If so many pundits are down on Bollinger as well, why is he here?

WarC

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2385269 said:
Johnson may be the worst QB on any roster in the league right now.

Among starting quarterbacks, certainly.

There are probably a dozen or more teams with better 2nds, too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I can't answer the question as to why Brad Johnson is playing so poorly completely. Part of the answer is it's hard to come off the bench and play well when you've sat so long. It's probably harder for an older person. There are some reasons other than he sucks.

He's not had the best protection and that is something they knew he had to have. He's also throwing the ball off his back foot. At times he's under pressure and others he just has bad mechanics. This guy was throwing the ball well in preseason. He didn't just lose it between then and now.

And they see something in Bollinger. He's just not going to manage the game as well as Johnson. Plenty of players look poor at first esp at QB. Doesn't mean they can't develop. Odds are against him but Bollinger has a chance.

igtmfo

Reaction score
QB ratings for Brad:

2005: 88.9
2006: 72.0
2008: 60.3

(I left out 2007, when he only threw a few passes behind Romo)

He's had longevity in this league, way to go Brad.

But it looks like he's done at this point. I don't know if he's ever had a good arm, but man ... nowadays ...

Some other old QBs in the league, if I got my figures straight:
Favre: 39 (just turned 39)
Garcia: 38
K. Warner: 37

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
jobberone;2385448 said:
I can't answer the question as to why Brad Johnson is playing so poorly completely. Part of the answer is it's hard to come off the bench and play well when you've sat so long. It's probably harder for an older person. There are some reasons other than he sucks.

He's not had the best protection and that is something they knew he had to have. He's also throwing the ball off his back foot. At times he's under pressure and others he just has bad mechanics. This guy was throwing the ball well in preseason. He didn't just lose it between then and now.

And they see something in Bollinger. He's just not going to manage the game as well as Johnson. Plenty of players look poor at first esp at QB. Doesn't mean they can't develop. Odds are against him but Bollinger has a chance.

Jimmy Johnson said that as QBs get older, they lose their leg strength. When you lose your leg strength it affects touch/accuracy.

That's probably why Vinnie was so anal about keeping his legs strong.

Zen

Reaction score
Jerrah sucks. He has always sucked. He is only good with a tough coach to tell him how it is, till they get sick of his lack of football knowledge and they leave after they have enough money to make a little nest egg.(pay ex-wives)

We still have 3 good years to make a run, till the full force of Jerrah takes over and Campo comes back. Maybe he can get Jeff Fischer.

MONT17

Reaction score
Bollinger is going tpo develop? The guy has been cut by 2 teams and has played 4 6 seasons and the ppl in JerryTown think this coaching staff can develop a player who is about 30 yrs old. That's funny, develop a QB... This team has drafted and developd a QB in about 20 yrs but we r going to develop the brooks. Gettin Brooks to develop into a 2cd string QB would be a great start!

aikemirv

Reaction score
I am not going to fuss about the third stringer other than the fact that he is wasting a roster spot that Oglesby could have had.

At the beginning of the season I really was not even remotely concerned with our depth at CB even with cutting Oglesby. But, Ball was out there playing last week and I am just sitting on my couch thinking "Wow"

DT101

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2385141 said:
You put a third QB on the roster to develop them, not to start them.

Brad Johnson will not be around forever, neither will Romo. It costs nothing to put Bollinger on the roster, get a season long look at him and find out if he is worth developing.
I understand sticking a third QB on the roster to develop, but the dude is older than Romo, I dont see why you would add someone that age to develop.

I still think we should start him, he can't do any worse than what Johnson has IMO

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
CATCH17;2385268 said:
Yeah because Jerry has done such a horrible job acquiring talent. :rolleyes:

Catch? Let's have the "roster" of talent Jerry has bought...........oops, frueidian slip, brought us. We have what we have DESPITE lil' Jer. Remember it's only the first season w/o Ireland and a HC with stones.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
I think they should have been developing a good second string QB and had Brad Johnson as the 3rd string. It's almost like they never gave thought to the idea that they might have to do with out Romo someday.
So they didn't put any time or money into a good back up. I think QB should be the top priority. I mean it's the hardest spot to fill and a position you can't do without or just throw anyone on the team out there to do.:confused: :banghead: :confused:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
bbailey423;2385111 said:
I mean to hear people tell it...he has been terrible as well. It is obvious Brad is terrible...but when people bring up Bollinger...people rattle of stats to point out how terrible he is. So again, why are we wasting time grooming Bollinger if he is as terrible as the stats suggest he is?

Because he was an upgrade over Bartel, a guy who has at least played in NFL games...JJ was tweaking the #3 spot when he probably should have been tweaking the #2 spot.

However, why would the gm change the #2 spot when the coach and OC give him the thumbs up on their holder and #2 Brad Johnson? I don't fault JJ on this one...I'm sure Wade and Jason never told him anything other than they were happy with Johnson...I don't think JJ had a clue how weak his performance would be.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BAT;2386270 said:
Jimmy Johnson said that as QBs get older, they lose their leg strength. When you lose your leg strength it affects touch/accuracy.

That's probably why Vinnie was so anal about keeping his legs strong.

Maybe that's it but I doubt it. He was throwing it well in preseason. He didn't all of a sudden lose his leg strength. He's throwing the ball off his back foot. That's part of it. I think he's also guiding the ball and afraid to throw it down the field for fear on putting up an INT. He looks like he's lost his confidence. Well founded if you're going to throw off your back foot and not follow through. He's got to let it go and not guide it in. Take a good back swing then let her rip without thinking about it.

MONT17;2387125 said:
Bollinger is going tpo develop? The guy has been cut by 2 teams and has played 4 6 seasons and the ppl in JerryTown think this coaching staff can develop a player who is about 30 yrs old. That's funny, develop a QB... This team has drafted and developd a QB in about 20 yrs but we r going to develop the brooks. Gettin Brooks to develop into a 2cd string QB would be a great start!

They must see something. Physical gifts and the head to learn the game and manage it as well. As I said the odds are against him but I suspect he can become a bus driver. I doubt they're looking at him as Romo's back up but I could be wrong.