If Vic Fangio or Zimmer- here's our Defense

quickccc

Reaction score
If Vic Fangio becomes our new DC (strongly assuming Quinn departs to be HC)
Here could be a possible look at his starting front seven lineup in his 3-4 scheme:

RDE – Gallimore
NT – Watkins ?
LDE – Osa

OLB – Dlaw
MLB- Parson
MLB- ?
OLB – Gregory

If Mike Zimmer becomes our new DC
Here could be a possible look at his front seven lineup: in his 4-3 scheme:

LDE - Dlaw
1 tech - Watkins
3 tech – Gallimore
RDE - Gregory

OLB - Cox ?
MLB – Parsons
OLB - ?

75boyz

Reaction score
Fangio, Martindale and Zimmer are all pretty good options if Quinn left.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will say that in the case of Zimmer he has ran both 3-4 and 4-3. What I would would want to know in an interview with any potential hire is have him look at the personnel and how he would intend on using them. What Quinn did was adjust things he has done before based on the players he had to work with. Parson I think was a big reason for him looking to adjust his schemes.

For me more than scheme is the ability to put the pieces in situations where they can excel.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It's been a minute since there's actually been some talent on defense, so whoever comes in will have a decent situation to make something happen.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Here could be a possible look at his starting front seven lineup in his 3-4 scheme:

RDE – Gallimore
NT – Watkins ?
LDE – Osa

OLB – Dlaw
MLB- Parson
MLB- ?
OLB – Gregory

LDE - Dlaw
1 tech - Watkins
3 tech – Gallimore
RDE - Gregory

OLB - Cox ?
MLB – Parsons
OLB - ?

I like the idea of Fangio. He's a better DC than Quinn, IMO. I think everywhere he goes he fields a top-10 defense. I'm not sold on Zimmer. I would rather have Brian Flores over him since his players loved playing for him. I think the players play harder for a coach they like and can relate to.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I will say that in the case of Zimmer he has ran both 3-4 and 4-3. What I would would want to know in an interview with any potential hire is have him look at the personnel and how he would intend on using them. What Quinn did was adjust things he has done before based on the players he had to work with. Parson I think was a big reason for him looking to adjust his schemes.

For me more than scheme is the ability to put the pieces in situations where they can excel.
You hit the nail on the head. Utilize your best players and build a scheme around there strengths. If only we could do that on offense.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
What about that Bossman Super Fat, Bohanna, from Kentucky? Is he gonna be a player?

I like Zimmer.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

RDE – Gallimore
NT – Watkins ?
LDE – Osa

OLB – Dlaw
MLB- Parson
MLB- ?
OLB – Gregory

LDE - Dlaw
1 tech - Watkins
3 tech – Gallimore
RDE - Gregory

OLB - Cox ?
MLB – Parsons
OLB - ?
not sure if we have the personnel to be a 3-4 defense. if we had trouble stopping the run with 4 DL men, it will be even worse with an undersided 3-4 and D-Law isn't an OLB. we tried that with Nolan last year and he was uncomfortable rushing from a standup position......

Creeper

Reaction score
If they go 3-4, and I hope they don't, I think Gallimore is a NT and Watkins plays DE. The NT rotation would be Gallimore and Bohanna with Hill, Odighizuwa, Watkins, and someone else rotating as DEs.

I think ths defense is really close so I would not mess it up just because of Parsons. I think having Parsons at LB is a good way to use him.

buddieluver

Reaction score
Only knock I have against Zimmer it has been said he terrible at evaluating drafted players when is the last time Vikings drafted a stud on defense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only knock I have against Zimmer it has been said he terrible at evaluating drafted players when is the last time Vikings drafted a stud on defense.
Probably Danielle Hunter. But in fairness, they have offense heavy the last few drafts in the early rounds

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I can't get back on the Zimmer bandwagon. Last time he was in Dallas the defense was feast or famine largely based on his propensity to either play soft zones or cover-0 blitzes. He's a hard ***, stubborn guy and I think the league has or is in the process of passing him by.

I think Fangio has to be the first choice if Quinn leaves. If Flores is interested, he's probably my #2.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

RDE – Gallimore
NT – Watkins ?
LDE – Osa

OLB – Dlaw
MLB- Parson
MLB- ?
OLB – Gregory

LDE - Dlaw
1 tech - Watkins
3 tech – Gallimore
RDE - Gregory

OLB - Cox ?
MLB – Parsons
OLB - ?

Since they were playing a multiple scheme won't have an issue within the front 7. Two deep safeties in Vangio's system might mean Kearse becomes less of a must sign.

Majic

Reaction score
1) Fangio
2) Martindale
3) Flores

We're the Dallas Cowboys for goodness sake. Let's get the best guy on the market