one basket but I’m doing that on this occasion because I feel like I need to give the best showing I can.”

Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. He did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

– Gil Brandt

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Tough call, but I'd pass. Doesn't matter how much ability you have if you don't have the drive or discipline to take advantage of it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2685424 said:
Tough call, but I'd pass. Doesn't matter how much ability you have if you don't have the drive or discipline to take advantage of it.

No worries, he is long gone my mid 1st round.