If it were Ruggs who was avail

DFWJC

Reaction score
When our pick was approaching it sounds like the team was very surprised and excited that Chaisson was falling to them.
Their ideal scenario.
But never in their wildest dreams would Lamb be there at 17.
So they took him.

They were happy Ruggs was drafted so they'd have a chance at their preferred player, Chaisson.
This isn't even debatable, guys
Lamb was different altogether

Im guessing
6) Lamb
11-13) Chaisson and Henderson
17-20) Ruggs

Creeper

Reaction score
You’re mixing up Raegor and Ruggs times. Ruggs ran in the 4.2’s.

This year more than any I’d love for the draft board to be leaked but I doubt the is a white bird to take a picture of.

Sorry that was a typo. He ran a 4.27. My bad.

Verdict

Reaction score
At 17 and only Ruggs was available would we still have taking WR instead of Chaisson???

If Ruggs and Lamb were both available at 17 who would you have chosen and why??

IMO, we may have taken Ruggs. Sure the FO now says Lamb is 6th on their big board. But Ruggs has speed that can't be taught. This offense is missing that take the top of speed as a 3rd WR.
Any of the Big 3 are on the board you take the WR. Chaisson isn’t a top tier player.

Verdict

Reaction score
Regardless of who we might've taken, the Cowboys would've taken
Chaisson
For sure

Chaisson is a tier below the Big 3. He is probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At 17 and only Ruggs was available would we still have taking WR instead of Chaisson???

If Ruggs and Lamb were both available at 17 who would you have chosen and why??

IMO, we may have taken Ruggs. Sure the FO now says Lamb is 6th on their big board. But Ruggs has speed that can't be taught. This offense is missing that take the top of speed as a 3rd WR.

Lamb over Ruggs.

The Cowboys definitely had Lamb rated above Ruggs.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
My go to site for draft prospects, Walter Football, had Lamb rated as the no. 1 receiver, so no...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ruggs should not have been drafted round 1.
There was no skill portion of his game that is elite.

He had less than 100 receptions in a career.
He didn't even run agility drills at the combine.

The guy he most compares with of the last decade is Tavon Austin.

People want to compare him to Tyreek Hill but Hill was a much more physical player having been a RB in college.

Any WR other than Lamb and I believe DAL would have taken Chaisson.
Jeudy was too limited in upside and Ruggs was simply an all-around gamble as a gadget guy.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Ruggs should not have been drafted round 1.
There was no skill portion of his game that is elite.

He had less than 100 receptions in a career.
He didn't even run agility drills at the combine.

The guy he most compares with of the last decade is Tavon Austin.

People want to compare him to Tyreek Hill but Hill was a much more physical player having been a RB in college.

Any WR other than Lamb and I believe DAL would have taken Chaisson.
Jeudy was too limited in upside and Ruggs was simply an all-around gamble as a gadget guy.

Ruggs has 3 inches and 15 pounds on Austin, but the biggest difference IMO is that his jumps are in a different universe. 42" VJ for Ruggs vs 32" for Austin.

You know how Dez Bryant could put one foot in the ground and just explode upfield? That's the kind of athleticism that the jumps are measuring. Ruggs' broad was just a hair behind Dez's (both were freakish), and then he turns that explosion in 4.2 long speed. Austin never had that kind of horsepower.

Austin was a jitterbug, Henry Ruggs is a rocket.

RS12

Reaction score
Chaisson has high bust potential IMO. We desperately need pass rush the fact we didn't reach for need is ok by me. I think Lamb could be our number one within two years. Cooper"s disappearing act needs to change or he will only be here two years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Chaisson is a tier below the Big 3. He is probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of player.
Yes and no. Chaisson is a high ceiling/low floor type of player. Think Clowney. It would've scared me to take him, but I wouldn't have been adverse.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I would've passed for another player. Ruggs is a compliment WR who I don't think will turn into a #1 and I'd be concerned about him staying healthy.

I think Chaisson was an overrated prospect, but I would've taken him or one of the top DBs available.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
When our pick was approaching it sounds like the team was very surprised and excited that Chaisson was falling to them.
Their ideal scenario.
But never in their wildest dreams would Lamb be there at 17.
So they took him.

They were happy Ruggs was drafted so they'd have a chance at their preferred player, Chaisson.
This isn't even debatable, guys
Lamb was different altogether

Im guessing
6) Lamb
11-13) Chaisson and Henderson
17-20) Ruggs

Yeah pretty confident Ruggs wouldn't have been the pick. Chaisson would have been it most likely or the Cowboys would have traded down for someone wanting to come up for Ruggs. Then it seems Diggs may have been a possibility later in the 1st round or a falling lb possibly. Glad it unfolded how it did and didn't have to take Chaisson who I feel has big bust potential.

Creeper

Reaction score
As I posted, I would have taken Ruggs, but I am fairly certain that Ruggs will only succeed in the right situation. The Cowboys are a perfect fit for Ruggs and Ruggs is a perfect fit for the Cowboys - once they signed Cooper. Ruggs is not a #1 receiver. He is not a possession guy who will have a lot of catches. He is a deep threat, jet sweep, blink and he's gone type of guy. He is what the Cowboys wanted from Austin. On the Cowboys, Ruggs would open up the entire offense and Zeke would have an easier time on the ground. You have to commit at least one guy to the deep ball every time Ruggs lines up. Almost the entire defense has to shift to him because one missed tackle and he goes for a home run.

Ruggs is not a 4.35 guy that can still get caught by some CBs - more of which are in the league every year. He is a 4.2 guy who can simply outrun everyone on the field and the only defense for him is to get a head start - or play deeper.

I think t his is why the Raiders took him so early. They play the chiefs twice a year and face Tyreek Hill. They know what an impact Hill has on the game. So the Raider decided to fight fire with fire - or speed with speed. I think Ruggs will do okay with the Raiders, but he would be much better with the Cowboys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Before the draft I had Lamb as the #1 WR in the draft.

I had Jeudy as the #1 WR for Dak.

But for the overall offense I had Ruggs as the #1 player to make all of our current pieces better.

Chaisson would've been a fantastic pick.

I probably would've selected Ruggs > Chaisson but it's a tough choice. Our team just really needs some speed..

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I get why people think Ruggs fits the offense better, but I think Lamb is the superior prospect. I guess if both players hit end up about the same overall then Ruggs *should* have been the pick, considering he has elite speed, but I think Ruggs at best will be a low end #1/high end #2. Lamb on the other hand, I can see him being a perennial pro bowl talent. Don't think he'll be the top WR like a Julio Jones, but I think he can play at a comparative level of say Michael Thomas.