If I were Marinelli, I'd quit

Pokes12

Reaction score
I would walk away from this mess, right now. If you are not given ingredients how can you make a decent soup? Marinelli is being asked to make a defense out of a bunch of no-names, has beens, never was, never will bes. And now red ball is jumping ugly with him blaming him for the mess. This will ruin Marinelli's stellar reputation. The defense exhibited in San Diego was a complete carbon copy of last year's debacle. The only way we win any games this year will be 48 to 45. Our offense has to outscore the other's. That is a big burden on the offense cause they don't get to play our defense except in practice and that does not count.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would walk away from this mess, right now. If you are not given ingredients how can you make a decent soup? Marinelli is being asked to make a defense out of a bunch of no-names, has beens, never was, never will bes. And now red ball is jumping ugly with him blaming him for the mess. This will ruin Marinelli's stellar reputation. The defense exhibited in San Diego was a complete carbon copy of last year's debacle. The only way we win any games this year will be 48 to 45. Our offense has to outscore the other's. That is a big burden on the offense cause they don't get to play our defense except in practice and that does not count.

Not that i'm not agreeing with you but your offense always has to out score the other's offense. That's the basic principle of football.

You have to outscore the other team and 99.9% of the time people do that because their offense out score the other offense.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli can't make Minestrone soup? I am getting confused here.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Marinelli has a pretty monumental challenge ahead of him, but there aren't many other DCs Jason Garrett could have in the foxhole along with him to maximize his chances for success.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But look at the feather in his cap should we pull a 8-8 or better season.

The Natural

Reaction score

I missed this can you provide a link

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
But look at the feather in his cap should we pull a 8-8 or better season.

Some are saying Rex Ryan had his best season as a coach last year (8-8). He made that horrible Jet's team competitive and many are saying that was a bigger feat than his AFC championship teams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not so sure you are right here....I had some pretty darn good, even great Gumbo Soup made from whatever was laying around, with a few decent store bought items too.
And made from people who weren't true chefs...
My bet is Marinelli can do some cooking.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Here is the article http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Garrett-Not-Happy-with-the-Defense-270776141.html

Here are the highlights. Quoting Mr. Red Ball. I ain't making this stuff up and I am not a quitter. But it does look like Mr. Garrett is already politicking to keep his job by deflecting the problem onto Mr. Marinelli.

Let’s start from top to bottom,” Garrett told the team's official website. “The discipline wasn’t very good, the gap control wasn’t very good, it wasn’t very physical, we didn’t tackle very well, we didn’t run to the ball well enough, we didn’t make enough plays. We made one play on the ball that was significant, but we didn’t make any plays that made a difference in the game.”

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I forgot who mentioned this (my apology) but this is not a one-year deal. Marinelli is being given the opportunity to build a defense and, if Jerry is realistic, he will be here long term to see it complete.

This year's defense may not be very good but I do believe they will compete and they will grow. The key will be how well some of the young unknowns (Wilcox, Carter, Crawford, Claiborne, Lawrence) respond under his tutelage/direction.

foofighters

Reaction score

Quit and football shouldn't in the same sentence. Some guys have "it" and others don't. by your post, you don't have "it" either.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Part of the issue is the injuries. I just think that Garrett and Woicik are clueless as to how to prevent injuries in today's NFL. If we had stayed healthy, we could have had this for a starting defense:

RDE: Lawrence
DT: Melton
DT: Hayden
LDE: Spencer/Selvie
ROLB: Carter
MLB: Lee
LOLB: Durant/McClain
CB: Carr
CB: Scandrick/Claiborne
SS: Church
FS: Wilcox

Not the '85 Bears by any means, but a fairly formidable group.

But, Jerry hasn't done the team any favors by being unable to stockpile draft picks. That makes the team younger, helps with replacing injured players and keeps veterans hungry enough so they don't lose their job to a rookie or a 2nd year player.

However, Marinelli probably deserves some blame here as well. The league is now more about good safety play than it is about good cornerback play. The corners are more there for tackling purposes because the league is about short passes that will be completed. It's about bringing the receiver down quickly. But, Marinelli doesn't seem to be big on finding that elite safety and would rather get by with Church, Wilcox and Heath.

YR

foofighters

Reaction score
Here is the article http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Garrett-Not-Happy-with-the-Defense-270776141.html

Here are the highlights. Quoting Mr. Red Ball. I ain't making this stuff up and I am not a quitter. But it does look like Mr. Garrett is already politicking to keep his job by deflecting the problem onto Mr. Marinelli.

Let’s start from top to bottom,” Garrett told the team's official website. “The discipline wasn’t very good, the gap control wasn’t very good, it wasn’t very physical, we didn’t tackle very well, we didn’t run to the ball well enough, we didn’t make enough plays. We made one play on the ball that was significant, but we didn’t make any plays that made a difference in the game.”

He said "we" and he also included the O and ST's. I don't like JG at all but I like what he says.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think coaches look at opportunities that way. Most of the greats, anyway, measure their best jobs coaching by how they pulled together teams that weren't as talented as their best rosters. Getting a bad group to mediocre is probably just as rewarding as getting a good group to great.

That said, I like Marinelli's personality...but I'm on the fence about how good a coordinator he really is. As a position coach, his reputation is obviously outstanding. But that's not the same thing as coordinator. As I've said before, if he's able to stabilize the roster, and just get the players on the roster where they're supposed to be and playing sound football, I'm ok with us getting beat physically on defense for now. Maybe towards the end of the year some of the more athletic young players come into their own and we start getting more competitive, but more than that from this roster at this point I don't think is realistic. We're just going to have to beat people into submission on offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Most people aren't quitters and I would hope Marinelli isn't either.