If Mike Williams is there at #11, does Dallas take him?

mullet

Reaction score
If he shows up in top shape, then I would be on board. I really think, even with defensive problems, we need a young, top end receiver.
If it isn't Mike Williams, then let it be Braylon or Clayton....

Sandman

Reaction score
If Williams is there at #11 (and he will) :skins: he will be a Cowboy. Bill loved this kid, probably reminds himof Key..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think Mike Williams will be long gone before we pick at #11.

Hiero

Reaction score
If he slides to 11, i'd love him to be a cowboy. He'd probably become instantly one of my favorites.

Coy

Reaction score
If he is still at #11, witch I certainly don´t think so, we obviously get him, if not it would be like the Randy Moss mistake.

JBRockBottom31 said:
We don't want to pass up on a franchise WR...anyone have any thoughts?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I believe that Mike Williams will still be around and there’s a good chance he’s around by the 20th pick in the first round.

Scouts were knocking Williams quite a bit, feeling he was too slow (his forty times were in the 4.7’s) and that he would have a hard time getting off the line of scrimmage in the NFL. On top of that, many scouts were saying that Keary Colbert was opening things up for Williams, not the other way around. Colbert had a big knock for having a poor workout and some questions about his attitude, thus he was drafted a bit low.

Anyway, now with Colbert having a great year I’m thinking that scouts will point that out. On top of that, guys that come out of college early typically don’t go as high as they think. Now we’re taking into consideration a guy that came out early, was getting knocked by scouts, and hasn’t played football in one year.

Personally, I’d be a bit ticked off if we selected Williams. One of the reasons why the AFC is so much better than the NFC is because the NFC has actually focused on picking high profile wide receivers whereas the AFC has less high profile WR’s, but better overall teams.

Not to mention that I think Glenn, Johnson, Morgan and Witten make for a nice combination and Crayton and Copper showed some upside, plus they are relatively inexpensive.

We need to focus on pass rushers this offseason and I do believe even if we get a pass rusher in free agency, we still need to get pass rushers in the draft.

Lastly, do we really need to pick up ANOTHER player who is coming to the NFL after being away from the game?

Sure, Williams didn’t go out and play baseball and isn’t a Quarterback. But, he’s still a guy that is playing a position that is tough to transition to and hasn’t played the game in over a year. I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of getting these guys.

Rich…………………

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I would hope not if there is a better player available. If he's the best then take him. Dallas has too many holes. We need to take the best player available at each pick, regardelss of the player-postion. And the only time we should consider trading down is if we know we can do so for a few spots down and still get the player we want at he higher pick position. I would not rule out trading down either, especially with Buffalo's first round pick thst we hsve, in order to get an extra second and third round pick.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I would take him at 11.

Although make no mistake he is not Randy Moss. I think he has a chance to be really good but he does have some serious question marks. People forget what type of player keyshawn Johnson was in college. He was not the possession receiver he was now. He was tremendous after the catch at USC. He used his size to dominate college DB's. The NFL is a different game. JJ Stockes at UCLA was another big receiver who dominated in college. Mike Williams was unstoppable in his two years in college, but his team hasn't really missed a beat without him this year. He also had a top notch coordinator with a lot of talent to spread the ball around too.

I like Williams and would probably take him at 11, but there are clear risks to the player.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Absolutely! The guy is 6-5, fast, with great leaping ability and hands. It's a no brainer which is why I doubt he would fall outside the top 5.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I believe that Mike Williams will still be around and there’s a good chance he’s around by the 20th pick in the first round.

Scouts were knocking Williams quite a bit, feeling he was too slow (his forty times were in the 4.7’s) and that he would have a hard time getting off the line of scrimmage in the NFL. On top of that, many scouts were saying that Keary Colbert was opening things up for Williams, not the other way around. Colbert had a big knock for having a poor workout and some questions about his attitude, thus he was drafted a bit low.

Anyway, now with Colbert having a great year I’m thinking that scouts will point that out. On top of that, guys that come out of college early typically don’t go as high as they think. Now we’re taking into consideration a guy that came out early, was getting knocked by scouts, and hasn’t played football in one year.

Personally, I’d be a bit ticked off if we selected Williams. One of the reasons why the AFC is so much better than the NFC is because the NFC has actually focused on picking high profile wide receivers whereas the AFC has less high profile WR’s, but better overall teams.

Not to mention that I think Glenn, Johnson, Morgan and Witten make for a nice combination and Crayton and Copper showed some upside, plus they are relatively inexpensive.

We need to focus on pass rushers this offseason and I do believe even if we get a pass rusher in free agency, we still need to get pass rushers in the draft.

Lastly, do we really need to pick up ANOTHER player who is coming to the NFL after being away from the game?

Sure, Williams didn’t go out and play baseball and isn’t a Quarterback. But, he’s still a guy that is playing a position that is tough to transition to and hasn’t played the game in over a year. I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of getting these guys.

Rich…………………

Very nice post. My compliments. Great read

Reaction score
I would be thrilled with the pick if we did. We lost Glenn this year and it was basically the end of our offense for the year. We could go to Witten, and Julius made some things happen, but both those guys would have had even better numbers if Glenn had been healthy. We absolutely need a young wide receiver who will be ready to be the #1 in 2 years, and we don't have him on the roster right now. Williams plays like Irvin, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

mullet

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
We need DL help more than WR

You are correct...... BUT, greg ellis was a DL, Moss was a WR.
My point being that the Cowboys still need another WR. and DL could be addressed with other picks.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
mullet said:
You are correct...... BUT, greg ellis was a DL, Moss was a WR.
My point being that the Cowboys still need another WR. and DL could be addressed with other picks.
We could also get a WR with another pick

wxcpo

Reaction score
Personally I would love to see the team move up in an effort to take CB Rolle out of Miami. If that can't happen then I think they should trade down in an effort to acquire additional picks in the 2nd through 5th rounds. They could trade out of the #11 spot move down about 4 or 5 spots and still be able to get one of the top pass rushers such as Roth (Iowa) or Spears (LSU). Then they could even trade down out of the #18 spot and still get a really good CB like Webster (LSU) or Rogers (Auburn). I just don't think WR should be the teams preimary concern. I think with the emergence of Whitten and Glenn and Keyshwn coming back from injuries we have a pretty good lineup at WR and Clayton started showing something at the end that he could possibly be something at the position.