If Larry Allen Goes...

Novacek84

Reaction score
With all this movement on the offensive line, I'm sorry to see Larry Allen (most likely) be let go. In this what have you done for me lately world I don't think many here appreciate how good Allen was in his prime. He was the most dominating O-line force in football for almost his entire career. One of the all-time steals in the draft. He deserves his place in the Cowboys ring of honor and hopefully he will get one. I hope people will say good things when he's gone- he deserves nothing less.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
There was still some thought that LA would be here after the Koshier signing, but the Fabini signing all but seals his fate. I really hope that he is given the option of doing a new deal to allow him to retire a Cowboy

Fred Smith

Benched
Reaction score
Signing Kosier, and having him start at LG in place of Allen, will allow the Cowboys to have enough money to sign WR Owens. The OL will now be Flozell Adams at LT, Kosier at LG, either Al Johnson or Andre Gurode at C, Rivera at RG, and Fabini and RT. Fabini is valuable because he could play LT if Flozell goes down again. Gurode is a valuable backup if he doesn't win the starting C position, because he can play several positions. We are still a little thin at OL with the impending release of Allen. I'm not sold on Pettitti, even as a backup RT to Fabini. Torrin Tucker is horrible, and we have no other players on the roster who are suitable backups. We will need to draft some OL in the first couple of rounds. I like the TE Hannam signing - we got younger at backup TE. I like to Ayodele signing - we have two solid ILBs on defense. I wouldn't be suprised to see us go for another OLB, such as Manny Lawson from NC State, in the first round of the draft. We also need another WR, even if we sign Owens. I wouldn't mind bringing back Key for a couple years at a cheaper price as a possession receiver.

Novacek84

Reaction score
I like the new-found flexibility on the line as much as anyone. I was just saying that we may not see the likes of Larry Allen around here ever again and that should be pointed out. I agree he's old and probably out of gas but he was a warrior in his prime.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comments like "He was the most dominating O-line force in football" and "I was just saying that we may not see the likes of Larry Allen around here ever again" and very true. A great Cowboy player who deserves to be in the ROH and HOF.

His time may be up in Dallas but the memories will last forever. Thanks LA!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Fred Smith said:
Signing Kosier, and having him start at LG in place of Allen, will allow the Cowboys to have enough money to sign WR Owens. The OL will now be Flozell Adams at LT, Kosier at LG, either Al Johnson or Andre Gurode at C, Rivera at RG, and Fabini and RT. Fabini is valuable because he could play LT if Flozell goes down again. Gurode is a valuable backup if he doesn't win the starting C position, because he can play several positions. We are still a little thin at OL with the impending release of Allen. I'm not sold on Pettitti, even as a backup RT to Fabini. Torrin Tucker is horrible, and we have no other players on the roster who are suitable backups. We will need to draft some OL in the first couple of rounds. I like the TE Hannam signing - we got younger at backup TE. I like to Ayodele signing - we have two solid ILBs on defense. I wouldn't be suprised to see us go for another OLB, such as Manny Lawson from NC State, in the first round of the draft. We also need another WR, even if we sign Owens. I wouldn't mind bringing back Key for a couple years at a cheaper price as a possession receiver.

I wouldn't dump tucker until I see what he can do at his real position G. He was a top rated guard coming out of college and we moved him to tackle.

CoCo

Reaction score
Novacek84 said:
With all this movement on the offensive line, I'm sorry to see Larry Allen (most likely) be let go. In this what have you done for me lately world I don't think many here appreciate how good Allen was in his prime. He was the most dominating O-line force in football for almost his entire career. One of the all-time steals in the draft. He deserves his place in the Cowboys ring of honor and hopefully he will get one. I hope people will say good things when he's gone- he deserves nothing less.

"What have you done for me lately" implies a fickleness that does not apply here.

No one disputes the former greatness of Allen. NO ONE!!!

But that Larry Allen is more distant than Emmitt's greatness when he was shown the door.

"What have you done for me lately" would apply if Allen had a single down year, or a couple injuries. But the fact is that Allen had injuries, physical degeneration, attitude degeneration, and several down years consecutively. It is clear now that Larry's greatness left the building a long time ago and is never coming back.

The Cowboys haven't run out of patience. Larry has run out of the ability necessary to earn his whopping paycheck. Larry has been adequately paid for the services rendered. We now need to match salary to ability in the present.

Yes, honor the greatness of his past with the Ring of Honor and eventual HOF enshrinement. If he wishes to play on elsewhere, more power to him. But in Dallas, the greatness is done, and there is no reason to linger unless he wants to take a sizeable paycut and a likely seat on the bench. There is no shame in that for Larry. Nor should there be shame for the fans or organization who recognize the past is past and are eager for the future.

Larry Allen is not a victim of "what have you done for me lately". Rather he is a victim of "all good things must come to and end." Lets not spin it any other way.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
The 49ers let Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig and Joe Montana go before the fans thought they should. Letting LA go is just good management.

Thanks to LA for what he did, but don't feel sorry for him or forget, he was paid handsomely for some good years, but also some clunkers as well.

We have to move on.

MONT17

Reaction score
I think ALLEN stays... just because every player the Cowboys cut this offseason there was no hesitation... GLOVER, KEY and now ROGERS... all got cut with the quickness and sometimes shockingly!!! I like ALLEN because u are going to need a player to TELL MeO to **** and play, if ALLEN is willing to do that then I say keep him and pay him his salary.

I also feel like if u are going to make a SB run u cant cut guys like ALLEN and expect guys like PETERMAN to be backups!!!!

TORRIN TUCKER is a BILL favorite and I personaly think he is better suited to play OG but I'm not a coach. But with the FABINI sign maybe the coaches will stop trying to put a square peg in at OT!!!

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
we lost emmit! we lost troy! we lost irvin! i dont wanna lose larry!
:cry:

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Novacek84 said:

Allen was great, but in his prime, Eric Williams was better.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I usually don't condone dirty business tactics, but the Cowboys don't have to cut Allen until April. By then, all the FA dollars will be gone. Dallas can ask Allen to take a pay cut, if he doesn't he could be let go into a depleted market. Unlike Keyshawn, Allen was way overpaid so I wouldn't feel bad if Dallas tried to force him to take a paycut by screwing him in FA.

superpunk

Reaction score
If Larry Allen goes, I can no longer see myself rooting for the Cowboys. Cardinals, here I come! :D

sago1

Reaction score
Will be real sorry to see Larry Allen go. He was one of the greatest OL in history of NFL & was only OL to make the pro bowl at 3 different positions--RG, LT, LG--heck nobody ever did it at 2 positions. I'd like Allen to accept a big cut so he could play 1 more year & then retire as a Cowboy; maybe we'd even win the SB this year for him. Anyway, in preparation for his last year, he should loss a good 25# & get in best physical shape possible; weight loss might increase his mobility, etc. Since it doesn't seem Cowboys even talking to his agent about a pay cut, its time for Larry to go, just like it was their time when Michael, Troy, Emmitt, Darren & Moose had to go. Thanks for the memories Larry.

NorTex

Reaction score
If Larry Allen goes....I will be happy as heck.

Our offensive playbook will open up. We can now run more screens and sweeps.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
what are the possibilities of the Boys cutting LA and re-sign him to a smaller deal and use him as a backup? I know it sounds kind of weird, but it's something that could happen. Same thing could happen with Key.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Dang it. I was trying to get the "who was better in their prime - Larry Allen or Eric Williams?" argument going, but nobody took the bait.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Awakened said:
Dang it. I was trying to get the "who was better in their prime - Larry Allen or Eric Williams?" argument going, but nobody took the bait.

There's really not much bait on the hook.