If the Joneses are going to resign Zeke they need to do it now

aria

Reaction score
I don't think any of these players are going to take one for the team.
I don’t keep up with basketball much but isn’t not all that uncommon for a much higher percentage of NBA players to take pay cuts in order to put together a “super team” and try to win a championship than in football? Seems like I hear about them doing it much more than NFL players.

I understand they may make more but when you’re talking about several million dollar contracts for both groups of athletes I would think it’s pretty irrelevant. If it were me and I could make say $50 mil guaranteed, I’d much rather win a Super Bowl and take 45 mil guaranteed. And now these guys are haggling over a few million? I don’t get if it’s straight up greed, an ego thing, a combo of both or something else. Probably never will get it either.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don’t keep up with basketball much but isn’t not all that uncommon for a much higher percentage of NBA players to take pay cuts in order to put together a “super team” and try to win a championship than in football? Seems like I hear about them doing it much more than NFL players.

I understand they may make more but when you’re talking about several million dollar contracts for both groups of athletes I would think it’s pretty irrelevant. If it were me and I could make say $50 mil guaranteed, I’d much rather win a Super Bowl and take 45 mil guaranteed. And now these guys are haggling over a few million? I don’t get if it’s straight up greed, an ego thing, a combo of both or something else. Probably never will get it either.
Billionaires fighting with millionaires. lol

Eanwen

Reaction score
Personally I hope he holds out at least until the 2nd PS game so we can see if they put Pollard out there with the ones, and maybe we can see what he can do against starters.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cause he needs to get his fat *** in shape. He's been out of shape to start the past 2 seasons. I don't want where they sign him just before week one or after cause it's going to take him 2 months to get into shape.
This is on Zeke not the Jones.

Also, the last time he went to Cabo he came back in the best shape ever.

BackInTown

Reaction score
I completely agree with this post except for the thing about having "the next Emmitt". I remember watching one of the all time great teams in NFL history lose the first two games of the season in 1993. Due to a contract dispute with Emmitt Smith and Jerry. That said, I don't disagree with anything else. Zeke has been out of shape for multiple weeks the past two seasons. And he's a goober off the field and has very little leverage aside from the fact that Garrett has deliberately overused him for mediocre teams.

To be clear, this is less leverage than Emmitt in 1993, who had just elevated an above average but not quite ready team in 1991 to a 1992 SB team.

One thing Zeke isn't, is dumb. He gets it. His happy-go-lucky personality is very un-triplets-like. But he has the talent, and he sees a bigger picture. If Jerry is smart, he will put Zeke's holdout in the context of Emmitt's... commit to a bigger payday than he is asking for IF he gets the team to a SB victory. And puts this commitment in black ink, likely with a raise and escalators for this year. This not only contextualizes the issue and deescalates it (see the opposite in LeVeon Bell), but it also would put Zeke's pride and self-confidence explicitly on the line. Both sides could win simultaneously with a SB. Will this happen? I'm not exactly holding my breath. But ppl gotta contextualize this stuff.

BackInTown

Reaction score
Also, before anyone gets self-righteous about this, I know that Emmitt was there in 1990-91. And he had a pretty good year in 91. But his transcendence really was the key to the 1992 team's success. Which was my point.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If only Jerry and Stephen would have kept their mouths shut and not said publicly that they were going to give him Gurley money.

Agreed. They did not help themselves and must have thought Zeke was good waiting until next year.

dckid

Reaction score
To heck with Zeke. I know it won't happen but I can still hope he ends up unemployed. Like Krap-er-nick.
What does Kapernick have to do with Zeke? Just wondering..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s really no hurry. He would not see any action in preseason and won’t need to risk injury at camp.

We just need him by September 8th. That’s the deadline. Maybe a few days of practice.