If this is not an indictment on coaches. I don't know what is

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Every year the Cowboys "appear" to have little cap room.....but yet we don't have anything to show for what we are spending

If we have a "franchise" DE in terms of what he is being paid
If we have a "franchise" LT in terms of what he is being paid
If we have a "franchise" C in terms of what he is being paid
If we have a "franchise" WR in terms of what he is being paid
If we are about to spend "franchise" money on a RG

Zeke is an All Pro RB. Sean Lee is an All Pro LB. Witten is a future HOFer at TE(although I am on record saying his snaps should have been reduced 3 years ago). Our RT is a first round talent

Between the draft resources used to draft Mo Claiborne and Byron Jones. The money spent on Brandon Carr...the draft resources used last year on the secondary....we have certainly "spent" on the secondary.

If the front office has deemed these resources (money/high draft picks) were warranted....at what point do they question the individuals cooking the meal? Because we have certainly spent a lot of resources on groceries!

kevm3

Reaction score
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

(Somebody has ANOTHER poopie diaper...)
Yea let's say nothing and cruise to another 20 years of mediocrity. Dallas is hovering around lions and Bengals status right now.

Proof

Reaction score
Every year the Cowboys "appear" to have little cap room.....but yet we don't have anything to show for what we are spending

Zeke is an All Pro RB. Sean Lee is an All Pro LB. Witten is a future HOFer at TE(although I am on record saying his snaps should have been reduced 3 years ago). Our RT is a first round talent

Between the draft resources used to draft Mo Claiborne and Byron Jones. The money spent on Brandon Carr...the draft resources used last year on the secondary....we have certainly "spent" on the secondary.

If the front office has deemed these resources (money/high draft picks) were warranted....at what point do they question the individuals cooking the meal? Because we have certainly spent a lot of resources on groceries!

I really dislike our coach. but we have a franchise de NOW. and only for one year out of his four. Our franchise LT is a stud, but now goes out at key moments. Dez has obviously fallen off a cliff. Zeke was suspended, Sean Lee has missed critical streches.

Not a defense of the coaching/FO whatsoever. But laying out those guys without context doesnt really tell the whole story. We've had some really weird luck/dynamics at how guys have blossomed and/or gotten injured, and/or priced themselves at inopportune times. 2014 and 2016 were the two years in recent history that things aligned properly for us, and yes coaching staff squandered it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Coaches, and now a lack of a franchise QB (largely because of coaches).

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Good question ..

It’s difficult for me to measure how much blame to place on lack of talent in key areas versus lack of coaching. I certainly believe it’s a combination of both. But it’s difficult for me to be as critical last year after we lost some of this key elite talent to injury and suspension.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I really dislike our coach. but we have a franchise de NOW. and only for one year out of his four. Our franchise LT is a stud, but now goes out at key moments. Dez has obviously fallen off a cliff. Zeke was suspended, Sean Lee has missed critical stretches.

Not a defense of the coaching/FO whatsoever. But laying out those guys without context doesn't really tell the whole story. We've had some really weird luck/dynamics at how guys have blossomed and/or gotten injured, and/or priced themselves at inopportune times. 2014 and 2016 were the two years in recent history that things aligned properly for us, and yes coaching staff squandered it.
I can't buy this after what the Eagles just did. And based on what Jerry has said....he is not buying it any more. The Eagles coaching staff coached their rear ends off to give the 53 men available the BEST chance to win. They won with a QB that we did not even want. And lets not forget...Chip Kelly won with Nick Foles as well. While we could not win, we could not score...we could not even get first downs with Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassell. I am on record that Garrett should have been fired after that season....but I guess Jerry thought injuries was a good excuse.

And honestly...for the way Garrett is trying to win....being healthy is a MUST. I am of the belief that Jerry is not a football man...because he does not seem to grasp that Jason approach to winning football games is "be better than the man in front of you". Well you give me 53 players better than the 53 on the opposing sideline....and I could be a NFL head coach! Never could understand all the stories we hear about Garrett being the last one to leave the building every night. We are so vanilla on offense AND defense....I am not sure why he burns the midnight oil. Which is another sign of how Garrett has old man Jones fooled. Jerry.....WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proof

Reaction score
I can't buy this after what the Eagles just did. And based on what Jerry has said....he is not buying it any more. The Eagles coaching staff coached their rear ends off to give the 53 men available the BEST chance to win. They won with a QB that we did not even want. And lets not forget...Chip Kelly won with Nick Foles as well. While we could not win, we could not score...we could not even get first downs with Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassell. I am on record that Garrett should have been fired after that season....but I guess Jerry thought injuries was a good excuse.

And honestly...for the way Garrett is trying to win....being healthy is a MUST. I am of the belief that Jerry is not a football man...because he does not seem to grasp that Jason approach to winning football games is "be better than the man in front of you". Well you give me 53 players better than the 53 on the opposing sideline....and I could be a NFL head coach! Never could understand all the stories we hear about Garrett being the last one to leave the building every night. We are so vanilla on offense AND defense....I am not sure why he burns the midnight oil. Which is another sign of how Garrett has old man Jones fooled. Jerry.....WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, for sure. Eagles proved it can be done. But it’s also the exception. No one is losing the talent they did and not skipping a beat. And again, I’m not excusing the coaching or FO, but we did catch some untimely breaks

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for sure. Eagles proved it can be done. But it’s also the exception. No one is losing the talent they did and not skipping a beat. And again, I’m not excusing the coaching or FO, but we did catch some untimely breaks
Again....I don't think it is that simple as untimely breaks. Philosophically....the way Garrett is attemtpting to win football games will fail when we encounter injuries. Which in the sport of football is bound to happen. The Rams....hired a young offensive mind in Sean McVay that almost everyone has pegged for stardom...and he took a QB and a RB that everyone were ready to call busts....and has that franchise positioned for sustained success.

We have become so accustomed to the status quo...that many don't realize Nick Foles....just won more postseason games in ONE YEAR...than the Dallas Cowboys have in the past 20 years!!!!!!!!!! And lining up with the same coach and players next year...and expecting something different than we have experienced for over the past 20 years...will result in more the same. The Jones family and the Garrett family are laughing all the way to the bank...because there are no repercussions for the lack of results year after year after year!

Proof

Reaction score
Again....I don't think it is that simple as untimely breaks. Philosophically....the way Garrett is attemtpting to win football games will fail when we encounter injuries. Which in the sport of football is bound to happen. The Rams....hired a young offensive mind in Sean McVay that almost everyone has pegged for stardom...and he took a QB and a RB that everyone were ready to call busts....and has that franchise positioned for sustained success.

We have become so accustomed to the status quo...that many don't realize Nick Foles....just won more postseason games in ONE YEAR...than the Dallas Cowboys have in the past 20 years!!!!!!!!!! And lining up with the same coach and players next year...and expecting something different than we have experienced for over the past 20 years...will result in more the same. The Jones family and the Garrett family are laughing all the way to the bank...because there are no repercussions for the lack of results year after year after year!

You're preaching to the choir. My point about injuries and bad breaks was in response to listing out our top end talent. And each of them had SOME issue (injury, suspension, injury and suspension, not breaking out until the contract year etc) that doesn't allow for a linear thought process re: talent/results.

kskboys

Reaction score
Actually, IMO, those untimely breaks showed just how thinly we were built.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I’ve studied this team’s architecture, the more it seems like they just plan a year at a time. There seems to be little thought about long term implications...or at the very least, their long term thoughts are just incorrect.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
IMO, the Cowboys have too much invested in the OL, creating a significant imbalance in the talent across the roster. Exacerbating this dilemma is having a QB who may need all those shiny, offensive pieces around him to be effective.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
IMO, the Cowboys have too much invested in the OL, creating a significant imbalance in the talent across the roster. Exacerbating this dilemma is having a QB who may need all those shiny, offensive pieces around him to be effective.
This could be true....because if we have the "best" LT....the "best" C....the "best" RG....a 1st round talent at RT....what has that translated too? I know we are trying to re-create the 90s offense...but we spent very little resources on that OL in the 90s. This OL is very good when healthy....but we have spent a LOT of resources in terms of draft picks and cap dollars...with very little to show for it!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao.. I thought "garrett was rebuilding wade's mess" .........take away his challenges and timeout and he can just sit in a recliner on the sidelines. he could still clap from the chair.

Fan54

Reaction score
Dallas could use some coaches that can be innovative as well as inspiring grins and giggles from the players...NFL has changed a bit since Linehan and Marinelli were fresh faced kids...Garrett hasn't dazzled anyone with HCing acumen...Many, if not most, would agree that Dallas needs a GM that is not emotionally attached to ownership or personnel...and that the Jones' would give control over franchise decisions that affect quality of the product on the field....Nope, Dallas has become the hobbyhorse of JJ and Son....fire up that bus and let's party...winning another Championship would be nice, but not crucial.
The old days were a testament to building a Legendary Franchise...the past 20+ years have been a testament to riding that once-great horse into the ground.