If we cover all bases before the draft, do we just draft for depth?

Dalmations202

Reaction score
The draft is an upgrade game, so it doesn't matter because every year we have players that can play the position (just depends on how well).

Every year Dallas should be evaluating their own players, and drafting players they think will either add enhancement skills to the team or will grow into starters.

Strict BPA doesn't work, but neither does anything else that anyone has found or we would have consistent Superbowl winners. So a modified BPA that factors in needs, positions, current players strengths and ages ends up being how Dallas will draft.

But when it is said and done......evaluate, build your board, and stick to it while realizing that if you draft a position, then it may take it out of play. Ex: if in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th a TE is the BPA.....you might not want to draft all of them with the ones already on the team since you will probably only keep 4 max.

I personally think Dallas does a poor job of evaluation of their existing team strengths, and sets their board up poorly..........but they seem to do as good or better than most teams.

Big_D

Reaction score
Covering their bases just stops them from reaching, you’re still and always looking for starters. Players better than what you already got.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This to me has 2009 draft all over it. I love the fact that we can go in with no major glaring needs, but I don't want us to get guys who won't play much this season. Please give me your thoughts
We need a tight end, 1 tech and a tackle/guard. We will fill those spots with our top 4 picks.

exciter

Reaction score
This to me has 2009 draft all over it. I love the fact that we can go in with no major glaring needs, but I don't want us to get guys who won't play much this season. Please give me your thoughts
Lol, you draft for 4 years, not 1! You do that every year….Regardless of what you do in FA! If a CB is clearly the BPA you have to strongly consider taking him. Gilmore is a one year high end rental. Diggs is a FA. Gives you a little bit of negotiating power with Diggs next offseason!

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey, I have an idea. We are loaded, so why don't we just draft only Special Teamers????

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think it is always a bit of both. I think anyone who drafts purely for need ends up reaching for players and ends up being a wasted pick.
I agree.

I just think the rigid BPA approach after a certain drop off in Lottery-like talent could become counter productive.

But...the safest thing to do is go BPA for sure. And I am not saying safe as a way of watering down that school of thought. Its the smartest approach.

I definitely see how reaching and drafting for need can turn into wasted picks. I bet hindsight has shown teams they should have picked BPA over need more often than not.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You can find a starter over the stop gaps or shuffled positions.
R1 DI, TE, LG all likely start.
RB, LB, nickel CB would all have a shot at starting or real playing time.

Edge and QB about the only two positions where a guy would start out buried on depth chart.
Dallas fills glaring holes pre-draft but they also give the R1 a shot always.

Unless you get lucky with health a lot more draftees are going to play than we'd like.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree.

I just think the rigid BPA approach after a certain drop off in Lottery-like talent could become counter productive.

But...the safest thing to do is go BPA for sure. And I am not saying safe as a way of watering down that school of thought. Its the smartest approach.

I definitely see how reaching and drafting for need can turn into wasted picks. I bet hindsight has shown teams they should have picked BPA over need more often than not.
Drafting BPA leads to not improving your team. Hindsight will also show that teams who took BPA did not improve. Lions are the example I can think of, when they took a WR high in the draft 2-3 years in a row. No one uses BPA as a draft strategy, doesn't work.

It is incredibly foolish to only employ one strategy when drafting, especially one as simplistic as BPA.

There are many failures on both sides of this coin, as neither BPA nor Needs should be used as a standalone strategy. The draft is to improve your team. Drafting in areas that are already strong does not improve your team.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
It’s what we do every year. Fill needs with cheap vets and draft BPA. We stack top talent

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
BPA based off needs in the next few seasons. Real BPA just doesn't exist in the modern NFL due to the salary cap.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2009 draft was a disaster and one of the worst in cowboy history. We can easilly upgrade a few positions including DT, TE, slot CB, and LB.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
The 2009 draft was a disaster and one of the worst in cowboy history. We can easilly upgrade a few positions including DT, TE, slot CB, and LB.
Does 2009 even count as a draft for the cowboys. They had like five picks and did not pick until like 68th or something.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Drafting BPA leads to not improving your team. Hindsight will also show that teams who took BPA did not improve. Lions are the example I can think of, when they took a WR high in the draft 2-3 years in a row. No one uses BPA as a draft strategy, doesn't work.

It is incredibly foolish to only employ one strategy when drafting, especially one as simplistic as BPA.

There are many failures on both sides of this coin, as neither BPA nor Needs should be used as a standalone strategy. The draft is to improve your team. Drafting in areas that are already strong does not improve your team.
But BPA is the drum that is beat the loudest on this board. Not a variation of it....just flat out BPA.

Big Star beat me to it...I was going to suggest BPA at position of need assuming the team think the players at the BPA at position of need evaluate as being worthy of that draft pick number. You dont just draft Barbie Carpenter because he is the best player available at your teams position of need. The player has to be somewhat worthy of the draft slot I would assume.

But yeah...Im just frustrated with strict wording of BPA and not BPA that makes sense to the team by posters. Ultimately its a variation of BPA...but it needs more context. In coming "It doesnt need more context if you have half a brain" comments.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1st round pick is automatic plug n play. Ask yourself where a guy come in and start immediately: LG, TE, LB, NT and RB (split duties).

bigE79

Reaction score
We tried that before...it sucked..never draft like 09 ever again.