If the Giants can do it, why can't we (Defense)

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Very easy answer:

Dexter Lawrence
Dalvin Tomlinson
Leonard Williams

Top 5 D front. It makes everything work.

Until we fix this, nothing we do will matter. Those "rushmen" don't stop the other team from going up the middle.
Similar to Wentz Sunday evening, it helped out a lot that Brady was just off for a majority of the game.

Ironically enough, the Giants probably win with Danny Dimes not turning the ball over as much.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let’s see what happens in the final 8 games. If we want to look at it through rose colored glasses we seem to have bookend pass rushers if we resign Aldon. Love the potential of Gregory, Tank and Aldon I really want Anae to get some looks. LVE has survived two games. If he is healthy he is an All-Pro middle linebacker. In the secondary Diggs and Wilson seem to get better the more they play.

We need two stout defensive tackles. The Giants have that and you cannot run on them. It’s gonna cost draft capital and free agent money.

If we spend the first 3 draft choices on Dt, cornerback, and safety maybe we could have serviceable defense.

We can have all elite pass rushers and it won't mean much, if we cannot hold up against the run. I would add linebacker to that list as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They cost $20m per....I doubt we have that money to compete with that spending power.

It doesn't mean you have to spend fa money, find impact plug/play players via the draft. If you are selecting close to the top of the draft, this is possible.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
um m they look better but didnt our bad team hang 34 on them? whats their record?

I get what you are saying and thats already happening.. they let go of low hanging fruit trying to bring in some place holders and this draft amnd FA will again be 80% defense..diggs is improving so that one CB they will most likely grab another Cb/DB in the top 10 this coming draft.. im sure they have their eye on a DT/S/LB as well..

I mean you could simply make this draft easy first 3 picks all defense and you take THE VERY BEST DEFENDER ON THE BOARD WHEN ITS YOUR TURN TO PICK..DONT WORRY ABOUT POSITION WE NEED THEM ALL..NO REACHES, NO PROJECTS, ALL BEST AVAILABLE...

the fact that Poe and Mccoy both never came to fruition and hill got hurt etc etc it just snowballed..they know what they need and im sure have already started making lists..

Upgrading the DL interior helps the DE's, helps the linebackers and even helps the safeties. Add another legitimate corner opposite Diggs and our pass defense dramatically improves.

RS12

Reaction score
Very easy answer:

Dexter Lawrence
Dalvin Tomlinson
Leonard Williams

Top 5 D front. It makes everything work.

Until we fix this, nothing we do will matter. Those "rushmen" don't stop the other team from going up the middle.
Nice to hear somebody who actually understands that if you can't stuff the run, you don't win on any level.

Majic

Reaction score
There 3 man line does a great job. We need something similar

bewp7

Reaction score
coaching.

the anser is just coaching...good coaches can out scheme and out smart the other team. talk about talent all u want but good coaches can take a defensive unit and make them play way better then the sum of its parts.

mike nolans defense is the opposit. never saw so many simple mis communications and lack of fundametals in one unit. and i saw people saying the defense was good vs the eagles....lol. there is a reson people are trashing carson wentz and the eagels play calling...both was TRASH.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Upgrading the DL interior helps the DE's, helps the linebackers and even helps the safeties. Add another legitimate corner opposite Diggs and our pass defense dramatically improves.
Im saying you DO NOT reach for a DT thats not better then a S/CB/LB available at the time you pick..far too many drafts we ended up with taco type player reaching ..you take the very best defender with your first pick.. im not hearing any Aaron donald types in the top 10 this year are you, why go after a DT just because its need.. no you take a DB or LB etc
you have to get the first 2 picks prefect, day 1 defensive starters..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im saying you DO NOT reach for a DT thats not better then a S/CB/LB available at the time you pick..far too many drafts we ended up with taco type player reaching ..you take the very best defender with your first pick.. im not hearing any Aaron donald types in the top 10 this year are you, why go after a DT just because its need.. no you take a DB or LB etc
you have to get the first 2 picks prefect, day 1 defensive starters..

I'm in agreement, you take the best defensive player available. Doesn't look like there are any elite Corners, either. Parsons from Penn State might be the best defensive player in the class being projected this early on. I would have zero issues taking him.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Let’s see what happens in the final 8 games. If we want to look at it through rose colored glasses we seem to have bookend pass rushers if we resign Aldon. Love the potential of Gregory, Tank and Aldon I really want Anae to get some looks. LVE has survived two games. If he is healthy he is an All-Pro middle linebacker. In the secondary Diggs and Wilson seem to get better the more they play.

We need two stout defensive tackles. The Giants have that and you cannot run on them. It’s gonna cost draft capital and free agent money.

If we spend the first 3 draft choices on Dt, cornerback, and safety maybe we could have serviceable defense.

I tend to agree with this one. It's pretty much proven that Nolan's "multiple" front is not the same as a "Tampa 2 with no real DTs" front. I don't know if he needs 2 2 gap DL, but he surely needs one that is better than average, and if the second is a one gapper, at least one that isn't routinely blown off the line.

My brother (RSM94 on this board) and I have followed defensive drafting multiple times. I don't know how many times Dallas has passed on a perfectly good 1T in the late rounds. I would prefer a man eating DT in the Randy White mold, but it's hard to draft two of those. Serviceable 1Ts (i.e. with minimal pass rush) can be found late in drafts, 4th round or lower.

D-

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It doesn't mean you have to spend fa money, find impact plug/play players via the draft. If you are selecting close to the top of the draft, this is possible.

If you want 2 immediate impact players you are going to have to go to the free agency market for at least one of them....unless you want a Poe, Clinon-Dix, Worley basement bargain you'll need to spend.

visionary

Reaction score
The Giants Defense was one of the league worst last season, I believed they finished as the 30th ranked defense. They rank in the teens thus far this year.

-Just like the Cowboys, they have a brand new DC, new hybrid scheme, yet you don't hear from the players how complicated it is. Coming from a 3-4 front, the transition is somewhat easier, but still doesn't excuse the Cowboy failures.

-In the off-season, two fa signings have made a huge difference, signing a legitimate #1 CB in Bradberry and signing MLB Blake Martinez. Could the Cowboys find two impact starters to turnaround their unit?

-Giants have no pass rushers to speak of, yet they have more team sacks then the Cowboys. The biggest difference is that they are ranked #7 against the run, where the Cowboys are dead last at #32. This allows their defense more chances to rush the passer.

As I have stated before, it's clear how to fix our defense, have to get better at stopping the run, to have any chance of success.

By looking at the Giants, it just shows how quickly a defensive unit can be turned around. Hit on a few players and it could take place in a hurry.

this has to be a lie because “knowledgeable “ CZ fans have stated for years that the running game is meaningless when it comes to winning or losing

Dalmations202

Reaction score
The biggest problem I see is that LB's go around instead of through, and your DT's that should be pressuring are hitting a gap and being taken right on out of the play while opening up big holes in the middle of the field. Too much teaching these players to be "rushmen" instead of "defensive linemen" who can read and disrupt a play. There is something to be said for following pulling guards to eliminate cut backs, and demanding double teams, and pushing the pocket so the QB has to stay back and can't step up. Lots of basic skills that don't seem to be taught anymore because everyone only sees the sack totals. Rewarding DE's with crazy contracts because they get sacks due to the inside pressure keeping the QB back seems ludicrous to me, but if sacks mean $$$ then everyone will worry with that and wins come secondary.
Basically Dallas plays very soft.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The Giants Defense was one of the league worst last season, I believed they finished as the 30th ranked defense. They rank in the teens thus far this year.

-Just like the Cowboys, they have a brand new DC, new hybrid scheme, yet you don't hear from the players how complicated it is. Coming from a 3-4 front, the transition is somewhat easier, but still doesn't excuse the Cowboy failures.

-In the off-season, two fa signings have made a huge difference, signing a legitimate #1 CB in Bradberry and signing MLB Blake Martinez. Could the Cowboys find two impact starters to turnaround their unit?

-Giants have no pass rushers to speak of, yet they have more team sacks then the Cowboys. The biggest difference is that they are ranked #7 against the run, where the Cowboys are dead last at #32. This allows their defense more chances to rush the passer.

As I have stated before, it's clear how to fix our defense, have to get better at stopping the run, to have any chance of success.

By looking at the Giants, it just shows how quickly a defensive unit can be turned around. Hit on a few players and it could take place in a hurry.

Because we have JJ and SJ!

All hail the king!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We can have all elite pass rushers and it won't mean much, if we cannot hold up against the run. I would add linebacker to that list as well.
I am looking through rose colored classes. VanJaylon returns to 2018 form.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
The Giants may not have superstars, but they play good defensive football most of the time... it's been their staple all these years...good defense, mediocre offense that is heavily dependent on the run.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
They have good DTs, a tackling machine at LB, and signed a top-10 corner.

We need to re-build the middle of our defense. We need:

2 DTs
2 LBers
2 Safeties
1 Corner

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Need some quality defensive tackles, a linebacker and get rid of Smith and a safety and this defense will be improved. How many years in a row have we said they need a good safety?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I am not claiming the defense will not suck but,

LVE is back from injury
Lee is back from injury and provides depth
Dlaw is getting healthy, and looks like he is improving
Diggs is getting more experience
Gregory is back, and he will get better
Awuzie is coming back, and will improve the defense
There are young dt's and lb'ers getting reps and experience
We’re gonna suck.