If the Cowboys drafted the equivalent of Ridley next year would you be mad?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The team is currently 68 million under the cap. This pick costs us 12 million more against the cap than the average first round receiver.

Age wise he’s 6 months older than Ridley.

So for those who can’t believe we’d give up a first for a WR, that means you didn’t want Ridley even considered last year or a first round pick in the draft this year?

If he plays 7 seasons here and puts up 4-5 1,000 yard seasons is he worth it?

This isn’t RW11 or JG84 trade because only 1 pick was surrendered as opposed to multiple in those.

And the FO has said in scouting circles we were almost definitely taking a WR in the first next year. So aside from him being more expensive, what’s wrong with getting next years draft pick early?

They were always going to do whatever they could to give Dak every chance possible. If they’d surrendered more than 1 pick yes that’d be horrible or if he was only on the team through this year like ET. But 1.5 years of control, when the alternative was give him to Philly, I’m glad he’s here

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
If he turns out to be the guy then nothing wrong with acquiring him now. This isn't a sling it all over the field offense and hasn't been since 2013. What Cooper needs to do is get his 1000 yards 7 or so TD,s and open things up for the others. Make teams pay for stacking the box and beat single coverage,

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The team is currently 68 million under the cap. This pick costs us 12 million more against the cap than the average first round receiver.

Age wise he’s 6 months older than Ridley.

So for those who can’t believe we’d give up a first for a WR, that means you didn’t want Ridley even considered last year or a first round pick in the draft this year?

That's one opinion. Would you be shocked to learn there are others?

Ridley is in year one of a rookie contract. Cooper is headed into his option year at $14 million meaning the Cowboys have to make a decision soon on whether to "pay" (extend) him. My guess is they already have, so he'd better perform like he did his first 2 years or this deal is going to look awfully dumb a couple years from now.

We'll see.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Ridley is in year one of a rookie contract. Cooper is headed into his option year at $14 million meaning the Cowboys have to make a decision soon on whether to "pay" (extend) him. My guess is they already have, so he'd better perform like he did his first 2 years or this deal is going to look awfully dumb a couple years from now.

We'll see.
Yeah, how funny would it be if he stinks it up here for a year and then they end up letting him walk rather than sign him to a huge contract...

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, how funny would it be if he stinks it up here for a year and then they end up letting him walk rather than sign him to a huge contract...

I mean it is obvious to anyone with a brain that this is what is going to happen

loblolly7

Reaction score

We'll see.

But you must reaslize we got LVE..... He is turning into a real player.... So cooper and LVE versus Ridley and ? I like the former.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s impossible to tell right now.

The thing that bothers me about trading a #1 pick is the potential, future opportunity cost.

We don’t currently know when that pick will be and who will be available during the pick.

For instance, if Dak continues to stink and one of the better QB prospects is available when the cowboys #1 pick would be, then yes I would be very very mad.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And...what if another team just outbids us after 2019 and Cooper chooses to sign elsewhere? There’s no guarantees here either way which adds to the stupidity of giving up a #1.

The only way you give up a #1 for this guy is if:
1. You think this team is almost there...close to being special.
2. You are desperate and your GM plays fantasy football with his team because he has a bulletproof, lifetime contract.

If the first option is the reason, raise your hand if you believe this team is just a player away from being special. Especially with “Coach Tie” at the helm.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
It’s impossible to tell right now.

The thing that bothers me about trading a #1 pick is the potential, future opportunity cost.

We don’t currently know when that pick will be and who will be available during the pick.

For instance, if Dak continues to stink and one of the better QB prospects is available when the cowboys #1 pick would be, then yes I would be very very mad.
There is ZERO chance the team would draft a QB in round 1 next year. They’ll change the system with a new HC/OC and hope that is the fix. Loaded him with weapons. Now he needs to sink or swim. I think a more wide open attack like a Nagy/Reid/McDaniels/Riley would best take advantage of this cast.

Garrett is hoping his system will work with Cooper. He has 9 games for his job. I think a minimum of reaching the divisional round is required. That would mean going 7-2/6-3 with at least one playoff win. Right now that would be a huge surprise but you could build off it if Cooper is the reason for the turnaround. Especially because we’re likely going to have to face the Rams in a divisional game and they’d kill us.

9-7/8-8 and wild card exit or anything less won’t cut it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He's an up-grade over what we have...just scratching the surface.
With Cooper and Gallup..whats not to like.
If we get Frederick back and Cooper settles in nicely....it feels like a re-set and this division is still obtainable.
why not...if you are not moving on from Dak...move on from this current group of receivers.
:starspin:Go Cowboys:starspin:

cern

Reaction score
I'd love to get someone as good as Ridley next year. Especially considering we currently don't have a #1 pick.

Proof

Reaction score

We'll see.

bingo. more accurate quesion would be "would you be mad if the cowboy drafted a guy in the first coming off two straight poor seasons in college, and have to pay him more than any other rookie, and only get him for a year and a half instead of 5"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We'll see.

4 years on a rookie salary plus 5th year option
vs.
Half a season on rookie contract plus 5th year option already exercised

This is a silly thread.

Zman5

Reaction score
Nick Eatman has hinted that unless JG wins a playoff game, he is gone. I think this was a put up or shut up for Dak and JG move. Here is your #1Wr. Produce or both are gone. No more excuses.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's an up-grade over what we have...just scratching the surface.
With Cooper and Gallup..whats not to like.
If we get Frederick back and Cooper settles in nicely....it feels like a re-set and this division is still obtainable.
why not...if you are not moving on from Dak...move on from this current group of receivers.
:starspin:Go Cowboys:starspin:
I doubt Frederick comes back this year.